Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 20, 2005

Old     (board22)      Join Date: May 2005       08-01-2005, 12:18 PM Reply   
Who else cant stand jetskiers and tubers on smooth water
Old     (wakechic06)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-01-2005, 12:31 PM Reply   
I can't. But its not necesarily the smooth water it's that we have almost gotten hit so many times! There is this whole river and they choose to go 10 feet from the guy in the water behind us. We were out one morning pretty early about 7 or 8 and there was 1 other boat on the river and it was on the opposite side we were and the my friend fell wakeboarding and the guy in the other boat comes all the way across the river and almost runs over him and the rope. There are a lot of idiot drivers.

(Message edited by wakechic06 on August 01, 2005)
Old    munson            08-01-2005, 12:32 PM Reply   
Are you kidding? I love towing friends and family through rollers that come from every direction. I love that uneasy feeling I get when there is a jet ski jumping my wakes right next to the rider. And of course I love it when I have to power turn to pick up and protect a fallen rider because some jackass (jet ski, tuber, or any other jackass for that matter) that I dont know is putting my loved ones in danger. I dont know about anyone else but I LOVE those guys.
Old    orgborn            08-01-2005, 12:52 PM Reply   
I agree its so fun too watch a jet skier jumping the wake like 3 feet behind me when im riding(they look so damn cool and get so much air). I also love watching other people kids when there tubing zig zagging across everyones paths. I get so excited too watch a little girl fall off the tube right infront of me. There parents are soo cool to allow them to do that.
Old     (mmobius2001)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-01-2005, 12:52 PM Reply   
yeah, isnt jet sking and tubing more fun in rough water? why do they insist on going to the only smooth part? what makes me even more angry is the way they drive the tuber, circles and then guns it on the turn to go pick them up.

and also why is it that people that drive tubers have about 4 people or so in the boat but the driver is always looking STRAIGHT BACK at the tuber instead of looking where they are going?
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-01-2005, 12:53 PM Reply   
i can't stand jetskiers and tubers...but they're still entitled to the water as much as i am. sucks, i know, but that's the fact.
Old    munson            08-01-2005, 1:01 PM Reply   
Joe, your right, that is fact, but that does not give them an excuse to put other people in danger (including themselves). In my personnal opinion, that is what they're best at.
Old     (wakeboard19)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-01-2005, 1:11 PM Reply   
Yesterday I was out on the lake and we were sharing smooth water with another boat. All of a sudden there was the guy in a bayliner with 4 little kids in the front just come flying between us not pulling anything just spinning circles really fast. The guy on the other boat flipped out and yelled " Hey mother fu***r get the f**k out of here. The guy kept doing it so he took off after him and finally chase him out of the smooth water. Some people just have no right on the water. There should be some kind of guidlines for idiots.
Old     (marshk344)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-01-2005, 8:24 PM Reply   
i hate when they go to the few smooth places on our lake on a windy day and ruin the smooth water...they could go anywhere else...you dont have to have smooth water to do that right?
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-01-2005, 8:34 PM Reply   
Victoria slough Saturday.

There was a big dude with his girl on the back of his Seadoo. They were zig-zagging in front of us all the way down the channel at 22 mph. RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE CHANNEL! I was pulling the rider at 23.5. He never even looked back to see that I was considering running him over. The stupid thing is, before he got in front, he tailed our rider for a while.

This is hate.
Old    foamy            08-01-2005, 10:22 PM Reply   
i hate them AH!...damn
Old     (wakebrdrnc)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-02-2005, 4:35 AM Reply   
I hate tubes and jetskis. Don't they like rough water? Why do they always come back in the coves and go round in round in circles. I they want waves they can stick to the main body. Idiots! Gosh!
Old     (gatorhator)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-02-2005, 5:21 AM Reply   
Not a wakeboarding story but still related.

