Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Snowboarding

Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       11-26-2009, 8:16 PM Reply   
your thoughts on magnatrac ?

Which companies are offering ?

thanks,

mike
Old     (bogartsomeday)      Join Date: Mar 2009       11-27-2009, 11:52 AM Reply   
GNU and Lib Tech are the only ones. Mervin MFG is the only company who has it because they patented it. GNU and Lib Tech are both made by Mervin MFG, all the boards are practically the same, same banana tech, same magne-traction. I haven't ridden one yet, my buddy has one and says the mtx is great. I did buy one but took it back and changed it out for a never summer cause i couldnt get over how heavy the lib tech was. Its all personal preference.
Old     (all_board_rider)      Join Date: May 2009       11-28-2009, 11:36 AM Reply   
ACTUALY codi northam (bogartsomeday) Smokin' snowboards among others ALSO offer magne traction snowboard....you betta chicaty check yo self before you riggady reck yourself...
Old     (sdub)      Join Date: Jan 2003       11-28-2009, 4:13 PM Reply   
Some of the Rossignol boards do, the Rossi One Mag for sure does.
Old     (juiced4ever)      Join Date: Oct 2005       11-29-2009, 5:08 PM Reply   
Mervin Mfg (Lib/Gnu) was doing contracted board construction to some smaller compaines like Smokin'. Also Mervin is owned by quiksilver who for a short time also owned Rossi. And thus you end up with the Rossi One Mag.
Old     (bogartsomeday)      Join Date: Mar 2009       11-29-2009, 8:44 PM Reply   
Smokin' snowboards are gay.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       11-30-2009, 5:51 AM Reply   
Which Rossi board have magnatraction.
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       11-30-2009, 8:47 PM Reply   
the rossi mag one has magnatraction.
Old     (hco)      Join Date: Jun 2006       11-30-2009, 9:44 PM Reply   
It certainly was an interesting experience riding a board with it. When I got lazy and was cruising looking over my back shoulder looking at my buddies hit a couple things I almost caught the worst edge of the season, wasn't used to having so many edges to catch.
Old     (zoah)      Join Date: Nov 2006       12-02-2009, 10:14 AM Reply   
magnatraction is hands down the greatest advancement I've seen in boards in the last couple years. I thought it was all marketing BS before I rode and bought my Dark Series. It's no BS. I often find myself in windblown icy steep conditions and I've never been able to hold an edge better than with the magnatraction. It's not even fair how much more edge and grip you get compared to a conventional edge.

Once I track down my new 164 dark series I'm upgrading.
Old     (justintime)      Join Date: Mar 2009       12-17-2009, 11:48 AM Reply   
try it

this is the new stuff that burton will try to copy!!
Old     (lfrider139)      Join Date: May 2007       12-19-2009, 9:07 AM Reply   
it is indeed the bomb, if you are cruising groomers and hit a hard spot the magna traction will deff help you hold that edge without sliding out. you gotta be careful with it though, especially when jibbing...i got my toe edge hung up boardsliding a flat down rail and recked myself hard and separated a shoulder. other than that, i recommend it.
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       12-30-2009, 9:50 PM Reply   
I did a board demo day last week. Rode two boards with Magna traction (plus some others). A Lib Tech and Rossi. Found the Lib Tech a bit stiff (I think it was the Rice pro model) but did like the edge control once used to it. I did get TOSSED on a fast cat track early one, learned to respect the heel side edge after that.

Both boards rocked in mixed conditions. When you hit some hard stuff underneath the magna traction stays locked it. Also works really well on iced out runs. I like the Lib Tech better in the powder, the nose would float easier and the tail just tracked along. I'm thinking if I bought a new board right now it would have banana and magna traction. I'm still riding my 12+ yr old GNU Haulin Oat's, but do like the new boards better.
Old     (chikara22)      Join Date: Oct 2006       12-31-2009, 10:05 AM Reply   
I rode Magnetraction (Lib Tech Travis Rice) for the first time last week in NM and absolutely love this board compared to the Burton's I have ridden or the Prior board I demoed in Whistler. Would highly recommend it.
Old    sperbet            12-31-2009, 2:13 PM Reply   
Smokin' snowboards are gay? Care to elaborate?

They're actually great boards, very well made. Magnetrac and reverse camber. Not too mention locally made by riders not a huge coporate conglomerate...
Old     (brhanley)      Join Date: Jun 2001       01-10-2010, 4:05 PM Reply   
I've ridden Smokin' for five years now. Handmade locally by riders. Reminds me of Double Up back in the day. Great boards. Just got another Smokin' with magna traction & reverse camber/rocker and the edge hold is for real. Haven't ridden too much pow, but I think it has more float. The nose/tail feels a bit loose/soft on jumps, like I've heard people describe a flex wakeboard's landings.

Codi's jersey looks like it's from the Off Axis shop. Perhaps you should take this up with Shon G, Scott. LOL