Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (Florida_Born_99)      Join Date: Jul 2011       08-02-2011, 10:09 PM Reply   
Hey guys and gals,
I'm a newbie here, so be easy. I am looking at purchasing a 2007 Wakesetter VTX and I went to the dealership today to give it a good look over. The overall boat was clean, needs a good detail but nothing that could not fix cosmetically. While I was inspecting I opened the rear center seat hatch and took out the pan below to view the v-drive compartment and to my surprise it had almost 6" of standing water in it. Up about 4" onto the V-drive case. So I then opened the small (1'x1') compartment hatch right in the center of the boat (next to the drivers seat) and same thing! The hard ballast tank in there and the two ballast pumps were in approx 7" of standing water. There was also water puddles in some pans under seats. It has rained very hard here lately so I'm sure it collected rain water because the boat is only on a yard trailer which is not high enough in the front. The plug was out but only minimal drainage when the boat was rocked.

I then inspected the engine compartment and everything looked fine, just about 1" or so of water down on the hull bottom but nothing was submersed.

So to my question. Is this bad, will it reek havoc on the electrical system for the ballast wiring and such, could it effect the V-drive housing, please elaborate if you can.

The dealer said its no big deal at all, that its fine to have that but it needed to be drained before the boat is started and run? I'm looking for a non-dealer opinion on this one if you can believe that.

Please help if you can?

Thanks in advance!
Old     (superair502)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-02-2011, 10:35 PM Reply   
Check the v drive and transmission for water most have vents that can take on water when the bilge is really full. I'm not familiar with Malibus but I guess the floor of the boat is divided into separate compartments from your post? Water should not effect the pumps, mine in the ski locker has been completely submersed before as my sack leaks and it was no problem. Even if it is 16 gauge wire shouldn't be that expensive. A tranny or vdrive filled with water can be though. I can't believe they would just let a boat sit in the rain like that though, doesn't sound well taken care of.
Old     (jbird)      Join Date: Jun 2011       08-03-2011, 12:15 AM Reply   
Tell the dealer you want a test drive, you want it detailed, you want it dry, and you wanna make sure everything is operational!
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       08-03-2011, 5:54 AM Reply   
and then tell the dealer to pull the center t handle plug when the boat is stored outside... duh! Who wants to sink a boat on a trailer because of rain?
Old     (Florida_Born_99)      Join Date: Jul 2011       08-03-2011, 4:29 PM Reply   
Guys thanks for the quick responses! I have a test drive set up for tomorrow to put it through the paces and we'll go from there. The dealer has stated that they have done a compression check and all cylinders are fine. Should I bring in an outside tech to do my own pre-purchase inspection?

Shawndoggy -and then tell the dealer to pull the center t handle plug when the boat is stored outside... duh! Who wants to sink a boat on a trailer because of rain?

Are you refering to the center plug in the rear of the transome? Or another type specifc to that boat?

Thanks again
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       08-03-2011, 4:54 PM Reply   
There should be a hatch on the floor next to the drivers seat. There's a t handle plug in there.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            08-03-2011, 5:22 PM Reply   
We always had left out the center plug (the one hes referring to as there are 2 drain plugs). Right near that center ballast tank-brass t handle when it was trailered. It was the lowest part of the hull and would always collect water.
Old     (Florida_Born_99)      Join Date: Jul 2011       08-03-2011, 7:45 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawndoggy View Post
There should be a hatch on the floor next to the drivers seat. There's a t handle plug in there.
Ahh man I didn't even see that, I guess I was just concerned with the level of water. I saw the bilge pump and one of the ballast pumps right there must of missed the plug! Dang

Thanks for the heads up!

I'll locate it tomorrow when we get ready to test drive it.
Old     (Bamabonners)      Join Date: Jul 2011       08-03-2011, 7:59 PM Reply   
No big deal. My vlx did that to me when I first got it and it rained in. There are 2 t handles ( one next to driver a one next to v drive ) and then the exterior plug in back. The lowest part of the boat when it is trailered is the front.

Just make sure water didn't touch the starter. Ballast pump should be fine.
Old     (docdrs)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-03-2011, 8:14 PM Reply   
I would also ask what type of driveshaft seal there is. Is it a dripless and is it still dripless and if so what warranty is there. With a dripless there should be no NO water in your bilge under a water test. Maybe a little ie 8 oz from leakage due to in n out skiers but that is
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            08-04-2011, 5:40 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by docdrs View Post
I would also ask what type of driveshaft seal there is. Is it a dripless and is it still dripless and if so what warranty is there. With a dripless there should be no NO water in your bilge under a water test. Maybe a little ie 8 oz from leakage due to in n out skiers but that is
We had one of those limited edition gusher type shaft packing seals lol. Would have to kick on the bilge multiple times while out on the water. So yes to the OP, if you're still collecting water with the plugs in and ur out on the water, inspect your driveshaft.
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       08-04-2011, 5:54 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by LR3w8kbrdr View Post
So yes to the OP, if you're still collecting water with the plugs in and ur out on the water, inspect your driveshaft.
And rudder. Mine is worn and leaks a bit. Replaced my shaft packing with that GFO virtually dripless and it works great, not really getting anything through the shaft seal and it doesn't run hot. With the rudder leaking the pump comes on every 5-6 hours in the water sitting still or every 1-2 while driving. It's on my end of season to-do list.