I have a 34ft sport fish and was headed out the inlet one afternoon and like always there were 2 or 3 jetskiers jumping the wakes of the boats going in and out the port. Well this jacka$$ must have miscalculated cause he hit the transom stuck the front of his ski about 8 inches into my boat and he bounced once off the downrigger before rolling into the water.
Guess what he was flat broke with no insurance so it was my $1000 deductable that fixed the hole in my boat.

Only bright side of it was there was enough dammage to the ski that by the time we fished the idiot out of the water his ski was at the bottom of the channel.
Old     (wakeme884)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-02-2005, 5:31 AM Reply   
LAKE LICE!!!!!!! hate em ...but like Joe said-they have their rights too. The last time I checked, according to Calif boating laws, it was illegal to jump the wake of another boat w/ pwc's.
Old    tommcat            08-02-2005, 7:41 AM Reply   
i occasianally jetski and i love jumping the wake of a big boat, the difference is that we only do it on a weeknight when there arent many boats on the river and i ONLY do it behind my buddies boat who is making a big wake for us on purpose.
no matter what you do there will always be people who are out to prove just how stupid they are.
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-02-2005, 7:44 AM Reply   
tom try using your wakeboard to jump your buddies "huge wake" ey?
Old    rdizzle            08-02-2005, 8:11 AM Reply   
usually if I get a case of lake crabs behind the boat, I just stop in the water. I havent had a case where they follow the skier, guess I havent run into one of those idiots yet. I agree they do have rights also, but I dont run up behind them and jump their wake in my boat 20 ft away from them. maybe I should try that next time and see how they like it.
Old     (ramhouse)      Join Date: Apr 2004       08-02-2005, 8:32 AM Reply   
BAD PEOPLE! NO COMMON SENCE! NO RESPECT! A LOT WITH NO BRAINS! AND HOW MUCH FUN CAN SITTING ON A BARRELL GOING 50MPH BE, OVER AND OVER? BUT I DO HAVE RESPECT FOR THE OLDER JETSKIS WHERE YOU DO STAND UP, THIS DOES TAKE ATHLETIC ABILITY!
Old     (marshk344)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-02-2005, 9:12 AM Reply   
i hate those giant speed boats or what ever too. me and my friend were out wakeskating behind our jet ski the other day and this huge speed boat comes about 20 feet away from us and blasts us with his spray
Old     (skibum69)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-02-2005, 9:34 AM Reply   
I have found the best way to clear out jets skies, tubers and other boats is to wakesurf in the area we are trying to board. The huge rollers make everyone else leave. We are left with a calm bay again.
Old    fl_girl            08-02-2005, 10:25 AM Reply   
I just can't stand to be on the lake w/ jet skis. The drivers have no common decency for anybody on the lake except themselves. I would love to have a grenade launcher.
Old    robertt            08-02-2005, 10:28 AM Reply   
No PWC on our lake:-) Not allowed:-)
Old    tommcat            08-02-2005, 10:53 AM Reply   
mike, the wake behind his boat is just too ugly for wakeboarding. all whitewater, i feel like i'm riding the rapids. cant wait to get my own boat next year.
Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-02-2005, 11:10 AM Reply   
When a jet skier drives behind me, I stop (safely). They always ride by all pissed off, which is the desired effect.
Old     (bigpapaf1f)      Join Date: May 2005       08-02-2005, 11:59 AM Reply   
My friends dad was sking and a rentel jetski hit him, Broke his hip, That day he had surgery, He can't get out of bed for two months. If he gets up his hip will shader. The kid said that he was a safe dis. from the boat. The sheriff ask him how far is safe. The kid said "six feet". You should have to take a class to ride a jetskis.
Old     (sturdyboardz)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-02-2005, 3:58 PM Reply   
I've been tossing around the idea of a fully automatic paintball gun conveniently located right next to the throttle.
Old     (wakeme884)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-02-2005, 4:27 PM Reply   
Kipp, when you work out the details of that, let me know. I like that idea!!!!!
Old     (sturdyboardz)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-02-2005, 4:48 PM Reply   
hey, i'm no expert on paintball guns but I would think the range is somewhere around 100 to 150'. By me the law is 150'. If i can hit him, he's illegal. That's fair game. It's like a new sport for the spotter.
Old    rdizzle            08-02-2005, 4:54 PM Reply   
i think I might try that this weekend. I have a full auto pb gun, just have to see about the water laws first.
Old     (ss1234)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-02-2005, 4:55 PM Reply   
...i would suggest a waterballon launcher attached to the tower (it works well).
Old     (wakeme884)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-02-2005, 5:00 PM Reply   
with baloons the size of a watermellon!!!!!
Old    sking55405            08-02-2005, 5:44 PM Reply   
I sometime tube with my neighbors or ride my jet ski bu i never do it on smoothe water. If theres smooth water im boarding.
Old    sking55405            08-02-2005, 5:45 PM Reply   
I sometime tube with my neighbors or ride my jet ski but i never do it on smoothe water. If theres smooth water im boarding.
Old     (thirdgear)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-02-2005, 6:12 PM Reply   
I feel everyone's pain. Lake Travis is tuber central here in Tejas. You've got to come out during a workday or when it's raining/looks like rain to get great water.
Old     (mjfan23)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-02-2005, 7:01 PM Reply   
Ya ever think that some of us cant afford 30,000$ boats!!!????

