Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 20, 2005

Old     (kgoings)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-08-2005, 3:02 PM Reply   
How much more air do you get with a tower...I think I am getting good pop but I am not completely clearing the wake...but my rope is attached maybe 1ft above the waterline...if I get a tower or pylon will I notice a huge difference??
Old    robertt            08-08-2005, 4:21 PM Reply   
Well, we always go off the tower, but I can tell you this...

When I went out with Nick and Julz...that teach this stuff....they were adamant that you should go off the pylon until you are doing inverts. They said that handle location and posture are make a way bigger difference than the upward pull of the tower...and that using a tower actually stifles your progress many times.

Something about how the proper position for your arms and handle can be maintained easier with the rope lower.

Point is that everyone...me included....want to think that a tower is the end all to everything as is a boat with a 5'wake....but the pros tell us otherwise.

Im sure most others will say this is crap...its just what a couple coaches said...take it for what its worth.

Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       08-08-2005, 4:51 PM Reply   
Tower = greater time at peak of jump

Old     (wakeandsnow27)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-08-2005, 5:20 PM Reply   
you will get anywhere from 21.5 to 22 inches of more air, so a pretty considerable amount.
Old    wakeskirider            08-11-2005, 7:32 PM Reply   
Wrong. I'd say it was more like 22.1 inches in more air.
Old     (wakescene)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-11-2005, 8:23 PM Reply   
My father it testament to the fact that getting beginners up with a tower is easier, it's a basic physics thing. After that I would say that it might sound like Nick/julz are on to something.

If you have a pylon, ride off of that for a while, then move up to a tower.
Old    robertt            08-11-2005, 8:51 PM Reply   
To add, they teach getting up off the tower....my buddy that was with us had never been up at all...he used the tower.

Once you are gettin up consistantly, go back down to the pylon to get the posture and handle position right.

Once that is nailed, go back up.

Their point was that a tower helps you get more air time for bigger tricks...but it makes it much harder for beginners to get the feel to get ANY air. Huge difference. Once you are edging through the wake and going wake to wake the tower is key, but until then they stress don't use it.

I am an idiot...I cant help but to use the tower for everyone all the time:-)
Old     (jonm)      Join Date: Jan 2002       08-12-2005, 2:05 AM Reply   
The tower is good because it allows you to store your boards out of the boat. As said above, it does make it easier for beginners to get started.

The amount of extra air you get is minimal.
Old     (whitlock87)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-12-2005, 5:34 AM Reply   
I cannot tell you about getting more air, but I have only been wakeboarding for about 3 months. If it wasn’t for the tower on my boat, I don’t think I ever would have gotten up.

I am a big guy, and with the tower I get right up.
If I connect to the ski pole, I cannot get out of the water.
Now on the other hand, for my 14-year-old son it does not make a difference on getting up but he claims he gets a higher pop with the tower.
Old    sking55405            08-12-2005, 10:00 AM Reply   
You may not get as much air
but i started on a BU response with no tower on a friends board. Without the upward pull your back will hurt more. plus it gets more stuff outside the boat and towers like the illusion x tower and the ctf blade tower look awesome to.