Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (niap101)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-06-2005, 4:44 AM Reply   
We have had a discussion going on wakesurf competition rules on a post that had little to do with the subject:
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/87668/250693.html?1126006751
I am starting a new post. Please join in and let us here your thoughts on how a competition should be judged.
Old    surfdad            09-06-2005, 7:50 AM Reply   
Larry, thanks for organizing this post. I really feel your "bonus points" for going off in front of the spectators is innovative. Can you elaborate for us your vision of the contest that is split into thirds?
Old    surfdad            09-06-2005, 2:26 PM Reply   
RL Cross responded in the original thread with the following:

(Sarcastic) yeah, lets create another Trick Ski Event.

I like how it is now....for now. Separate Surf and Skim ultimatly is the goal but as I said before not yet. But I like the subjective scoring...just like surfing and wakeboarding. I also like the idea of having the judges in MAJOR comps to be one of each trade (Skim, Surf, Wake, and so on). Have specific catagorys that each judge should be looking for and then give a score at the end. SIMPLE! No need for points, if they actually did the trick properly, and trick sheets, declaired trick lists, and so on. See where I am going with this?

If wake Surfing was going to be like trick skiing count me out. I love trick skiing but would never compete in it again because of all the BS involved with it. I can see the protests at events now because they did not get credit for a 360 shuvit. Oh wait now we will get video scoring like that have at water ski tournaments. Great...just another thing.

I am sorry guys but you have to keep it simple if you want more people involved. Look at wakeboarding....kept it simple for years and still is.
Old    surfdad            09-06-2005, 3:27 PM Reply   
Ok, as I recap, that's two for more and two for less formal. Tell me guys, if this compromise makes sense. Now, also realize I'm ONLY interested in the small grassroots competitions. I am not looking forward or even THINKING beyond "Joe's wakeboard club and video rentals" :-)

Those folks are encouraged to HOLD a wakesurfing contest and the format is loose. I've been to a ton of them and the reality is, this is how the contests are held. Awards are given for the most time spent in the water :-)

Then, as the competition moves up the ladder, say regional, statewide or national level, that the competitions become more formal.

I have to tell you folks, the local competitions that we attended were GREAT fun. Wonderfully friendly folks that welcomed strangers from another state. They opened their homes to us and complimented us on our family sharing this sport.

This is the essence of the grassroots events. It's good freinds, family and the occasional outsider meeting for a day of fun and friendly competition. The winner gets a $10 trophy or a computer printed certificate saying: I won.

Personally, I believe it's JUST as important, at these events, to foster fun and ejoyment for all participants as it is to establish guidelines for a smooth and effectively run competition.

I know it sounds hookey and seriously mid- western values, but these competitions are just good family fun.
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       09-06-2005, 5:44 PM Reply   
Jeff,
I am not sure if you have me in the more or less formal. I guess I am both formal for national and informal for grassroots events. I think that the points would give competitors in grassroots events an idea of what tricks were even possible in wakesurfing. I agree that the smaller events MUST be about fun not serious competition so that the sport grows everywhere. I think that encourgement for completing tricks should be given maybe to the point of awards for recognition of completion. Similar to the contest on Wakeworld where points were awarded for staying up for a length of time to board transfer 180s. I think that this might help people with the progression of learning one thing that forms the basis for a more advanced trick.
Old    surfdad            09-06-2005, 8:19 PM Reply   
Hey Dennis, you are always on the side of good and justice in my book. No wait, doesn't that require a cape? You aren't Super Kahuna, just Big Kahuna. :-)

Do you know which contests had the best turn out, the greatest longevity and the most excited participants? The ones that followed the Cub Scouts model. Everyone won. Everyone was recognized and everyone had a good time. I think that we are missing the point here. It should about bringing more people into the sport at the grassroots level. Making it as EASY as possible to throw a wakesurfing contest and growing the sport by having participants enjoy it. Like you say, recognition for completed tricks or something. I think that the bigger contests are a different breed altogether.

Thanks for the input Dennis...I'll see what I can do about a cape for you. :-)
Old     (lovinpowell)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-08-2005, 1:33 PM Reply   
I agree with Dennis and Jeff, build the sport, make it fun and desirable for all to participate, make it so that everyone has a chance to see the possibilities. I didn't realize all of the possibilities until I got on this website.

LP