I have a jet ski and use it all the time, i try to stay clear but frankly i have just as much right on the water as you do. Just my .02 cents.......
Old     (breadbutta)      Join Date: Dec 2003       08-02-2005, 8:32 PM Reply   
I respect anyone we are approaching while boating or tubing or riding their skis. We recently lent our air pump to a family sharing our cove and laughed hysterically as they attempted to dump two kids and mom off their tube. It's their lake as much as it's ours and it's better to get along. Most of the lakes we're on are plenty big, with enough room for all.

Who else can't stand people with ownership issues?

We can all coexist as long as we're paying attention and doing the right thing.

I think I've turned into my Dad....and what a great guy he is!
Old     (wildcatx2)      Join Date: Mar 2005       08-02-2005, 10:40 PM Reply   
I grew-up on the lake. So over the last 24 years I have seen how our lake has completely changed. I know all the rules and I am very respectful to others on the water. In the last ten years, pwc have made it affordable for people who have never been around the lake, to get out on the water. Problem is that when they cut us off or drive up behind a wakeboarder they just don't know any better. So, when my state decides to finally require a boat safety course to opperate a watercraft I won't complain one bit.
Old     (thirdgear)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-02-2005, 10:52 PM Reply   
In response to Bruce and Eric: I don't think we're arguing against tubers and jetskis altogether here -- I believe the people in question here are those who don't understand the rules and who put other people in danger. Sure we can all bitch about water conditions etc, (I myself did in my post), but a lot of times being impolite while tubing/jetskiing easily slips into being dangerous. I think most people, while complaining about water or safety individually, are really complaining about both issues at the same time. You have just as much right on the water as we do, but only insofar as you aren't putting people at risk.

I myself can enjoy the odd tube or pwc ride and understand why others do as well, however, there is something negative to be said for those who lack tact and boater saftey knowledge and participate in any of these activities on any lake. I have absolutely no problems with anything anyone else does as long as it doesn't impact the safety of those around them. Hopefully you guys didn't feel like we were all attacking you for having a good time!
Old     (sturdyboardz)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-03-2005, 4:46 AM Reply   
Money, boats, ownership issues? Get a hold of yourselves here and realize the point at hand that 90 percent of the complaints here are from idiots that can't respect the rules of the water. The problem that lies primarily with jet ski's is that the owner of the jet ski is not alwyas the one operating it. Yes Eric, you have just as much right to be on the water as I do, but when you bring your friends out for a day of jet skiing, do you clearly explain the rules to them and stress how important they are? Maybe you do, but most do not. I would support a boater's safety in a heartbeat, especially for jet ski's. Just my 02 cents.....
Old     (iamnathanhudson)      Join Date: Dec 2002       08-03-2005, 8:30 AM Reply   
YEAH THEY SUCK AND SWALLOW!!!!
Old     (mmobius2001)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-03-2005, 11:29 AM Reply   
im pretty good friends w/ the cops that patrol our lake, and i ask them about pulling people over, and they pull over as many waverunner/jetski's as they possibly can in a day to make sure they are educated because there are so many young people or old idiots that dont know what there doing.
Old     (mjfan23)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-03-2005, 11:50 AM Reply   
There are many times when people on jetskies dont kno wut the hell there doing, however there are just as many boat owners who dont kno wut the hell there doing either, you cant just put all the blame on the owner of jetskies.

