Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 29, 2009

Old     (spherren)      Join Date: Aug 2005       05-16-2009, 5:50 PM Reply   
I just had some gel coat work done out of warrant and got it back from my dealer today. My question is, will the gel coat peel off with your finder nail? The reason I ask is, the dealer stated they had problems getting it to match and had to blend it. I got to inspecting the work done and it appears that they spray painted it to get it to match. On the edge of the blend you can see a texture, it will flake off with you fingernail and you can rubb is off with some brake cleaner and it comes off and streaks just like paint. If you do it on the gel coat it will not streak or rub off on the cloth. It also looks in places like paint does if it is put on to thick and has fisheyes.
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       05-16-2009, 6:40 PM Reply   
That sucks! Recently ran across a poor repair. Looks like they used toothpaste? Lol......
Old     (deltadave)      Join Date: Mar 2005       05-16-2009, 7:28 PM Reply   
Gelcoat is sprayed. You may see a blend line. It should not have a texture, flake off or rub off with solvent. Sounds like they didn't prep it right, spray it right and it didn't dry correctly.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-16-2009, 11:30 PM Reply   
Spraying gelcoat looks a lot like spraying paint. The fact that your using brake cleaner on the gelcoat would concern me. I don't think I'd want brake cleaner on any of my gelcoat at all.
Old     (bulletlines)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-17-2009, 7:13 AM Reply   
Gel coat can be sprayed or a paste. Most small repairs are done with paste, and larger areas are sprayed. Gel coat on top of gel coat will flak off unless preped right. Sounds to me like they did not do a good job finishing. Wetsand with 600 grit and then 1000 grit sand paper, 3M Finesse the sanded area, and then wax.. Should be good to go..

Ken Land
Bullet Lines
www.bulletlines.com
Old     (spherren)      Join Date: Aug 2005       05-17-2009, 7:29 AM Reply   
I only used the brake clean as a solvent to see test if it would wipe off. It may be that the edges did not dry all the way. The edges by the seats are still tacky and soft. Will they set up, anything to do to get them to set up faster?
Old     (bulletlines)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-17-2009, 8:24 AM Reply   
Put clear packing tap over it and put it in the sun..
Old     (spherren)      Join Date: Aug 2005       05-17-2009, 8:36 AM Reply   
what exactly does the tape do?
Old     (bulletlines)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-17-2009, 10:17 AM Reply   
To cure properly, the gel coat cannot be exposed to air.
Old     (spherren)      Join Date: Aug 2005       05-17-2009, 11:25 PM Reply   
what happens if the gel coat is thin, over top of the old gel. Will it hold up, will this cause it not to get hard? I installed tape, will see how it looks tomorrow.