Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 21, 2008

Old     (dc9669)      Join Date: May 2005       02-02-2008, 7:59 PM Reply   
Saw this one at our boat show.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (gti2lo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       02-02-2008, 8:22 PM Reply   
That boat makes me chuckle everytime...

if you wanted a corvette just go to the Chevy dealer and buy one...
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       02-02-2008, 8:29 PM Reply   
I saw the same boat tonight. It's well done and I think that the attention to detail was pretty good. It had a sold sign on it with a disclaimer that the dealer would be happy to order another.
Old     (sanddragon2004)      Join Date: Jul 2005       02-02-2008, 9:06 PM Reply   
how fast do those corvette malibus go? do they have the top speed of the typical wake boats or does it actually haul ass like a corvette boat should?
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-02-2008, 10:06 PM Reply   
I THINK THOSE BOATS OR ANY LIMITED EDITION BOAT IS STUPID!

It costs a lot of money to bring a limited edition boat to market... if they charged for that boat for all the costs that went into it.. that would be fine...

But when they spread the cost across their entire line up... its gotta pi$$ off the person who is buying one of the regular models but is paying a higher cost because of these stupid project boats...

Boat builders should stick to building what will sell and not just be for display purposes and try and keep the prices affordable!
Old     (ponte_06_x2)      Join Date: Jan 2006       02-02-2008, 10:19 PM Reply   
no matter what color they make that thing. its still ugly
Old     (wakeboardnut)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-02-2008, 10:28 PM Reply   
i personally like it, its neat and if you have the money, why the heck not!!

my dad on the other hand has a Z06 vette and he is a vette nut, but he literally couldnt care less for that boat.

to each there own. :-)
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-03-2008, 8:25 AM Reply   
If they wanted to really make it like a vette, they would have put the engine under the hood.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       02-03-2008, 8:49 AM Reply   

quote:

But when they spread the cost across their entire line up...

This has been said a lot. I'd like to think the people that post stuff like this have a clue of the interworkings of Malibu and/or GM, but I know better.

I like the 'vette boats, older and current. It's just novelty for rich people. Not sure why all the hate - there are a lot worse things out there that actually deserve it. (PWC's, quads, H3's, Fords...)
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-03-2008, 9:12 AM Reply   
Trace, you say 'you know better'. Do you have any inside information that states this isn't the case.
Old     (ponte_06_x2)      Join Date: Jan 2006       02-03-2008, 9:24 AM Reply   
its not hate. its just stating that the boat if fugly. thats all
Old     (mcwakerider)      Join Date: Dec 2006       02-03-2008, 10:20 AM Reply   
the vette boat would be sick to have on a lake like lake tulloch. You could cruise around the lake and to other ppls houses on the water
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       02-03-2008, 1:00 PM Reply   
Leo- Do you have any inside info saying this is the case?
Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-03-2008, 1:26 PM Reply   
Dead Horse...You have about 90 minutes to go buy a case of beer before the game starts.

After it's over we can all go back to playing who's dck is the biggest.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-03-2008, 1:35 PM Reply   
I think they do it just to piss the haters off. So don't buy a Malibu. More for the rest of us.

I haven't seen the blue one till now..... looks pretty sweet.... even if I never would own one.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       02-03-2008, 3:12 PM Reply   
I guess I should have said "It's pretty safe to assume they don't."
Old     (sanddragon2004)      Join Date: Jul 2005       02-03-2008, 3:24 PM Reply   
if you have the money to buy a hot rod boat ur gonna buy a hot rod boat not a wanna be hot rod boat!

reminds me of something from pimp my ride.

give me a corvette infused old style vdrive sanger with an EFI blower motor over that any day!

side note, im not anti malibu guys so please no need to bash me or my opinion.

(Message edited by sanddragon2004 on February 03, 2008)
Old     (sanddragon2004)      Join Date: Jul 2005       02-03-2008, 3:26 PM Reply   
imagine though u have a corvette on the water,and some guy in an old 70s style jet boat with rootbeer colored interior and a mullet blows by you in his 460 ford powered jet boat,

the vette gets beat by the mullet boat!
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       02-03-2008, 3:35 PM Reply   
I'd bet with the right prop it'll do just fine.
Upload
Old     (dc9669)      Join Date: May 2005       02-03-2008, 4:47 PM Reply   
505 Horsepower.