I wish i had a boat, but im 17 and cant afford one, so i have a jetski and i hate hearing how everyone with a jetski gets a bad rap for the actions of a few people.
Old     (sturdyboardz)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-03-2005, 12:16 PM Reply   
Just as many? I will scratch your lake off my list of places to ride. Thanks.
Old     (murphie07)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-03-2005, 2:01 PM Reply   
A suggestion. Every boat-owner-boarder take a jet ski owner/rider out for the day. Teach the jet skier to board and have them experience first hand the fun of wakeboarding and the life threatening fear when a jet skier gets to close. This might bring the two sides closer with mutual respect. The simple realization of what an 800 to 1000 lbs (not sure what they weight) jet ski looks like at water level coming at you at 30 to 60 MPH.
Old    robertt            08-03-2005, 2:08 PM Reply   
Just get one of the large water guns..the kind that suck water out of the tip. They can go about 60'. Have everyone piss in a bucket, and dump whats left of your beers in them. When a PWC starts jumping the wake, just fill it up with piss and shoot it up in the air behind the boat. They will get a piss shower, and they will know it. Be fast to reload, because once they smell it on them they will be quick to try to run up beside you to cuss you out. Blast them again, right in the mouth.

chances are it wont go good, but the satisfaction.....ahhhhh
Old     (mjfan23)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-03-2005, 4:34 PM Reply   
Quit blaming jetskiers damn, i dont need to be out on a boat to learn to wakeboard, i wakeboard behind my jetski, and have been in situations where a damn boat gets to close.

You all blame every damn thing on jetskiers, just cause you got a boat dont mean u can do whatever the hell you want...

I realize there are idiots on the lake, but damn there are idiots everywhere in life quit b******
Old     (just_board)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-03-2005, 5:18 PM Reply   
i realize many jetskiers can be dumb, especially when the owners allow their idiot friends to ride them without explaining the rules, i agree with most of what has been said so far, but i would like to add that i have had problems before with idiot wakeboard boat drivers who have full ballast and just cruise around the cove where everyone parks to swim creating huge rollers that are a pain in the ass to deal with especially when tied up with other boats, also many times they just start up and take off instead of idling far enough away, as an owner of two jetskis, three tubes, and a boat, i can say that my family and i try our hardest to not break any laws and ALWAYS explain the rules before letting anyone take out a jetski, i'm sure many of you will try and say "well i'm not an idiot that creates big waves for other boats" well great, i'm happy for you, but i would like to say "i'm not an idiot jet skier who puts you or your boats well being in danger" there's always two sides to a story

just what i think..

(Message edited by just_board on August 03, 2005)
Old     (mjfan23)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-03-2005, 6:35 PM Reply   
Wahoo finally someone on my side..... haha
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       08-03-2005, 6:45 PM Reply   
Just took a half day off of work to get some butta, but the few other boats out there with the tubes think it's like you have a boat and I have a boat, lets bond in the same space. I would go to another part and sure as sh*t, they'd follow. Cut across the bow and come back for some more. No respect for the other person or the one's they're towing. I think no matter what you're on the lake doing, common sense should be excersized at least a little.
Old     (marshk344)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-03-2005, 7:26 PM Reply   
i prettty much only use my jet ski for wakeskating when my dad isnt home to take me wakeboarding in the boat...im 14 so he wont let me take the boat out without him
Old     (thirdgear)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-03-2005, 9:12 PM Reply   
I think the people on the jetski side still aren't understanding the argument here. We're talking down on PWC users who have no knowledge of water safety and who endanger the lives of others. Period. This involves cutting too close to boats, jumping wakes while someone is skiing, etc. In a sense, if you're still defending PWC users after understanding what I just said, I suppose you're in on some sort of water-danger free-for-all campaign I'm unaware of.

