Articles
   
       
Pics/Video
       
Wake 101
   
       
       
Shop
Search
 
 
 
 
 
Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Share 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-11-2021, 4:38 PM Reply   
Thinking about hanging up the spatula in the next few years. Daydreaming about what retirement might look like.

One idea is to buy a sailboat and sail the Caribbean or perhaps the world, if that's what calls my name.

If that's the path, the ultimate goal would be something like a Privilege 585 catamaran.
But, I'm thinking that I would need to start smaller and learn the ropes. It would be primarily just me and my girlfriend doing the sailing.

Anyone have any recommendations on a good 40 footer of so to really learn to sail with just the two of us?

Thanks
Old     (95sn)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-11-2021, 6:47 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ord27 View Post
Thinking about hanging up the spatula in the next few years. Daydreaming about what retirement might look like.

One idea is to buy a sailboat and sail the Caribbean or perhaps the world, if that's what calls my name.

If that's the path, the ultimate goal would be something like a Privilege 585 catamaran.
But, I'm thinking that I would need to start smaller and learn the ropes. It would be primarily just me and my girlfriend doing the sailing.

Anyone have any recommendations on a good 40 footer of so to really learn to sail with just the two of us?

Thanks
I havnt been for a few years but...Its tough to beat the BVI. You need just enough experience to make it thru the initial shake down and then youre on your own. A 40' cat is pretty big for 2.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       02-12-2021, 8:32 AM Reply   
I would learn on a mono. Cats should come easy after that.
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-12-2021, 9:14 AM Reply   
I've sailed 16' cats and small sunfish boats. So, I'm not a complete novice....but close

If Biden gets his way, and taxes unrealized gains, I will need to push out retirement a few more years

ugh

Last edited by ord27; 02-12-2021 at 9:18 AM.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       02-12-2021, 9:23 AM Reply   
That won't happen. It would kill investment.
Old     (95sn)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-12-2021, 9:46 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ord27 View Post
I've sailed 16' cats and small sunfish boats. So, I'm not a complete novice....but close

If Biden gets his way, and taxes unrealized gains, I will need to push out retirement a few more years

ugh
On our first trip, our "captain" had only ever sailed a 15 ft Hobie as a teenager. I still cant believe they let us take their $million+ cat, the rest of our crew had never sailed before. Agree with P, a mono hull a good choice for 2. It will be a great adventure.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       02-12-2021, 9:50 AM Reply   
I meant get licensed on a mono then buy a cat. Tons more room, faster, easier to sale etc..

This is what you should get. It will basically sail itself. Make sure to get the water maker option.

https://www.cata-lagoon.com/en/seventy-7#gallery
Old     (DeltaHoosier)      Join Date: Mar 2018       02-12-2021, 9:54 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by psudy View Post
I meant get licensed on a mono then buy a cat. Tons more room, faster, easier to sale etc..

This is what you should get. It will basically sail itself. Make sure to get the water maker option.

https://www.cata-lagoon.com/en/seventy-7#gallery
Man, I felt an immediate sense of relaxation just looking at those pictures.
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-12-2021, 10:28 AM Reply   
wow. That's nice

thanks for the responses guys. Fun to dream a bit
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       02-12-2021, 11:41 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaHoosier View Post
Man, I felt an immediate sense of relaxation just looking at those pictures.
Right! did you see the one with the small plane on the swim platform? Goals.....
Old     (DeltaHoosier)      Join Date: Mar 2018       02-17-2021, 1:58 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by psudy View Post
Right! did you see the one with the small plane on the swim platform? Goals.....
Not sure I did. I need to rob a bank or three for that kind of stuff or become a Nigerian and get some crazy cat people to send me money. Pretty cool that people can make stuff like that and that there are places to see like that on earth.

Reply
Share 

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:18 PM.

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
Wake World Home

 

© 2019 eWake, Inc.    
Advertise    |    Contact    |    Terms of Use    |    Privacy Policy    |    Report Abuse    |    Conduct    |    About Us