Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (me007gold)      Join Date: Jul 2010       07-18-2010, 10:56 AM Reply   
Looking to get in to wakeboarding, and I am looking for advice on a 1st board. Iooking to do this on the cheaper end of things just in case. I am 5"10 215lb, so I think i need a 141 or a 143 board right? Ive found 3 boards that seem to be decent and in my price range. CWB Faze, CWB Realm or the Hyperlite Motive. This will be a board my chick wants to use as well, shes 5"5 about 120. I know those boards may be a bit big for her but I am thinking we could make it work. Any one have any ideas or suggestions?
Old     (wakeboardgeezer)      Join Date: May 2009       07-18-2010, 2:06 PM Reply   
Hey Mike,..

I would start out with 3 things:

1. Research- bindings
2. Research-boards
3. Research-riding how-to's

Personal preference and different riding styles seem to have alot to do with what one rider thinks is a good board over another, so any advice you get from others should be tempered with that in mind.

The threads here are full of advice on beginners boards, in addition there is a list of boards with reviews pros and cons from folks who have demoed them under the "Gear" link.

So you might spend some time searching the forum and forum archives, as you will find all kinds of info on choosing a new board.

There used to be a board finder before the new site was put up and I see it is still under construction so maybe check back later on that one.

What you might do before you buy is seek the advice of someone at a Pro-Shop and actually ride a few first so you make a good purchase decision without wasting money.

If you have some friends that ride you might try to hit them up for a demo ride or two (don't forget to help out with gas etc) and see if you think this sport might be for you and your girl before you put down some change and find out later its not.

Everybody's story is different but I started out with a borrowed board then bought a cheap off brand continuous rocker board that had "universal one size fits all" bindings so that more than one rider could use them.

The disadvantage of universal bindings is that they generally do not "custom fit" your foot and
therefore will probably not be as comfortable as they otherwise could be with a one size binding.

After about 6 months I bought a CWB Sol off the net.

After 3-4 years of riding I added an O'Brien Natural, Hyperlite Era, Roam, Ronix One and a few others.

The sport can be expensive when you consider gear, gas, boat, life jacket, handle/line, injuries etc and whatever you spend on a board you shouldn't skimp on bindings as they are just as important if not more so than the board choice you make.

Anyway good luck to you in your search for a first board.
Old     (MoombaRiderJ)      Join Date: Jun 2010       07-19-2010, 12:17 PM Reply   
I ride the Hyperlite Motive...and really enjoy the board. I'm 5'10 176lbs but I'm only on the 137. I think the board offers solid pop, smooth transitions, soft landings. Personally I would not recommend letting the spouse/girlfriend use the same one you are looking to buy. The bindings will cause an issue more than likely and the board you need is even bigger than my board and I would not put her on my board based on the height and weight you mentioned.
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-19-2010, 1:37 PM Reply   
Here is a deal for you that will fit. Binders do not look like the best, but heck it won't matter a ton when you are just starting out and this is great deal.

http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=781730

Show your GF you love her and get her a deck and bindings. Seriously, you are way too far apart in size to really a single deck work. Go to any online wakeshop and you will find tons of good lady's bindings and decks from a year or two past for cheap. A deck that is 131-135cm would be about right and I like CWB bindings with the hinge for the new riders. Comfy and super easy to get on and off.
Old     (stu929)      Join Date: Jun 2010       07-19-2010, 1:56 PM Reply   
Get the Deal above for yourself then the link below plus some womans bindings and you are good to go and and grab some bindings for her. If shes 9-11 the second link will work as well.

Good luck!

http://www.thedailysteal.com/?utm_so...aign=Affiliate

http://www.boardersbestbuy.com/
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-19-2010, 3:03 PM Reply   
Yeah +2 about getting the girl her own deck. A quick national C list search turned up four very nice LF Divas for between 150--250 bucks in good shape with bindings.
Old     (me007gold)      Join Date: Jul 2010       07-19-2010, 3:22 PM Reply   
any opinions on this board? I can get it with bindings for 99.00 at a local sporting good store

Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-19-2010, 3:49 PM Reply   
I am fairly new as well. just upgrading to my second board...still looking. The best thing I ever did is get the CWB boots with the hinge. I love the way they fit even over some much more expensive boots I tried. The ease of getting them on is great. When you learning you will wreck and get pulled out of the boots and the hinge makes it so much easier to get back on. I have the factions and love them. I would also look at the vapor as a first boot on a budget.
+3 with your girl is going to need her own board. I did what was suggested above and found a deal on a used board binding combo. Works out great. good luck and have fun!
Old     (mike3500)      Join Date: Jun 2008       07-19-2010, 4:44 PM Reply   
Michael,

Welcome to the sport. Once you get up, you'll be addicted.

I'm 6' at 225lbs, I love my Hyperlite 3DS. I believe it's the 143, but not positive. I also have the 3DS boots. Love those too. Good luck.
Old     (me007gold)      Join Date: Jul 2010       07-19-2010, 5:09 PM Reply   
Just said screw it, and bought the fuse. it game with the cwb 7 bindings. I figured that I could not get a cheaper "start up" kit. The question I have now. is are the bindings on wrong? it seems like the left is on the right, and the right is on the left. Or am i just crazy?

]
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-19-2010, 6:03 PM Reply   
Damn dude... whats wrong with your foot? The toes are on all backwards...

wierd..... just strange
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-19-2010, 6:12 PM Reply   
never seen a foot like that but the binding looks great.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       07-19-2010, 9:47 PM Reply   
I think you do have the left foot on the right and vice versa. Switch that around. Another thing is you have the toes pointing inward they need to at least be perpendicular to the edge of the board, but I think you will find it more comfortable to have the facing at least 10 degrees outward.