Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (kimper)      Join Date: May 2008       10-17-2012, 6:06 PM Reply   
Ok, I know many of you are curious about this boat. First off, Chuck
(the company owner) was awesome. He was happily asking everyone to
critique the boat and offer any input on how to improve the wave.
The boat looks absolutely awesome - very sleek, great paint job,
super close attention to finish out details, the finish out reminded
me of a Mastercraft.

I am not sure what happened day one of the event with this boat, but I
know Chuck was very frustrated and most of the riders were
underwhelmed with the wave. Then day 2 came and Chuck got the team 3
wave masters on board along with Derek who just happened to bring 3
500 to 750 pound fatsacs! We properly slammed the light aluminum boat
and were able to generate an awesome wave comparable to the best boats
at the event! The only minor problem was the rear seat on the boats
transom was at the waterline and wasn't sealed up so we had some water
ingress... Well we had alot of ingress... As I was surfing the now
awesome wave all the sudden we lost speed realizing the motor had gone
into "limp" safety mode. A bilge inspection found a wet engine so we tossed the tsunami pumps in there and pumped out a few hundred gallons. Chuck was joking around calling it the new dynamic open ballast system. After the sinking was averted the engine revived and we started surfing our asses off with breaks between surfers to tsunami pump the bilge!

When we were done we had proved that like so many boats out there it boils down to proper weighting to get the most out of the boat. Chuck was super pumped and very excited to go back to his shop and seal the rear seat and plumb in even more hard tanks. He said that he had learned more about surf waves and weighting his boat than he ever had!

In a nutshell, the Pavati properly weighted pulled off a great wave. Chuck was awesome and showed a high level of dedication and determination to make his boat a great surfer.
Old     (tdelong)      Join Date: Oct 2012       10-17-2012, 6:21 PM Reply   
Do you happen to have any pictures? I'm still pretty skeptical but very interested
Old     (kimper)      Join Date: May 2008       10-17-2012, 6:26 PM Reply   
Robert (Ragboy) has a few side shots of the wave in the neighboring polar bear thread. I am sure he will be posting more. Watch here and Wake9. I didn't bring a camera on the trip... Too much to lug around..
And you are wise to be skeptical. There is still some tweaking to do with the swim platform causing turbulence and such, but I have no doubt that Chuck will work through all of that and come out with a great surf boat.

Last edited by kimper; 10-17-2012 at 6:29 PM.
Old     (tdelong)      Join Date: Oct 2012       10-17-2012, 6:28 PM Reply   
Sweet Thanks
Old     (BenHolloway)      Join Date: Aug 2012       10-17-2012, 6:41 PM Reply   
I dug it, we had the pleasure of riding after group 3. Chuck was way cool it was just like a regular day on the lake and I didn't want it to end. The wave was pretty killer and with a couple small mods which Chuck was already planning on this boat will be sick. The seat, huge storage, durable interior, and endless customizable features are just a few things I was stoked on. I cant wait to ride behind the next revision....
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       10-17-2012, 7:13 PM Reply   
I with you guys I was in group three and the wave was a blast the more weight you added the better it got. Chuck was a great guy and was cool to hang out with. On a side not the wake board wake looked awesome the boat just needs some fine tuning to be an awesome surf boat which I'm sure chuck will take care of.
Old     (tahoesurfer)      Join Date: Nov 2010       10-17-2012, 8:07 PM Reply   
The Pavati is just a cool boat. I think my group was the first group to surf the goofy side on day one and we were having trouble getting a good wave. But by the end of our session we made some improvement. I think one of the biggest problems were the mounting brackets for the swim deck creating spray that was messing up the wave. That being said this boat displaces some water! I think with some improvements this boat with make a very good wave. Chuck was very open to get all of our feedback and he really has built a nice boat. Very nice layout and fit and finish. I would have really liked to surf it again after they added some more weight to it on Sunday. Thanks for coming out and giving us a demo Chuck.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       10-18-2012, 8:42 AM Reply   
Nice review! Thanks for sharing the details with us. Sounds like Chuck has a little bit of work to do for surfing but it also sounds like he was looking for some feedback to take back to the shop and work out. Good luck, Chuck!
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-19-2012, 8:47 AM Reply   
Our group was the first on Sat. to ride the Pavati. Needless to say, it was tough to ride. Sure wish i could have rode it Sun. after adding more ballast. Dennis and I were back at the dock at 4pm. We thought everyone was coming back, and we were gonna start the free ride session. Unfortunatley no one else came back to the dock, so Sue and I missed out on free riding and sat and waited two hours for anyone else to show back up. Group 2 was told we would have first shot at which boat we wanted to free ride, since we had six riders in our group compared to five for the other groups. I really wanted to go back out, but the time everone came back, it was almost dark. Maybe next year I will get another shot at riding the Pavati. Chuck was willing to take my crew out on Mon. but we had to head home that morning! We had a 11 hour drive. Chuck was great! I hope he brings out the Pavati next year also!
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       10-19-2012, 9:03 AM Reply   
Really have to appreciate these guys being willing to demo the boat for a bunch of wave snobs.
Old     (piper907)      Join Date: Dec 2011       10-19-2012, 9:18 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawndoggy View Post
Really have to appreciate these guys being willing to demo the boat for a bunch of wave snobs.
It's called R&D bro!
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       10-19-2012, 9:30 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by piper907 View Post
It's called R&D bro!
No I know, I meant it in a good way. These guys are clearly looking for feedback from the most discriminating buyers. Should end up with a good product down the road.
Old     (piper907)      Join Date: Dec 2011       10-19-2012, 11:18 AM Reply   
I was really impressed with Chucks attitude going into this event... And I think we were ALL impressed with the amount of progress we made with the wave behind this boat in two days time. It is obvious when you look at the hull shape of the Pavati, that it was not originally designed with surfing in mind... but the boat is HUGE and with enough weight we were able to clearly see some true potential with this boat and pinpoint a few small modifications that should make a world of difference.
More importantly, Chuck has the resources and the motivation to make this boat a surf monster... Hopefully we will be doing some more testing with him this winter!!!

Honestly, at this point in the sport of wakesurfing and after realising the amount of valuable feedback that came out of this event (for ALL boats involved) it is surprising to me that Robert doesn't have every wake boat manufacturer knocking his door down for a spot in these events. Everyone had an absolute BLAST, but the amount of valuable information that came from one weekend of testing was amazing to me.

Last edited by piper907; 10-19-2012 at 11:20 AM.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-19-2012, 11:23 AM Reply   
That is the thing, it is very EASY to get the feedback to build a great surf wake. The manufacturer just has to want it. Chuck wanted it, couple with the fact that I love an underdog and love to see many manufacturers pushing each other.

We actually had interest by 3 other manufacturers, but timing didn't work out. I am guessing we will have 6 boats next year, which I think we have decided is the max we can do.