Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 23, 2004

Old    sublimed            08-18-2004, 12:47 AM Reply   
Just got myself a pair of transit. Been playing around with the cam bolts that came with it.

How tight should i screw it down to make sure its secure. It seems that if i turn it too many rounds, i can't push the cam to lock down. Whereas if i loosen it alittle so that i could push the cam into the 'locked down' position, i would then still be able to turn it, which makes me feel its not secure.

there are 3 plastic washers attached to the cam. Are they meant to be kept on or removed?

Any suggestions?
Old    redraidertt            08-18-2004, 7:29 AM Reply   
The washers are used as spacers. Depending on the board you have and how deep the threads are will determine how many washers are needed.

I think you have already answered your own question on how tight you make the cam.
Old    sublimed            08-18-2004, 8:18 AM Reply   
i'm riding an 04 LF substance.
so i guess i'll be needing all the spacers since LF boards have shallow screw threads.
Old    scorched_ice7            08-18-2004, 11:33 PM Reply   
I ride the 04 Substance with Transits and I didnt use any spacers, I tightened all the cams full then turned them 1/4 turn back and put them down, this seems to have more than enough hold.
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-19-2004, 9:22 AM Reply   
get ride of the cams and buy some bolts at the hardware store........ you'll thank me later for it!
Old     (blaize)      Join Date: May 2000       08-19-2004, 9:50 AM Reply   
No, keep the cams, but after you lock them down just finish tightening them by hand. Make it a habit to tighten them before each run, because if they get too loose the bindings will rotate on a hard landing, which can be quite annoying.

(Message edited by blaize on August 19, 2004)
Old    scorched_ice7            08-21-2004, 3:44 PM Reply   
Do not buy new bolts at a hardware store, they may end up being too long or short and this can be dangerous. There wont be much difference either, LF screws and HL screws for example are just alittle different and when used on different boards can cause them to push through the bottom or be hit the bottom and not hold down the binding tight enough allowing the binding to rotate. If they are too short there might not be enough holding them down and they will rip out and a bad landing. Just do what Mike said and check them when you go out to make sure the cams are tight. They were made for the FAST system so use them.
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-21-2004, 6:17 PM Reply   
I respect the other two opinions and they have valid points however,.... Buying new hardware allows you to choose whatever tool type you want to attach your bindings. Get the RIGHT size and you wont have a problem with too short or too long. Also if you look at the pro's they don't have the cam bolts... they get straight forward bolts to use. The FAST system is a great first step but isn't up to par yet, having to tighten the bolts after every ride is kinda rediculous and if you ride in salt water the cams will break, also if you change your bindings from slider board to new board all the time it'll last 1 or 2 days only.
Old     (djpurnell)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-02-2004, 12:29 PM Reply   
i ride in salt water and my cams havn't broken, ive been riding the transits for 6 months now.
when i bought them i soaked them in ACF50 (anti corosion formula) this seems to have done the job as they are as good as new!!!!!
going back to the origional question i lock the cam down then further tighen them.