Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through December 14, 2003

Old    leslisa            11-17-2003, 11:53 AM Reply   
I've been thinking about it, I suck at riding (although I do it anyway ) but I'm great at organizing. I've got alot of experience. I'm willing to do anything I can if there is enough interest. I'm in Florida and we have alot of nice areas here.

I was thinking Lake Whipoorwhill and OWC? There is a KOA at Whipoorwhill, it's in the middle of the state, it's near OWC, and all of the cold weathr folks could stay relatively inexpensively. Any other areas you can think of that would be great. Maybe we could do an East and West coast thing at the same time to save on travel cost?

This would not be a competition thing, more of a convergence on a certain area at a certain time. Would anyone be interested in attending? If we were really interested in doing it, we could perhaps send out flyers to the local shops in different areas and see what happens. Let me know what you think.

Lisa
Old    lucky            11-17-2003, 12:24 PM Reply   
I'm sure my wife would be interested, she would be able to bring our boat. We live in Jacksonville, but I could bring the boat down with her then hook up with some other friends. We have stayed at the KOA on Lake Whipporwill it is a nice facility.
Old    xtremebordgurl            11-17-2003, 12:29 PM Reply   
Lisa I am with u 110%! Let's make this thing happen!
Old     (sid7)      Join Date: Mar 2003       11-17-2003, 1:46 PM Reply   
I would come down if my schedule permitted me too. let me know when you might do something like this! Sounds exciting!
Old     (wakeboardrn)      Join Date: May 2002       11-17-2003, 1:48 PM Reply   
You should check with either Susan Wilson or Tiffany Landry at wakechicks.com. They've put on several women wakeboarding get togethers like this and probably would have some good tips for your organization of it.

They are tons of fun! I've been to a few girls day get togethers, and it's always a great time.
Old    xtremebordgurl            11-18-2003, 6:01 PM Reply   
any ideas for date time place or ne of that good stuff?
Old    leslisa            11-20-2003, 6:30 AM Reply   
I'm thinking around spring break time, Orlando isn't that crowded and we may potentially have a lot more girls be able to make it. I was thinking of a four day thing. I'll check with Tiffany at wakechicks. I'm coordinating a holiday dance for about 1000 people and after that I'll have more time to devote to this project.

I'm already planning in my head. I will be contacting the KOA and OWC to see if they will give us special group rates, and girls can come and go as they please during the four days. I'm looking into getting a female coach for one of the days too and how easy/difficult it would be to get one of the radio stations to back us up.

I'll also be setting up a website for early interest/enrollment. I think it will be a great time )

Bess, just wondering, are you volunteering

Lisa
Old     (marcg)      Join Date: Oct 2003       11-20-2003, 8:15 AM Reply   

Lisa M...not to highjack this post or anything but are there any people down there in Melbourne who ride regularly?...I just moved out beachside from Orlando.
Any decent freshwater lakes in the area?

Thanks.
Old    leslisa            11-20-2003, 9:34 AM Reply   
Marc,

No worries. We wakeboard on Lake Washington. Others wakeboard in the Indian River Lagoon or the C-54 canal. Personally, I don't like snakes so the C-54 is out for me. I'd rather deal with gators. I don't go on the Indian River Lagoon cause I hate saltwater up my nose. If you are ever looking for a pull, let me know, I'm out every Sunday at the least and alot of Saturdays. We (some friends and I) are thinking of doing a campout on Thanksgiving weekend on one of the islands in the river.

BTW, I've only ever met guys who ride, so I'm usually the only chick up and going.

If we set something up, would you like to join in?

Lisa
Old    xtremebordgurl            11-22-2003, 9:50 PM Reply   
Lisa I'll volunteer for sure! Anything u want me to do, ANYTHING, let me know and I'll be more than happy to do it! I've organized some small organizations and events in the past so anything I can do, don't hesitate to e-mail me!
Old     (marcg)      Join Date: Oct 2003       11-24-2003, 9:17 AM Reply   
Hi Lisa....C-54 canal.....thats a pretty cool sounding name for a riding spot...is that salt or brackish?
I saw the Lake Washington road from the I-95...I'll have to come down there and check it out.
I noticed someone beachside owns a Super Air Nautique...parked right out front off A1A in IHB...pretty
surprized to a see a boat like that out there!
Old    leslisa            11-25-2003, 10:58 AM Reply   
Brackish. It's the canal that runs through Palm Bay. It has really high sides so even when it is blowing like crazy, the wind really doesn't cause the water to chop.