I'm going to assume you've understood where I and the rest of the naysayers are coming from and say that I agree that there are boat owners who are just as bad as the PWC people in question. Once again this pretty much just proves my point -- we're talking about unsafe people on the water in general, not some kid who follows the rules and can only afford one type of watercraft. This isn't a flame-war between watercraft owners. I believe the vast majority of people on this board can agree that unsafe water-users overall are pretty lame, regardless of how they roll.
Old     (liquidmarcus)      Join Date: May 2004       08-04-2005, 7:02 AM Reply   
very well put
Old     (board22)      Join Date: May 2005       08-04-2005, 9:51 AM Reply   
VERY well put
Old    robertt            08-04-2005, 9:58 AM Reply   
Still hate em.

:-)
Old     (ladythump)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-04-2005, 10:06 AM Reply   
what tubers?
There aren't any tubers on my lake .....

Old     (wakeboardqueen)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-04-2005, 8:46 PM Reply   
I live on a lake so i wakeboard any time of the day .....but on weekends i just get up at around 7 and go wakeboard and Tube the rest of the day muhhahah. but avoid getting in the way of wakeboarders ...cause i know how annoying tubers are . and yes i have a paintball gun in my boat .and i use my jet ski for transportation :-)
Old     (twitch)      Join Date: Dec 2004       08-04-2005, 10:14 PM Reply   
ill stick to my lake where there was 3 boats on the lake all weekend (and i was on all of them at one point during the weekend) and this is on a day when there was absolute butta the whole weekend (pics may come soon if i get photoshop installed to resize them)
Old    munson            08-05-2005, 8:35 AM Reply   
Unsafe Operators, it is all about that. If I were to estimate unsafe boat drivers (wakeboard, speed, tubers, fishers, ect) I would estimate at least 50 percent seem to drive questionably and make poor decisions. If I were to estimate jet skiers driving and decision making I would rate 90 percent to make poor choices on the water. In my opinion the majority of people on the water dont know whats up. Be careful out there.
Old     (thirdgear)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-05-2005, 9:37 AM Reply   
I think a big part of the problem lies in the fact that people seem to assume water=safety no matter what. They get out of their car and into a boat, and because they're not on a road, they can do whatever they want. Now I'm sure we've all made some driving mistakes early on in our lake adventures, I myself got a warning once for "cutting off a cop" although 5 other boats did the same thing with me and she singled me out because of my age. It becomes an issue when you don't even attempt to progress and learn the rules of the "road" so-to-speak. I believe this false sense of safety is just amplified for new and young riders on jetskis, most likely due to their size, speed and manuverability.

All the water activities we've talked about here can be super fun, but you've got to take a step back first and make the effort to learn what you're doing first. (And it doesn't take all that much effort to learn beginner boat safety). Protect yourself and others (not to mention your $40,000+ investment), there's no need for infighting amongst each "group," a little easily-attainable common water knowledge can greatly reduce these problems.

(Message edited by thirdgear on August 05, 2005)
Old    sking55405            08-05-2005, 11:32 AM Reply   
erin is right i live on a lake and at like 7 in the morning with my neighbors and then during the day when it is impossible to get on a board cause of all the boats i tube with my neighbors and when everybody gets off i go board again.
Old    justsomeguy            08-05-2005, 8:24 PM Reply   
I thought of this thread today while pulling my son through Vic's as some clueless guy, in a wake boat no less, towed a tube in big S curves right behind us while at the same time another wally was on the other side of the tules, going the "wrong' way.

