Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 22, 2008

Old    petey20            08-20-2008, 2:26 PM Reply   
Saw this beached SANTE up at Bullards Bar this past weekend. Anybody out there know the story? We just saw a bunch of dudes digging it out on Sun morning. Red and White 210 with "Integrity" decals on the side. The water levels are really low and you can see the exposed peninsulas sticking out. Really dangerous, especially if you are driving at night.
Upload
Upload
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-20-2008, 2:30 PM Reply   
Bummer. I know exactly where that is. That bar almost got me at night time once also.
Old     (knarbar)      Join Date: Nov 2006       08-20-2008, 2:47 PM Reply   
WOW! Talk about a bad day. Looks the prop and shaft are buried. Besides getting it off the bank Id be more worried about the repair costs
Old     (nvboarder)      Join Date: Nov 2005       08-20-2008, 7:25 PM Reply   
Maybe thats why they have that 5 MPH restriction after sunset. To get that far up on shore they had to be moving!!
Old     (riverratboarder)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-20-2008, 8:04 PM Reply   
I know where that is too........ that sucks
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-21-2008, 7:47 AM Reply   
"To get that far up on shore they had to be moving!!"

Maybe....

The lake is probably dropping a foot a day.
Old     (baschralper)      Join Date: Dec 2001       08-21-2008, 8:00 AM Reply   
from what I heard from the repair guy, nothing but a rudder and prop repair was all that was needed....

very lucky, indeed.
Old     (xmarksthespot)      Join Date: Oct 2006       08-21-2008, 8:06 AM Reply   
Thats my buddies boat from Integrity....Long story but basically My buddy left our shore camp site around the corner and ended up passing out so a friend drove his boat back at night to drive in campsites...and wouldnt ya know the shore comes out of no where! Believe it or not the boat wasnt in that bad of shape after my Craft pulled it out after about 4 hours digging a trench behind it for the prop and rudder.....Moral of the story "Dont let your friends drive your boat & Dont drive fast at low lake!!!!"
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       08-21-2008, 8:11 AM Reply   
I am surprised people drive much past no wake speed at night.
Old     (wakex2wake)      Join Date: Apr 2008       08-21-2008, 8:12 AM Reply   
that would suck for that to be one of the first things you saw after waking up w/ a hang over
Old     (xmarksthespot)      Join Date: Oct 2006       08-21-2008, 8:51 AM Reply   
Well you wake up real quick when something like that happends and you sober up real quick after something like that happends too!
Old     (blastmaster)      Join Date: Aug 2001       08-21-2008, 9:07 AM Reply   
Moral of the story should be:
Be responsible for your own sh--. Don't get drunk and rely on someone else to handle your business.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-21-2008, 10:57 AM Reply   
"Don't get drunk and rely on someone else to handle your business."

At least he didn't try to handle it himself.
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       08-21-2008, 11:12 AM Reply   
There was a thing that happened at my Aunt and Uncles resort up in the boundary waters of Minnesota. A guy was actually following a GPS in the pitch black, and apparently didn't realize that basic GPS systems are accurate to within 250 feet at sometimes, and he ran up on a rock almost that same way @ 25 mph. Nasty wreck...
Old    Ben Kerran            08-21-2008, 12:19 PM Reply   
2nd J-Rod's sentiment, glad he was smart enough to have someone else take it back.
Old     (dadthedriver)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-21-2008, 4:24 PM Reply   
Not sure being passed out qualifies as being smart enough to handle his business. If you drove it there stay sober enough to drive it home.
Old     (jpod)      Join Date: Feb 2006       08-21-2008, 4:37 PM Reply   
what people dont know is the only reason he was out that late is because he had been towing us around the lake cuz our boat ran out of gas. he towed us from 1 end of bullards to the marina then back to the campsite after the marina wouldnt give us gas. he's a legit dude who had a bad night. lets just be happy know one got hurt and his boat will be fine after a few minor repairs.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-21-2008, 4:40 PM Reply   
Its funny... all the "internet quarterbacking" that goes on; many times without all the information.
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       08-21-2008, 5:12 PM Reply   

quote:

Not sure being passed out qualifies as being smart enough to handle his business. If you drove it there stay sober enough to drive it home.

I don't think ANYONE one here has ANY right to pass judgement on what someone does in their own personal life. I wasn't there personally, but I know that the dude that was driving at the time of the incident owns his own boat so it's not as if the boat owner was doing anything out of the "ordinary." I know I've been a TON of houseboat and camping trips where the boat owner will ask someone they trust if they'd be down to drive their boat so they can have a few beers.

F'in LAME.
Old     (baschralper)      Join Date: Dec 2001       08-21-2008, 5:13 PM Reply   
M-Dizzle hit the nail square on the head.

