Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (homedawg678)      Join Date: Jan 2007       10-06-2008, 1:49 PM Reply   
If I wanted to use a jetski as a chaseboat and film, should I put the camera in a waterproof housing? or is it safe enough without it ?

Thanks
Old     (isler)      Join Date: Apr 2003       10-06-2008, 2:48 PM Reply   
It's safe enough if you've got a good jetski driver and you know exactly what you're doing. But, one wrong move from the rider (cutting away and sending a wall of water), or from the driver (slowing down wrong and taking a wave over the nose) and you'll soak your cam. I had an experience in Carlsbad Lagoon where I was shooting from a jetski, and we got in an unsafe position.. shooting a double-up, and we ended up being right where the rider was landing. The driver and I saw the rider coming right down on top of us, and rolled off the ski down into the water. The rider came down on the nose of the ski. Luckily nobody was hurt, but I went swimming with a Canon 1vHS, Canon 24-70 and 70-200 lenses (about $5k or so in gear). I have insurance, so I didn't care too much about the gear... just glad the rider was OK. Moral of the story... have somebody who really knows what they're doing drive the ski for you. I pushed my driver outside of his comfort zone, and I made a bad call.
Old     (Walt)      Join Date: Jan 2003       10-06-2008, 2:49 PM Reply   
I've shot from a SeaDoo before without a housing and it worked out ok but it's a roll of the dice.
Old     (Walt)      Join Date: Jan 2003       10-06-2008, 2:54 PM Reply   
Shooting Double up's can be dangerous. Ask BG and Scott E.

I also witnessed Buffalow filming D-up's and loosing a couple thousand $$$ worth of gear a few years back.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-06-2008, 3:20 PM Reply   
The only way is long range man or housing! Take it from guys that do this a bunch (like Mike isler) and we have all lost gear do to double ups.
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       10-06-2008, 6:09 PM Reply   
If you're gonna chance it make sure you have insurance.

When shooting or filming in the water, it isn't IF you fall in it's WHEN you fall in. I have taken the dive twice with about $3,000 worth of body and lens. Now I have a housing.
Old     (homedawg678)      Join Date: Jan 2007       10-07-2008, 5:56 PM Reply   
Jeez these stories are making me nervous...
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       10-08-2008, 11:12 AM Reply   
I almost dumped spence while i was driving chase boat for him, double up came right over the front of the pontoon boat where he was sitting. I would feel really bad dumping someone else's gear!

(Message edited by steezyshots on October 08, 2008)
Old    kc700            10-08-2008, 12:34 PM Reply   
Add one more to the lost some gear off the ski club. I second riley, its not if its when for sure! be safe.....housing housing housing.
Old     (hypoxic_films)      Join Date: Dec 2003       10-08-2008, 12:54 PM Reply   
Its easy, it just depends on how bad you want the shot. Most of my chase filming has come from skis. It doesnt matter who your driver is, it matters how much youre paying attention. You just always have to be on point and always be telling your driver where to go, always think one step ahead, its easy. And always hit rollers head on.

housing??
Old     (bigpapaf1f)      Join Date: May 2005       10-08-2008, 8:41 PM Reply   
Yeah I almost killed my buddy. It was bad news the boat was in a bad spot and I should have looked up sooner. It sucked but could have been a lot worse. Check out the Nor Cal CWB Faction video if you want to hear the story and seen the footage.