Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 29, 2009

Old     (akdoc)      Join Date: Feb 2004       05-04-2009, 7:30 AM Reply   
Hi guys, started the boat up 2 weekends ago after its long winter nap and it fired up just fine. Pulled it out of the dock and idled around for a while. Pulled back into the dock and looked in the engine compartment to make sure there were no leaks....I noticed more water in the hull and it was warmer than the lake water so I knew there was a leak somewhere. I couldn't see the leak. So I put the lift up and drained the water, checked all the plugs which were secure. Put the boat back down and just let is sit without starting it and no water was leaking in. I turned the ballast pumps all on to check for leaks there, no leaks that I could see. Started the boat and let it idle, water starts to fill back up the hull but I still couldn't see a leak.

At this point we have to leave to I drain the water again and put it back on the lift. I called our mechanic and he says to drive it over this past weekend. I start down the lake with the back seat removed so I can hopefully spot the leak. After about 5 minutes I see water squirting out on the port side of the engine. I keep driving watching the water fill the hull in the engine compartment, boy was that nerve-racking! Get it to the marina and Keith comes down and looks at it. The water is leaking between the engine block and the transmission on the port side. The boat is a 2006 24Ve with the MP 5.7L engine. My mechanic did the winterization and he also checked the oil when I pulled in and said that he didn't think the block cracked because the oil looked fine. He was pretty puzzled and was going to take the boat out and start working on it.

Anybody have this happen? What is the warranty on an 06 MP engine?

I'm afraid this is gonna be a costly repair bill.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       05-04-2009, 8:10 AM Reply   
That sounds like a cracked water jacket in the block to me. :-(
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       05-04-2009, 8:11 AM Reply   
The oil gets milky if it cracked between a water jacket & oil volume, but it can also just crack to the outside.
Old     (mhunter)      Join Date: Mar 2008       05-04-2009, 3:12 PM Reply   
There are freeze plugs in the back of the engine.
Sounds like the mechanic didnt get all the water out? If you are lucky the freeze plug has pushed out if not the block is most likely cracked. The trans will have to be removed to see what the problem is.
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-04-2009, 4:50 PM Reply   
Long winter nap=you got a heater= didnt get winterized=cracked heater core filled the boat with water=gets in bell housing an flings water all over.
If you got a heater start there.
If not there is a freeze plug on the back of cyl head look there 2.
Old     (akdoc)      Join Date: Feb 2004       05-05-2009, 4:48 AM Reply   
Kevin is exactly right, my mechanic called and said it was the heater and that the flywheel was flinging water all over as the level increased.