Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 21, 2003

Old    jmccallum            05-20-2003, 7:08 AM Reply   
Help! Took a look at my throttle linkage this weekend. Looks like my Morse cable "pushes" the throttle open rather than the typical "pull" applications that the PP instructions talk about.

Anybody come across this before?

-Volvo Penta 190 hp Inboard Outdrive
-2 barrel Holly carburetor
-Vortec 4.3 litre V6)

Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-20-2003, 8:12 AM Reply   
James,
When I ordered my PP for my Bayliner a bit over a year ago Randy told me that they did not make a PP for the Volvo. Things may have changed since then, I would call/E-mail Randy.

Phone (902) 468-2150
randy@perfectpass.com

Take care,

B-
Old    jmccallum            05-20-2003, 8:41 AM Reply   
Randy didn't mention anything. He sent me an addendum sheet for a Volvo v8 installation.

I've already e-mailed him; I was looking for background info on WW waiting for the reply.

P.S. Last year when you talked to Randy, did he say why he didn't have a PP for volvo. It's really a GM v6 Vortec with 2 barrel Holley on it!
Old    chris_hargis            05-20-2003, 11:07 AM Reply   
James, Did you get your PP already? I am close, but not there yet.
Old    jmccallum            05-20-2003, 11:35 AM Reply   
Yup... small problem.

OMC/Volvo penta have the only "push" trottles ... I'm still waiting to hear from PP...

If PP can't provide a solution, I may have to unload it!
Old    chris_hargis            05-20-2003, 11:44 AM Reply   
That would truly suck. I already know that I am going to have to make an adapter for mine when I get it, but at least I know it can be done. You are a pretty smart guy, is there anything you can make to make it work? Seems to me that PP is a push system from the pictures I have seen for the throttle hook up. Can you attach the PP cable to your throttle cable someway to make it work the same as your cable does?

Man I would post some pictures of your throttle set up here and let some of these geniuses help you figure it out. There are enough smart people here who have made things work for them, that I am sure someone could give you some ideas to try before you unload it.

(Message edited by chris_hargis on May 20, 2003)
Old    jmccallum            05-20-2003, 12:07 PM Reply   
PP works by increasing and decreasing the length of the throttle cable a little bit to adjust the boat speed.

Before PP, the turquoise and green dots where connected. After PP, you have added a piece of variable length cable.

PP works by letting out (paying out for the brits) or hauling in a little bit of cable in a system where the throttle cable is in tension. My system pushes the throttle to open it up. Unfortunately you can push on a string....

The only hope that I can see is to convert my throttle system to a "pull" which means taking apart my helm control and thinking a bit (a least 3~4 beers)
Old    chris_hargis            05-20-2003, 12:17 PM Reply   
Well, get to drinking man!!
Old    jmccallum            05-20-2003, 12:19 PM Reply   
Anybody recogize the make.model of this control?

Old    chris_hargis            05-20-2003, 12:42 PM Reply   
Great news, I just got an e-mail from my wife that reads as follows: "Ok, how can I possibly pass on back rubs??? ORDER IT!"

I am getting my Perfect Pass system ordered today or tomorrow. I hope I don't have the problems you are having James.