Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (Kerry)      Join Date: Jun 2010       06-07-2012, 7:33 AM Reply   
I wish they'd have a competition each year for the pros to compete using a straight ski boat or something. I know these guys are awesome, but i think it would be neat to see what they can accomplish with such a small wake too. Maybe they have this and I'm unaware? I ride an x-9, nothing tournament huge but not too shabby either. After i landed my first invert behind it I was shocked at how i could land that same invert on other smaller boats with no problem! Maybe I'm the only one?
Old     (stang_killa_ss)      Join Date: Jan 2010       06-07-2012, 7:37 AM Reply   
i remember alliance or somebody did a old school comp a couple years ago. small wake, direction old boards etc. i know Murray, and Malanoski competed.
Old     (Kerry)      Join Date: Jun 2010       06-07-2012, 7:41 AM Reply   
O really? Yes that sounds awesome! I know these guys (especially murray, parks..etc) would kill it since they all started with straight ski inboards. Could you imagine somebody pulling off a 1080 behind an old prostar 190 or something!
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       06-07-2012, 8:33 AM Reply   
Lookup Scott Byerly from like 1994 behind what I think is a Barefoot Sanger outboard... Directional, stretch rope, sandal binders, 6" wake...
Old     (tahoeguy7)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-07-2012, 8:41 AM Reply   
That Byerly video is amazing. Perhaps some of the best riding I have ever seen considering what he was able to do with that setup. There used to be a link to it around here somewhere.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-07-2012, 8:57 AM Reply   
Quote:
i remember alliance or somebody did a old school comp a couple years ago. small wake, direction old boards etc. i know Murray, and Malanoski competed.
I think it was alliance too... they did it for a few years - it was a old prostar, stretchy rope with a tiny handle, directional boards and some guys had surf wrap boots... it was funny to watch
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       06-07-2012, 9:39 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahoeguy7 View Post
That Byerly video is amazing. Perhaps some of the best riding I have ever seen considering what he was able to do with that setup. There used to be a link to it around here somewhere.
Air front flip, ts 5, switch mobius, ts krypt to edge catch, blows out of his binders and flies 3 ft off the water. Anyone who has a vdrive wakeboat who complains about their wake sucking with stock ballast... Needs a tune up haha. Check out his ts 7 off the dub in skurfs up behind a... 2001 Nauti with high pole, BOOM
Old     (Kerry)      Join Date: Jun 2010       06-07-2012, 9:43 AM Reply   
Thats what I'm talking about!! There was a guy on the first lake we were on who could do a backroll behind a fishing boat and my dad would always say "see you don't need a bigger wake!"
Old     (williamburell)      Join Date: Sep 2011       06-07-2012, 10:22 AM Reply   
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DupkCGXnhQU&feature=gv
Old     (wakedaveup)      Join Date: May 2012       06-07-2012, 10:31 AM Reply   
Dangit I cant find the link but Im pretty sure a few years ago parks, andrew A, zane, and a bunch of others did a throw back tournament where the only rode old school boards and shredded a direct drive.
Old     (brhanley)      Join Date: Jun 2001       06-07-2012, 10:32 AM Reply   
They showed the old school comp on Fuel. Guys were struggling, especially the guys that wore the bungee bindings. Some guys wore a bit better bindings and they did a bit better. Shaun Murray killed it, of course.
Old     (wakedaveup)      Join Date: May 2012       06-07-2012, 10:33 AM Reply   
Delta Force- that video is epic. It was the first wake vid I ever purchased and such a bad a$$ sound track. The good ol days of levelle, heavener, neptune, and full tilt.
Old     (Wiatowski)      Join Date: Aug 2011       06-07-2012, 11:35 AM Reply   
that's skills...
Old     (snoopy1173)      Join Date: May 2010       06-07-2012, 12:29 PM Reply   
theres a video out there somewhere of nick davies doing a heel 7 off the double up of a jet ski
Old     (boomshot)      Join Date: Jan 2008       06-07-2012, 12:30 PM Reply   
Staker did really well in that comp didn't he?
Best episode of Pull as far as I'm concerned.
Old     (wakedaveup)      Join Date: May 2012       06-07-2012, 12:34 PM Reply   
Staker could shred! What happened to that guy?
Old     (mattgettel)      Join Date: Jan 2009       06-07-2012, 12:53 PM Reply   
just watched that video...looks like i need one of those boats!
Old     (tahoeguy7)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-07-2012, 12:56 PM Reply   
Thanks for the link to the video. I just watched it again. Pure awesomeness! However, it makes me want to get back out behind the boat and work on my form. I can't do half of that behind a modern wake boat
Old     (Kerry)      Join Date: Jun 2010       06-07-2012, 1:16 PM Reply   
Yea I'm at work so its tough to watch 24 minutes but watched a bit. We are totally spoiled nowadays. That just shows you how much air you DON'T need! Thanks William for finding that!
Old     (holdsworth)      Join Date: Jan 2010       06-07-2012, 3:40 PM Reply   
That would be a sick comp. I actually rode behind a 99(?) Air Nautique on Monday with three people in the boat and stock tanks and had one of my most fun, best sets behind it. Was able to hit everything behind it that I can my X-Star. I'd be willing to enter that comp.