Both the boat owner and the friend that was driving the boat for him are both long time boaters. Like Jason said above, nobody was hurt except the boat slightly. Everyone makes mistakes.....you never know Ben, you might be the one with the new vapor blue malibu (my bad, Epic) on the shore in the next set of pics posted up on here....
Lake levels are low right now, it could happen to anyone.

my .02
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-21-2008, 5:25 PM Reply   
you guys beat me to it...

everyone pointin fingers must perfect thats the only logical conclustion...gtf outta here....
Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-21-2008, 6:23 PM Reply   
Props to the guy that let someone else drive when he couldn't. But even the other poster said, they left, he passed out, then let someone esle drive.

Not saying he deserves it, but he certainly has no one to blame. They were hauling ass to beach that deep. Either the guy driving was drunk as well, or should not have been driving at night.
Old     (dadthedriver)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-21-2008, 6:45 PM Reply   
^^^^^^^^ That was my point. Seabass you might see my boat beached as well. I know accidents happen. But, it will never be because I drove it someplace and was unable to drive it home.
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       08-21-2008, 7:25 PM Reply   
never say never...shat happens, situations happen.

(Message edited by ironj32 on August 21, 2008)
Old     (jward10)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-21-2008, 9:06 PM Reply   
never the less, as long as he pays the bills and not mommy and daddy then I'm sure he learned his lesson.
Old     (wakekat15)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-22-2008, 4:14 AM Reply   
Agreed Jay....never say never. I dislocated my shoulder and could not drive my own boat back to the dock. Alcohol was not involved....well, until after the little shoulder thing!
Old    mendo247            08-22-2008, 7:52 AM Reply   
Ive been known to party pretty hard after hours but I always makes sure I can handle my bizz on the way home. The main problem appears to be speed. If someone would have just poped the boat in gear and took their time back this would have never happened. The Booze cruise home is the best part anyways! Ive had this happen to several friends who thought they were safe cruising 20-25 on the way home. Im just glad everyone was ok! That could have been ugly! Chalk it up as a lesson learned.
Old     (peterslc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-22-2008, 4:36 PM Reply   
Hey petey, how was the Bullards weekend? Congrats on the you know what!!
Old     (jefefitz)      Join Date: May 2002       08-22-2008, 7:17 PM Reply   
everybody listen up real well, apparently driving your boat is "your business." please refrain from letting anyone else (including people you trust) "handle it." If you get the inclination to actually do something crazy like wake board or wakeskate please find someone elses' boat to ride behind because letting someone else drive your boat to pull you would be neglecting your "business."

everybody on here has let somebody else drive their boat, things happen nobody got hurt yadayadayada lesson learned
Old     (wakeboardertj)      Join Date: May 2005       08-22-2008, 8:14 PM Reply   
heres a pic of dark day launch ramp

Upload
Old     (wakeboardertj)      Join Date: May 2005       08-22-2008, 8:16 PM Reply   
that was 2 weeks ago, i was there on tuesday and it had dropped another 5-8 feet at least in only a few days.
Old     (nasty530)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-22-2008, 10:25 PM Reply   
PROPS FOR NOT DRIVING DRUNK!! Who cares who drives the boat? So long as it is someone that know hows to drive a boat. Obviously if you only had newbs in your boat, it would not be right to get drunk and rely on an inexperienced driver. I thank the guy for giving up the keys and doing the right thing...
Old     (ride5)      Join Date: May 2002       08-23-2008, 12:02 AM Reply   
First of all the guy that was driving taught me how to drive a boat. He is a really good friend of mine and I trust him with my life. After riding and driven all day in the sun(+beers) you get burnt out. When we left the beach it was still light out and I asked my Bro if he would drive. On are way out we see my other friend dead in the water out of gas. So of course we are going to give them a tow. Long story short, gas dock was closed and two and a half hours later we get our friends back to there camp. It's pitch black dark and I'm asleep. He had not driven the lake all day exept to pull me and was not aware of that sand bar peninsula. He is a stand up guy and feels terrible about it. There is minimal damage to my boat, most of the damage happend when we pulled it off the beach. No one got hurt. Yes we were drinking but I dont blame alchohol for this. The water level had dropped at least a foot over night so the pictures make it look worse than it was.
Old     (wakekat15)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-23-2008, 5:02 AM Reply   
That situation could have been much worse! Glad the damage was minimal and everyone made it home safe, Bobby! Don't worry about the saints that never made a mistake and haters hiding behind computers on forums these days!
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-25-2008, 10:31 PM Reply   
Short of knowing whether or not you had some navigation device (gps)and a spot light Id say the only boo boo was not having a spotter and spot light. (Even if you were too tired to actually drive)
As for the few saying you shouldnt drive over 5 mph at night please DONT come to florida and spread your rules here. We drive everywhere "AT SPEED" at night. We use GPS, spotter and always a spot light. It would take us all night to get back home at 5 mph... hell NO
If the captain was not that familiar then maybe driving 5 would have been prudent at the cost of time.
Glad to hear the boat abd people werent thrashed too bad.