Upload
Upload
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-03-2008, 5:27 PM Reply   
Yes there's lot's of comments 4 and against the Corvette BU. I to wonder why they came out with this boat. Mabey somebody at Malibu could pop in one of these threads and respond? Is it just me but I don't know to many people that would be willing to lay out $100K for this kind of boat? Malibu is pretty smart mabey they know somthing we all dont?

When I look threw the 08 boat buyer's guide I don't see the Corvette Bu in their line up?
I did see in Master Craft's line up a boat with out a tower and wakeboard inspired graphic's Just a toned down inboard. I see the same boats in Nautiques line up Wakeborad boats with out any of the wakeboard stuff on them. Mabey a new type of buyer? I personally have never seen a new wakeboard boat with out a tower on it. So Im wondering how many wakeboard boats like this any one sells
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-03-2008, 5:36 PM Reply   
HATE ME
"It costs a lot of money to bring a limited edition boat to market... if they charged for that boat for all the costs that went into it.. that would be fine...

But when they spread the cost across their entire line up... its gotta pi$$ off the person who is buying one of the regular models but is paying a higher cost because of these stupid project boats...

Boat builders should stick to building what will sell and not just be for display purposes and try and keep the prices affordable!"

Yes I hear ya.

I had heard that Bugatti spend's more money making the Veron than they sell for. Bugatti loses money on every Veron they sell. Bugatti is owned by VW. Im guessing If what Im saying is true then all the VW's people buy help pay for Bugatti's loss on each Veron. This type of win some loose some is true for many company's not every single product they make is a money maker.
Old     (dc9669)      Join Date: May 2005       02-03-2008, 5:40 PM Reply   
Did I mention power windows on the side.They roll down just like a car.
Old     (outlaw_78)      Join Date: Nov 2006       02-04-2008, 3:06 AM Reply   
"G" i think your Bugatti comment is way off, they are seperate companies. malibu's product development budget would be fat enough already for limited edition models without effecting the rest of the line up. i don't think it was meant to be a wake boat. if it was it would have a tower, ballast etc

it holds its own as a nice boat
Old     (desertbum)      Join Date: Dec 2007       02-04-2008, 8:43 AM Reply   
What show was this?
Old     (bcail)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-04-2008, 9:01 AM Reply   
The boat and surroundings look like the show in Birmingham, AL

(Message edited by bcail on February 04, 2008)
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-04-2008, 11:08 AM Reply   
"G"... I was considering some WetSounds 3-Somes... but for half the price.. I can get a pair of Rubicon 450's. Your thoughts.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-04-2008, 1:03 PM Reply   
never heard the Rubicon's so I would say the Wetsounds. I sure like the way the skyons look. Im sure either way you will be happy.
Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-04-2008, 1:06 PM Reply   
Does anyone actually know the investment breakdown b/t GM and Malibu on the Covervette project or is this all speculation and assumptions.
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-04-2008, 1:18 PM Reply   
"G" - Thanks. Do you have any pics of your latest and greatest ideas/creations? When are you making a trip up to Canada to trick out some boats north of the 49th parallel?
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-04-2008, 8:36 PM Reply   
You guys never saw my post when I brought the original pics to WW.

I sold Malibu boats for 3.5 years. Each year, Malibu prices have typically raised 4-6%. Funny thing how the price went up 4-6% (AGAIN!!!) even when they developed this boat(Mastercraft seemed to go up 10%).

The development of this boat did not begin until the ENTIRE 2008 model line was completed and 2008 pricing was set. Malibu rarely changes pricing during the season. If they did, it typically is only a $2-300 surcharge per boat.

For those of you to keep insisting that Malibu is charging customers who buy a v-Ride, VLX or any other boat for costs incurred for the develoment of the Vette boat is ignorance.

What is above is FACT. If you don't believe me, call your local Malibu dealer. Call Malibu.

And another point... this boat has its' target demographic. If you don't like it... it wasn't meant for you.
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-04-2008, 8:41 PM Reply   
Corvette boat was developed after the Malibu brochure went to print. Concept was introduced long before though. Malibu chose to have the advertising apart from the brochure.
Old     (norcalbordr)      Join Date: Feb 2006       02-04-2008, 9:12 PM Reply   
And correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't GM come to Malibu with this idea rather than Malibu asking GM if they could make the Corvette boat? Corvette put a lot of money into each of these boats. Its not a wakeboard boat and Malibu isn't marketing it like this. Those that have the money and the interest of a boat like this are buying it. Malibu is making money, Corvette is making money, and boat owners who are buying it are happy with it. End of story.
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-04-2008, 9:16 PM Reply   
^^^^^ yes. GM approached Malibu. I can only safely assume that GM is making money off of the naming rights and licenses that accompany the motor and the brand.