Last edited by holdsworth; 06-07-2012 at 3:40 PM. Reason: .
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-07-2012, 3:45 PM Reply   
Nice for a novelty I guess but I would much rather see big wake riding. To the "see you don't need a big wake crowd", they are pros, they are very good, they can do stuff we can't. I NEED a big wake to have big fun.
Old     (89nauti2001)      Join Date: May 2012       06-07-2012, 6:05 PM Reply   
Awesome video!!! I agree it helps to have big wakes and perfect pass..... regardless of how much coin you spend on your boat & board bad habits won't go away with better equipment.
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       06-07-2012, 6:22 PM Reply   
It would be an entertaining competition in the same way Feet on Fire is entertaining. I cant barefoot, and I really have no interest in barefooting, but its fun to watch because they dont take it too seriously. My usual boat is a 17 foot I/O, so I would be interested to see what the pros could throw on my wake, but I dont expect it to be the same effortless tricks they normally throw. I would expect the wake to limit them, and therefore be impressed by how little they are limited.
Old     (Kerry)      Join Date: Jun 2010       06-08-2012, 6:01 AM Reply   
O i absolutely agree a big wake is awesome. Not dodging that. We all love seeing riders go big. It's just really cool to see how technical scott's riding is in that video. It shows how efficient the pros had to be. Plus there are a lot of riders out there that are stuck with smaller wakes and its good for them to see some of the old school riding (like the byerly video) to show it can be done! Heck we can all learn something from seeing that! Makes me appreciate my x-9.
Old     (brichter14)      Join Date: Jul 2010       06-08-2012, 10:20 AM Reply   
this is me behind my 18ft I/O with a 4 cyl.. You dont need a huge wake to have fun!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ix8eS_2TZCk
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       06-08-2012, 10:30 AM Reply   
Thought there was a video out there of Nick Davies landing a 7 off a double up......... a jetski double up!
Old     (b33nine)      Join Date: Jun 2010       06-08-2012, 10:52 AM Reply   
Age and commitment probably play a big part in it but I was able to land way more tricks behind a prostar 190 back when I was 17-19 than when I first started riding bigger wakes when I was 24+.

I'd really like to revisit riding a 190 with 2 fat sacs one of these days, just to see how it compares anymore.
Old     (wakeviolater)      Join Date: Sep 2004       06-08-2012, 12:25 PM Reply   
there used to be a part of the pro tour where the riders where pulled by a wave runner, and i remember someone like clean dean lavelle doing a vulcan off the wake (what wake there was)...
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       06-08-2012, 12:53 PM Reply   
I think that video was done by a WW member here. Classic stuff. Was rich goforth on the boat as well?
Old     (juniorhawk)      Join Date: Jul 2004 Location: New England       06-08-2012, 1:52 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttrigo View Post
I think that video was done by a WW member here. Classic stuff. Was rich goforth on the boat as well?
Yep. Me. I shot that video when I was a freshman in college. Byerly astonished all of us in the boat and I am glad people like it. Thanks!

