Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 16, 2005

Old     (tiger20)      Join Date: Sep 2001       04-01-2005, 11:49 PM Reply   
http://www.kiteflix.com/best_kiteboarding.html
Old     (blake_hughes)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Weatherford, Texas       04-02-2005, 1:06 AM Reply   
I must say... That's some really good riding, and I don't care too much for the cable scene. Nice video.

-Blake
Old     (tiger20)      Join Date: Sep 2001       04-02-2005, 1:40 PM Reply   
Textbook riding hard on edge.

Load=POP!

Can someone explain to me why there are only 4 cable parks in the USA (Texas, Kansas, 2 in Florida) and 80 in Europe?

(Message edited by tiger20 on April 02, 2005)
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-02-2005, 9:35 PM Reply   
Damn, that guy used to be so skinny, what happened? Maybe he's been on the Parks Bonifay diet.
Here's a trivia question to prove your meddle:
That blue and green "Ski Rixen" logo to the left of the video frame has "borrowed" a once well-publicized image of a rider and made it look (sort of, actually not really) like he is on a cable.
Who's the rider?
Old     (blake_hughes)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Weatherford, Texas       04-03-2005, 2:47 PM Reply   
Is it Geoff Howell?

-Blake
Old     (512boarder)      Join Date: Jul 2004       04-03-2005, 4:45 PM Reply   
actually there is rumors around here that someone is building another cable park here in texas in leander...
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-03-2005, 5:19 PM Reply   
I'm amazed Shannon can even ride after that brutal shoulder injury he had.
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-03-2005, 6:11 PM Reply   
damn - that's ridiculous. nice stuff.
Old     (harryhog)      Join Date: Mar 2003       04-04-2005, 2:05 AM Reply   
cables all in europe because boats and gas are so expensive over here. I've become a cable rider cause there's so few places with decent boats but we can get much more riding for our money.

Boats and gas are cheaper over there, so u just gotta wiegh it up, or set up a poll.

If you had the choice, boat or cable!!!
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       04-04-2005, 8:59 AM Reply   
Mna that guy is awesome. He was getting higher then most people on a good wake. I would love to go visit a cable park
Old     (tantrum20)      Join Date: Nov 2001       04-04-2005, 9:00 AM Reply   
There's only one cable park up here in Canada... I'm fortunate enough for it to be less than 2 hours away from where I live... I definatly prefer to ride behind the boat though... I only rode the cable once and thought it's pretty cool for hitting obstacles or wakeskating...
all those air tricks Shannon throws are pretty old school... I havent seen anyone do those for a long time... still pretty cool though... you really have ton understand how to load the line... I wonder if the falls hurt as much as on waketricks... maybe I'll have to try one myself to get answers...
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-04-2005, 2:42 PM Reply   
Actually I was watching some of his old stuff the other day and he was throwing TS 720s off the wake-no tower or huge wake. I have known him since like '95 and he is just a cool guy that never really got the respect he deserved. Glad to see him back on the site.
Old    sl4ppy            04-04-2005, 3:23 PM Reply   
DOn't forget, Shannon hasn't just been "loafing" around the last few years.. He sorta left the wakeboarding "scene" and started up his own company.

check out
www.bestkiteboarding.com

Especially the videos section. Some shots of him getting boosted 100+ feet up.

(Message edited by sl4ppy on April 04, 2005)
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-04-2005, 7:03 PM Reply   

which vid shows him getting that boosted? i just watched three (picked randomly), and neither him nor anyone else is getting anywhere near that high. can you give the direct link? or at least the title of the vid?
Old    drewsky24            04-04-2005, 7:16 PM Reply   
falling while riding cable hurts a little more than the boat regardless of the cable beaing slower.
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-05-2005, 10:07 AM Reply   
Agreed with Buffalo! That guy always had some of the best style, even before "style" was something most of the mainstream paid any attention to. Some of my fav clips are the opening sections of the old school instructional vid "30 Dirty Tricks," Shannon busts a super tweaked toeside 180 to nose grab, then turns it back shifty as he floats it back down - sick! Then later he gets pulled out, cuts and does an inside-out one wake blind 3 before the boat even gets up to speed - effortless, that clip alone made me want to learn the blind 3. Maybe part of the reason he was ignored was because he rode out of West Palm, and maybe got grouped in with those riders back when there was some attitude from certain Orlando cliches versus other groups.
Old     (brhanley)      Join Date: Jun 2001       04-05-2005, 10:21 AM Reply   
I respectfully disagree on the "respect front". I think that Shannon Best got all the respect that he deserved. He was in several videos (Spray, Fluid, High Wake Drifters (I think), and others that I can't think of off the top of my head), mags, etc. He got a lot of props for inventing the S-Bend. I remember him having several photos in the mags (e.g., huge lipslide w/ sun and lilly pads). I never felt that he was disrespected or anything. In my mind, he was respected about right for being a solid pro rider.

Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       04-05-2005, 11:11 AM Reply   
"falling while riding cable hurts a little more than the boat regardless of the cable beaing slower."

I disagree with this statement. IMO, it's just the opposite.
Old     (harryhog)      Join Date: Mar 2003       04-05-2005, 11:49 AM Reply   
difference with cable is that in order to any decent trick you have to pretty much start with a raley. You can't really build up with grabs, 180s' backrolls etc.

thats why i'd personally say its worse, cause theres' not much else to do but start with a raley. of course theres' kickers etc, but to get any respect from other experienced riders, u gotta go for the raley!