Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (meathead65)      Join Date: Sep 2006       12-18-2011, 9:05 AM Reply   
My 08 F250 runs a 6 inch procomp lift with procomp remote reservoir shocks. I bought the truck like this, and have no expertise on lifts. Just turned 60K, and have started to notice a definate reduction in ride quality, and am starting to notice some annoying front end dive when I have to stab the brakes at freeway speed. I'm guessing the shocks are done, but can they be serviced/rebuilt/recharged? Or do I just need to replace them? This truck never sees dirt, so if I replace them are remote reservoir units overkill?
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       12-18-2011, 9:11 AM Reply   
man, there are way too many variables without putting it in the air and checking everything out. is it 4x4 or pre runner. Do you knon what procomp kit it is.
Old     (meathead65)      Join Date: Sep 2006       12-18-2011, 9:18 AM Reply   
4x4 powerstroke. Bought the truck with 5K on it, only agreed to buy a lifted truck because I was impressed with how well it rode and drove. Only in the last 5 to 6K have I noticed it starting to ride rough, wallow around on bumps, and nose dive under hard braking. Did a steering box, drag link, and tie rod ends at 40K, been running the same tires (Kuhmo 37's) since day one. Im pretty sure the shocks are a major part of the issue, just not sure of the smartest route to fix them.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       12-18-2011, 9:33 AM Reply   
most aftermarket shocks can be rebuilt. I'm not much of a 4x4 guy, but in the case with sports cars, a lot of aftermarket shocks and struts carry lifetime warranties. It might worth finding out what the warranty is on them, and taking the car to a shop that is an authorized dealer, if they are covered.
Old     (tmill)      Join Date: May 2011       12-18-2011, 9:39 AM Reply   
post a pick of the shocks please... Are they standard gas shocks or do you have a baller lift kit with coil overs? Is there any oil seeping from the shocks? does the truck bounce a lot?
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       12-18-2011, 9:40 AM Reply   
i am guessing you have the stage one kit. does it have the es9000 shock or the fox shock. its most likly not the shock. If they where leaking maybe, but i would check the heim joints in the radious arms first. see if there is any play. next take the rear shocks and put them up front. (if i am correct, they are the same shocks front and back if) they may have a differnt length, minor, but still will show if its the shock. Last would be the springs. i have never had a pair of springs droop, but that kit should have come with a diffferent spring rate than the gas model kit. hope this helps. If the radious heims are worn out, you may get a dive when under braking and a feeling of slop or noise, looseness and vibration, ruff ride hope this helps
Old     (meathead65)      Join Date: Sep 2006       12-18-2011, 9:45 AM Reply   
I'm not sure how to post pics with the iPhone, so I'll get some pics up from the pc this afternoon
Old     (meathead65)      Join Date: Sep 2006       12-21-2011, 4:03 PM Reply   
Here are a couple pics.....rear shock appears to be leaking, as is one of the fronts. Are these junk, rebuildable, or just replace with something else?
Old     (meathead65)      Join Date: Sep 2006       12-21-2011, 4:56 PM Reply   
try again.....
Attached Images

Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       12-21-2011, 5:24 PM Reply   
it may cost as much to rebuild as to replace depending on the damage to the shaft. the seal head is gone and most likely the shaft is worn. you will need to send them back to pro comp and have them tear them down. call them and give them the pics, see what they say. Sorry man, that sucks. there may be some locals that can tear them down, but i am not familiar with that shock, you may not be able to seperate the shock body from the piston and shaft. i would def call them and see what gives.
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       12-21-2011, 5:27 PM Reply   
does any of the other shocks have a stop. it looks like the press fitting fell out in the lower pic. if you look up into the shock body, there should be a c clip snap wring. that clip allows you to pull the shaft and seal head. Then replace it and blead the resevoir and fill it with nitrogen. Its not hard, just a pain