No, Rich Goforth wasn't in the video, or on the boat, just me and some other folks from a clinic Mr. Byerly did with us that day. That wasn't even my lake - it was up here in MA where I ride, and was on a barefoot boat. Yeah. Insane. Later on I got to have lunch with him and he was freaking awesome to talk to, start to finish. If that riding is impressive now, imagine what we thought in 1994. When he went for that switch mobe, and was that close on it - our collective heads exploded.
Old     (aubuchon03)      Join Date: May 2007       06-08-2012, 3:59 PM Reply   
This is an everyday lifestyle on a certain lake in Midwest. Only allows AWSA approved 20'-or less boats (means mainly comps) - and NO Ballast. The guys out there know true edge control and loading techniques. I've seen 7's, crow-mobes, Krypts, slim-chances and even doubles (off a double up of course) thrown out there. Shouldnt surprise many since a certain pro-rider who is known to throw the biggest punches on the pro-tour started from out there and was mentioned earlier killing in in a similar comp situation.
One funny thing that I have witnessed in tournaments is when "other" riders complain about not enough weight in the boat after they do a wake-to-case trick, say tantrum. He/or she then are followed up by one of these guys who go huge, usually over-rotate everything, and even break a board on their first trick. I say is it the arrow or the Indian?
Old    mojo            06-08-2012, 4:18 PM Reply   
regardless of a short rope, ben R was killing it. i'm going to have to give mad props for that toe 3.
Old     (Raf1985)      Join Date: Mar 2012       06-08-2012, 11:17 PM Reply   
My ego is officially crushed after watching 1994 byerly.
Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-09-2012, 7:04 AM Reply   
that is probably my all time favorite video to watch. It literally never gets old seeing byerly do all these tricks off of no weight. Idk if its just me but the ts540s were truly impressive as those mostly involve getting enough air to spin and not just line tension!
Old     (brichter14)      Join Date: Jul 2010       06-09-2012, 4:16 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
regardless of a short rope, ben R was killing it. i'm going to have to give mad props for that toe 3.
Lol I keep tellin everybody that a toe 3 is MUCH harder than the toe 5...the landing is so awkward. Ya but small wakes can also be a pain in the ass. I just blew the head gasket on my boat for the THIRD time... lon has been bringing too many fat chicks on my 4 cyl...
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       06-09-2012, 9:49 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by holdsworth View Post
That would be a sick comp. I actually rode behind a 99(?) Air Nautique on Monday with three people in the boat and stock tanks and had one of my most fun, best sets behind it. Was able to hit everything behind it that I can my X-Star. I'd be willing to enter that comp.
That is a good wake in my opinion! I can do all my tricks on my stock tige wake. Sure they're easier with a bigger wake, and more fun but I've seen my boys pop harder on small wakes and then take it easy on the big wakes. It's important at all times to loaded that fn line and pop HARD. And when you do it on a big wake, sick **** happens.
Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-09-2012, 10:30 PM Reply   
toe 3 is definitely easier than toe 5...
Old     (holdsworth)      Join Date: Jan 2010       06-10-2012, 1:09 PM Reply   
@Delta Force, I completely agree. I relax on bigger wakes except on certain tricks but it's a must on a small wake. It's kinda fun watching people who are used to a huge wake struggle behind a small boat because they've never ridden behind one. I offer help, of course, but at first it's fun when they realize that's where our sport grew from
Old     (juniorhawk)      Join Date: Jul 2004 Location: New England       06-11-2012, 6:58 AM Reply   
Old     (juniorhawk)      Join Date: Jul 2004 Location: New England       06-11-2012, 9:24 AM Reply   
That switch mobe still gets me every time.
Old     (mckenna)      Join Date: Mar 2008       06-12-2012, 4:55 PM Reply   
dan watkins tantrum to blind in defy off a tiny wake almost makes me want to quit.
Old     (zirb3l)      Join Date: Jan 2008       06-13-2012, 6:00 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamburell View Post
Thank you for posting this.

Every time I watch this I am reminded that I dont need to save up and spend my entire life away to get a huge boat. I just need to perfect my skills behind the boat I have.
Old     (FunkyBunch)      Join Date: Jun 2011       06-13-2012, 7:15 AM Reply   
I think the episode with the old school competition is PULL episode Bull Shoals. The comp should be at the end of the Bull Shoals segment. My favorite episode of PULL.
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       06-18-2012, 10:25 AM Reply   
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuA6dWTO5NE

Phil Soven doing a pretty epic trick off a Jetski.... haha
Old     (Kerry)      Join Date: Jun 2010       06-19-2012, 11:45 AM Reply   
All this talk and these videos made me take a couple sessions last weekend without any ballast Kind of nice to concentrate more on form and that I don't always need the big wake! Easier on fuel economy too!