Centurion is in the same situation with the Nascar boats.
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-04-2008, 9:35 PM Reply   
Ok sorry. I was wrong! I apologize. I feel so bad. Sorry for making false accusations. I take it all back!
Old     (sanddragon2004)      Join Date: Jul 2005       02-05-2008, 8:27 AM Reply   
what kind of hull is this boat? is this a totally different hull then the wakeboard boats? whats the prop on it?

top speed on this boat? Its a v drive so hows it handle? anybody driven one? malibu dealers?

other then the visual aspects of it. how does it drive? 505hp will it do 70-80mph? or will it just yank a skier out of the water with brute force?

I am not bashing it, cuz I love the vette, i want the raw details of performance.
Old     (coldlake)      Join Date: Oct 2006       02-05-2008, 9:03 AM Reply   
It's not for me, but I could go either way on this boat.

One thing for sure, if they sell out the production plan without any official advertising (it's all word of mouth and via dealers-yes?), and without publicizing any real performance specs, we will all have to concede that there was a market and it was hit.
Old     (rodltg2)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-05-2008, 9:24 AM Reply   
its got advetising in waterski mag. plenty of it.
first pages , a double spread with a red corvette towing it. Then another double page article in the middle of the mag. claims it does 60+ mph.

(Message edited by rodltg2 on February 05, 2008)
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-05-2008, 12:35 PM Reply   
They said they had it up to 60mph with the current prop set up. It wanted to keep going. Handles great like all other Malibu v-Drives. The hull on it is derived from the diamond hull. Not sure about the prop.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       02-05-2008, 1:49 PM Reply   
Man for a 100K, I could get a lot faster than 60.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-05-2008, 2:03 PM Reply   
a(coldlake) said, "......concede that there was a market and it was hit."

You mean like the last time they made this boat (in 1998 I believe)? As I recall they only made a short run & sold them all pretty quickly. I see used ones for sale occasionally.... at pretty fair prices too.
Old     (03_35th)      Join Date: Dec 2007       02-05-2008, 2:03 PM Reply   
For a 100k I could get a more than sweet comp. boat, that still has a great resale value in 10 years.
Old     (03_35th)      Join Date: Dec 2007       02-05-2008, 2:06 PM Reply   
Bill wasn't that DD ski boat with a ski purpose and a theme???
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-05-2008, 3:21 PM Reply   
Paul - you are missing the point.
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-05-2008, 3:22 PM Reply   
Direct from Malibu:

The facts are these: Malibu designed and executed this Corvette with the support of GM for a couple of different reasons. The boat is unique in many different aspects and it brings excitement to our entire Watersports segment. The boat carries more than the Corvette styling cues it is the fastest production Sport-V in the world. And as one new Corvette owner said last week, "it is the best performing boat I have ever driven". Contrary to the opinion of one poster, it has no effect on any pricing of the other Malibu boats. In fact, Malibu's price went up a nominal 4% over last year which is a percent lower than in model year 2007. They even added some incredible new features like rider presets. The Corvette Limited Edition Watersports Boat was not even completed by the time the rest of the boats were priced and marketed. That is also the reason the boat was not at the tests for WaterSki Magazine. But as you can see in the latest issue of WaterSki Magazine they have an editorial about it. We will be building less than 200 Corvette boats in the next (2) years which is quite a nice figure for any boat company. Since the LS7 engine is hand built we will have a limited supply of them made available to the marine industry. The reception at the shows has been incredible and for those that appreciate the combination of Corvette heritage, high level performance and boating it has been a refreshing addition to Corvette and Malibu enthusiasts.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-05-2008, 3:48 PM Reply   
....fastest production sport-V in the world.

Your right 03_35th. The 98s were a DD, built in a time when DDs ruled the market. 10 years later that is not the case. V-drives & crossover boats rule now days & the Vette is just that. And it sounds like it will run away from any direct drive or V-drive.

Frankly I never saw anyone ski behind a Vette 10 yrs ago & doubt many of these will ever see a skier or boarder of any kind. Its just not going for that market.
Old     (rooter)      Join Date: Oct 2006       02-05-2008, 8:40 PM Reply   
One wake over the bow and bye-bye $15k in stereo equipment. Wonder too how well those windows work while running at 30mph...would think they would shatter or stop working soon. Cool concept but not practical...saw a grey one at the Seattle boat show last weekend.