Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (clubjoe)      Join Date: Sep 2005       04-30-2010, 4:23 PM Reply   
I think I wrote it down right....... Looking to find out what a great buy price would be for an 06 or better Yamaha 250 four-stroke motorcycle.

I don't have much knowledge about 2 wheelers cuz i'm a quad guy, but I'm sniffin' out some info for one o' my stepsons.... He's been riding for several years and used to have one, so I'm informally shopping right now...Haven't seen many on Craiglist. Not sure what is comparable, but I know he's a Yamaha guy.....

Any info and/or suggestions would be appreciated.... Thanks!
Old     (wakeboardingdad)      Join Date: Aug 2008       04-30-2010, 4:50 PM Reply   
There are several threads on here about bikes and they all say the same thing on what to look for when buying a used dirtbike. Not sure if I'm answering your question or not, but the newer the better and the fewer the hours... that's really what you're after. After awhile, it'll be time for valves and maybe a head. Most folks sell them because they see it coming. Try to find one with the sharpest pegs, least wear on the cases, as stock as possible or ridden by the oldest guy. If it's hard to start that's a sure sign it at least needs a valve adjustment.... which more difficult than the adjustable rockers on most quads. Of course, if it has lots of hours this could be sign of the valve issues I was talking about earlier. Good luck with your search.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       04-30-2010, 4:58 PM Reply   
Joe, I know how much you love the sand, and the 250F won't cut it in the sand. Get the 450, trust me.

I know, you have quads for the sand, but once you ride a dirtbike in the sand, you'll probably never touch your quads again. :-)
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-01-2010, 12:04 AM Reply   
a used 250f = with the pin out
Old     (clubjoe)      Join Date: Sep 2005       05-01-2010, 7:31 AM Reply   
WBD- Bought lotsa toys, so I know about the general "what signs to look for" stuff. Just motorcycle stupid when it comes to the behavior and feel. I need lost of help there. Thanks for the heads up. (I'm not so sure i like your "old guy" comment though ........................unless of course you think f-f-f-f-forty eight isn't old

Sup Jarrod! I figured you or Evan would chime in..... The kid is mostly a dez/mtn rider, and I asked him about that (6'1, 190-ish).... He said he felt the 250 would be an all around better bike for both, but all I could think was he's nuts.

He's never been on the sand with 2 wheels and it's easier to use less power than you need vs get more in sand than you have IMO.... I guess compensating isn't always a bad thing!!

I'll modify my search to a 4 fiddy- just waitin' for one o' you "can't handl a quad" guys to confirm what I was thinkin'

BTW, I'm not fixed on Yamaha if there's something else that I could look at.....
Old     (wakeboardingdad)      Join Date: Aug 2008       05-01-2010, 8:23 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by clubjoe View Post
WBD- Bought lotsa toys, so I know about the general "what signs to look for" stuff. Just motorcycle stupid when it comes to the behavior and feel. I need lost of help there. Thanks for the heads up. (I'm not so sure i like your "old guy" comment though ........................unless of course you think f-f-f-f-forty eight isn't old .....
Wow! Joe, you're the first one on this forum to abbreviate my overly long name! WBD here now and DBD on my dirtbike forums. I'm not old either... at 46! It's just a fact that "mature" riders think: "I just don't need to hit the rev limiter to be going fast enough!"

Bryan, I agree with ya, but that's why you gotta be choosy (sp?). A bunch of older guys I ride with like the 250F's, but I don't. I like torque and I hate to rev a 4 stroke the way the 250's like to be revved. While a new 250 may have all the power I need and the 450 too much, nothing says I gotta run the balls out of it. IMHO, the manufacturers are almost getting too much power out of them with all of the light weight and high wear parts in the top end. There are guys that I ride with that have tons of hours on them, but as I said, they are "more reserved riders" to put it in PC form.

Last edited by wakeboardingdad; 05-01-2010 at 8:31 PM.
Old     (boomboom)      Join Date: Apr 2008       05-01-2010, 9:31 AM Reply   
From my personal experience, Suzukis don't hold up as well as any of the other brands. I'd never buy one new, let alone used! Aside from that, pretty much any brand will be a good bike if it has been maintained. If he doesn't have a preference to one brand then find the nicest bike with the best price and grab it. I wouldn't buy one that has a worked motor as VP runs about 12$/gallon last time I bought it and that was for a barrel--gets real expensive real fast. Go stock. I always liked to find a bike where the owner was a princess who cared more about bling and shine than going fast while riding. There's ALOT of guys out there like that, just need to look a bit. Then, they waste all their $ hopping up the bike instead of you.
Old     (tracktor)      Join Date: Sep 2005       05-03-2010, 11:21 AM Reply   
A used 250f can be as reliable as anything else. Especially if it's a Yamaha. The Yamaha is hands-down one of the most reliable thumper engines built so don't fall for the bs it's all baout the previous owner. The downside is the Yammi's aren't exactly the fastest 250f out there stock.

I just sold my 06 YZ250f for $2700. I bought it used in 08 for $2800. Other than having my suspension done did nothing other than the regular maintenance. I would say 07&08 anywhere in the $3000 range is reasonable. I just picked up an '09 KX250f for $3000.

Unless you are a bigger guy I see no reason to buy a 450. IMO, I can ride the 250f faster(MX) as I don't have to modulate the throttle. It's either on or off! I liked my 450's but will never go back especially after riding my KX..............
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       05-03-2010, 1:37 PM Reply   
My 450 comment was only because Joe frequents pismo beach. The deep sand and paddle tire sucks up power
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-03-2010, 3:53 PM Reply   
6'1" and 190-ish is big on a 250.

I can see a 250 ripping on the track. They're easier to handle and lighter, but for woods riding or hill climbing a 250 just didn't get it done for me. My KTM, which I'm sure was slower than a true MX 250, was a slug. It got the job done, but took a lot of the excitement and fun out of it.

I'm 6' 160-ish and don't think I'd ride a 250f for anything other than track.

Incidently... the last time we rode in the desert 1 of the guys had a 250f. The others were on 450's and 250 two strokes. Guess which bike wouldn't start by the end of the trip and needed a valve job? The desert is hard on bikes. I've never had my bike making as funny of smells as when you're doing long climbs in the sand.
Old     (vin)      Join Date: May 2007       05-05-2010, 10:44 AM Reply   
i have a 05 honda crf 450x that im thinking bout selling for the right price ,what are you looking to spend