Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 07, 2006

Old     (breadbutta)      Join Date: Dec 2003       10-23-2006, 1:36 PM Reply   
I was looking at a riding thread with some pics and thought I saw a board that appeared to be wood. After a closer look I saw it wasn't, but it got me thinking. Has this been done? I know some of the newer boards have wooden stringers, but what about a wooden board with bindings?
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       10-23-2006, 1:46 PM Reply   
I'm sure it has been tried. One of the problems with the older wooden wakeskates is that it was difficult for the board to keep its rocker. I would think that the stress of big landings would not work for a board that was light enough to work well. The one you saw that looked like wood was probably an older Byerly board. He had one that was laminated with what looked like woodgrain.
Old     (san210nut)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-23-2006, 1:49 PM Reply   
The Roam is wood. The Ronix Frontier has a "wood grain" look.
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       10-23-2006, 2:57 PM Reply   
cordials, baby, cordials...all wood, baseless snowboard bindings...

and the first thruster wakeboards had a wood core, but they did have an outer shell, which I'm pretty sure was PBT.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       10-24-2006, 6:53 AM Reply   
Anybody Remeber the Old K2 wooden Wakeboard. That thing was hilarious, I think that Greg Nelson Actually rode one before starting Double Up. I think it was even called the "Woody".
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       10-24-2006, 8:10 AM Reply   
yeah, i have one of those. It's not actually wood, it just has that as its graphic. and you're right, it is called the woody. It's actually one of my all time favorite boards...for looking at, at least. Greg did the best 180 fakie nose presses on those things.
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       10-24-2006, 8:20 AM Reply   
I tried to get this in my other post. I suck.Upload
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-24-2006, 10:32 AM Reply   
What is a 180 fakie nose press?!!

1st, Is sounds impossible unless its on a slider.
2nd, If it was on a slider I think it would be a 180 switch nose press.
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       10-24-2006, 11:49 AM Reply   
it's what he'd always do on that one dock (I can't remember where it's located anymore, but he always wore those baggy NBN shorts or those jeans, and he also had a hat on). And I'm using skate terminonlogy here. So basically he does a frontside 180, drags what was his nose (but became his tail) across that dock.

in skating, if you start out regular and do a 180 and land into something, that trick is going to be fakie (fakie nose grind, fakie 5-0, fakie nose manual, etc). If you're just riding backwards, if you pop off of what used to be your back foot (but is your front foot), it's still going to be fakie. But if you pop off of what was once your front foot (but is now your back foot), it's switch. wakeboarding never really uses fakie anymore, even though in certain cases it could be applied. but whatever.