Many empty, big, open, and wide sloughs and channels nearby for tube play...
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-05-2005, 8:26 PM Reply   
justsomeguy, i hate that! of all places to pull a tuber...victoria???

oh, another thing...just because they own a wake boat, doesn't mean they're all there. you've seen it!
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       08-08-2005, 7:30 PM Reply   
Ha - Victoria is so narrow that half the time the boat makes the S turns and the tube just follows in a straight line which kind of defeats the purpose in my mind.

I can honestly say for the first time since 1984 I have not pulled a wakeboarder (or skier) down Victoria yet during peak hours on a weekend so far this summer, it's just not worth it anymore. The funny thing is Vic can handle a huge number of boats when everyone isn't pulling tubers, sightseeing, throwing powerturns, ripping it up with jet skiis or just plain going the wrong way.
Old     (ktmwakeboarder)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-08-2005, 11:35 PM Reply   
YES! I have seen people tubing in Victoria, and I truly wonder that they are thinking... it can't possibly be fun to go in a straight line in calm water for like 3 miles! I am a big fan of the paintball gun idea but have just been lazy or forgotten it at home everytime I go out. I hate the ignorant/uneducated jetskiers (I do recognize not all jetskiing people are bad, but most are, sorry). I hate those who powerturn.

yesterday I was being towed when a stupid jetskier (was a rental, so they were a super idiot for sure) was playing in the wake right behind me and tailing me for quite a while, and despite my frantic waving them away, cursing and giving them the bird, never even realized the wrongness of the whole situation... sad
Old     (ss1234)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-15-2005, 10:40 AM Reply   
It all comes down to boating etiquette. Some people have it, and most don't. I boat mostly on weekends so my expectation of smart people on the water is pretty low. I thought the weekday boaters might "know" a little more. Last week at New Melones (Thur), I was corrected. You *^&*ing morons in the white MB sports, and red and white Sanger know who you are. The main lake was empty with a little wind chop, no rollers. The cove we were in was glassing up, until these two boats came in. One was pulling two tubes with 3 people in each. The other had one tube. Like throwing a baseball through a glass window. When they offered a friendly waive as they went by, it was obvious they had no clue and simply are not worthy of owning a boat. I flipped them off, and they really thought they were #1.
Old     (noti_dad)      Join Date: Jul 2003       08-15-2005, 2:30 PM Reply   
Wally from Tuberville was out at 7:00am in his 26ft Bayliner on LK Washington Sunday morning power turning up and down the whole lake. We moved to another area when he got close. Few minutes later he came over to where we were and started doing it again. Don't think it was on purpose. I think he was looking for smooth water for his tubeclinger kids. Fortunately we were done and going. Have fun Wally!!!
Old     (bigpapaf1f)      Join Date: May 2005       08-15-2005, 3:41 PM Reply   
What I like to do is go buy a $70,000 boat, with 4 brand new HL set ups. Then I put them on the racks at my house(so people can see how cool I am on the way to the water).When I get the boat in the water(It takes me a long time cuz it's hard to back down the ramp) I go to were the most people are so they can see my boat,then I tube (cuz I don't know how to wakeboard) but I look like I do. I am so cool.
Old     (wakeboarder84)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-15-2005, 4:02 PM Reply   
someone should make designated areas for each thing. like where the water is general smooth should be wakeboarders, and then crap water for tubers and jet skis, then an area for whatever else. thats what should be done
Old     (sandman59)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-15-2005, 7:40 PM Reply   
What I like to do is spend time on the water, period, and if my daughter wants to ski or tube, she is going to get a pull, without any apologies. I now only do wakeboarding, but I not going to tell my kids to wakeboard or else. Tubing got my youngest daughter behind the boat, skiing has her standing behind the boat, next year she may well be wakeboarding, it's up to her. To me its about having a good time together on the water.