Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 15, 2005

Old     (sbt3)      Join Date: Jun 2002       02-09-2005, 11:12 AM Reply   
Has anyone used this kit from walmart? http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=1863080&cat=96490&type=19&d ept=3944&path=0%3A3944%3A178268%3A96490#long_descr

I bought a couple of them today. My plan is to run both the + and - of the battery using the 4ga wire supplied to the distribution blocks. Then run the 8ga to the amps. I can't believe that there would be too much of a difference between the 4 ga wire quality. I looked at some other kits from rockford fosgate at Bestbuy and they are like $150. I don't see that the quality would be that different. The distribution block is only for 2 but that is no big deal I only plan to run 2 amps. I have bought expensive equipment in the past from stereo shops but don't think it matters that much. I am looking for opinions on what you think about these kits if you have used them or if you read the specs and see something that I missed. The kits I bought have 4ga and 8 ga wire not the 5ga and 9ga listed on the website.
Thanks

(Message edited by sbt3 on February 09, 2005)
Old    sean123            02-09-2005, 11:26 AM Reply   
Stan....

Whats up??? Did you buy a new boat?

Sean
Old     (sbt3)      Join Date: Jun 2002       02-09-2005, 12:51 PM Reply   
Sean,
Yeah I got a 97 super sport. Nothing on it right now. I am ordering a titan tower, custom ballast I am going to install(2000lbs) plus some extra dead weight. Heater, stereo, hopefully I will start working on it soon. It is in storage currently. If you make it up to the in laws this summer you'll have to come check it out. I don't have any plans to get down toward you yet, but maybe this spring. I will drop you a line if I am coming down.
How about you. been riding at all?
Stan
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       02-09-2005, 12:51 PM Reply   
Used them in the past on my old boat. No problems at all. Would have used them again, but wal-mart didn't have a big enough fuse block.
Old    whitechocolate            02-09-2005, 1:58 PM Reply   
Man I got ripped off I ayed over $700 for all this

Old    whitechocolate            02-09-2005, 1:58 PM Reply   
Man I got ripped off I payed over $700 for all this

Old    sean123            02-09-2005, 2:20 PM Reply   
Stan... Sounds sweet... We are actually going to the in-laws for a wedding in June.. I will definatley make the trip up to ya for a few days. Got any pics of the new boat?
Old     (sbt3)      Join Date: Jun 2002       02-09-2005, 2:31 PM Reply   
Sean,
No pics yet I'll send you some when I get it out of storage. Hopefully going to start messing with it in the next couple of weeks. Give me a heads up when you are going to be up and we will plan something.
Old     (sbt3)      Join Date: Jun 2002       02-09-2005, 2:34 PM Reply   
Grant,
thats what I am talking about. In the past I have wired up some stereo's in cars and boats and bought stuff from the stereo shops and it is outrageous what they get for wire. I don't see how power wire can make that much of a difference. I can understand signal wire being better with high dollar stuff if it is shielded better or something but for raw power I didn't feel it was worth it.
Old     (supraman)      Join Date: Jan 2002       02-09-2005, 7:24 PM Reply   
Stan,

I've used that very kit multiple times in cars, SUVs and a boat and have had great luck with it every time. I know you can spend more, but I've been really happy with the results I got from it. I also looked closely at what Monster had to offer and couldn't justify the difference. The wiring in that kit is great, I like the fuse holder and the distribution block is OK.

I enthusiastically recommend that kit.

(Message edited by supraman on February 09, 2005)
Old     (joe_788)      Join Date: Aug 2003       02-09-2005, 7:30 PM Reply   
Stan, I did exactly what you were thinking with your setup.

I bought expensive, quality cables for all of the RCA stuff, and a pair of those Wal Mart kits for the power. The fuse holder is kind of crappy, but everything else is great.

Old     (sbt3)      Join Date: Jun 2002       02-10-2005, 5:45 AM Reply   
Glad to hear you have had good luck with the kit. I opened it up last night when I got home and everything looked pretty good. For $24 I don't think you can go wrong.
Old     (sup208)      Join Date: May 2004       02-22-2005, 8:14 AM Reply   
Wire is sooooo damn overpriced it is insane. I went to walmart and bought a set of 25ft heavy duty jumper cables and chopped the ends off. It worked great because the wire has thick insulation and is molded together. Less than half the price of 4ga power wire. In the past we have also used the wire leads from arc welders. They are flexible and heavily insulated.
Old     (jklein)      Join Date: May 2001       02-22-2005, 9:36 AM Reply   
The only complaint I have about the walmart kit is that the fuse holders don't have a screw down tab on them. I had to use a screw down zip tie on the power cable on both sides of it to secure it to the firewall. Other than that, the cables are nice and long, the power and ground wires are good quality, even the ring connectors are pretty good.
Old     (hsmunoz)      Join Date: Nov 2004       02-22-2005, 11:07 AM Reply   
same here. I used the kit to wire up my 1kW amp, and NVS's. so far so good. I think the kit was 25 bucks. I went to a stereo shop and they wanted over 200 bucks for the same stuff. gotta love Walmart!

Oh, I did use better RCA cables, but only because I had them lying around.