Bess - I would love to have your help. I would like to find contacts in different states to post information and that sort of thing. I think the best dates will be June 17, 18, 19, and 20. Thursday - Sunday. I saw that you are a photographer. That would be very cool if you could also take photos of the event ). I will email you at the beginning of next year, probably after the holidays when I can get a website up and running.
Old     (marcg)      Join Date: Oct 2003       11-25-2003, 1:34 PM Reply   

This C-54 sounds awesome (apart from the snakes)....I checked it out on the map...that thing is long, its pretty far down there and it looks like it is in the middle of nowhere....how wide is the canal?....is it pretty deep?...dirty?

Now that you have mentioned it I recall someone briefly telling me about it....a very very long time ago.

Sorry for all the questions...this spot intrigues me though.
Old     (luv2w8k)      Join Date: Jan 2003       11-26-2003, 11:56 AM Reply   
Lisa-

Im in for a weekend as well. I also just bought a house on a private ski-lake in Tampa and have an 89' ski nautique. So a mini girls weekend at my place would be possible as well. There is no camping but Im on the canal side and have some room for some tents in my backyard and definately some floor space in the house.

Michele
Old    wakejunkeygirl            11-26-2003, 5:44 PM Reply   
Michele....

I am SO there! (at your mini-event) *tee hee hee*
Old     (luv2w8k)      Join Date: Jan 2003       12-01-2003, 11:32 AM Reply   
Sweet! We will have to keep and eye on the weather channel and plan for a warm weekend.
Old    wakejunkeygirl            12-01-2003, 6:55 PM Reply   
MICHELE!! you missed it yesterday,,,musta been your 'board pants' gave me the juice to do that longed TS 180 air!!! you were up there chattin' with Nicks wife. EE coached me on the dock and had me do the handle pass (hip to hip) and then I went first, BRRRRRRRRRR, went out toeside, said to myself,,come on angi, you can throw it AND land this. came in TS, threw it, did the handle pass and whop! landed it right on the other wake, went on out that side, and then did a surface 180 back to regular!!! I was so stoked and when I got back to the house,,you were no where to be found so I couldnt share! No you, No Grizz and I think EE was too drunk to remember it! LOL anyway, thought I would share that was a big accomplishment, that was a goal I had set for next year, now my goal at wakeboard camp is gonna have to be an invert! *I'm workin' on some nifty grabs next!* ps,did you ever find your wb helmet????? that is too wierd!
that water was FREAKIN' COLD.
Old    xtremebordgurl            12-02-2003, 1:13 PM Reply   
Congrats Angi!!! That is soooooo awesome!! Keep lovin the sport and hav'n fun! After all, thats what its all about!
Old     (luv2w8k)      Join Date: Jan 2003       12-03-2003, 6:19 AM Reply   
Its the pants they are magical Its all about how you feel if you look the part you play it. JK. Anyway that is great that you landed the TS 180 now well have to get you throwing it HS or halfcab.

I found my helmet it was in my underwear basket of all places Do you still have my board pants by the way? Lunch this week is a must and a haircut.
Old    wakejunkeygirl            12-03-2003, 6:27 AM Reply   
sent ya an email...you mean the 'magic pants" tee hee hee. yes,they were in my wet stuff i brought home, they are all dry and clean now! thanks!!! (ill pack em in my bag so next time i see ya, we'll do the 'hand off') hmmmm..underwear basket. GLAD i didnt find it!! LOL

Old    leslisa            12-03-2003, 7:00 AM Reply   
Michelle - A mini weekend. That sounds really great. Maybe we could plan that for spring break and then the big one for June?? On another subject, If you don't mind me asking, how did you find your home? Do you like where you live? Are there any websites or anything that can recommend decent wakeboarding living/riding lakes? We are thinking of moving so that we can live on a lake where I can wakeboard. We are on the East Coast now, and we can live on a lake, but most of them prohibit wakeboarding.

Angi - That is so cool. Congratulations .

Marc - I'm not ignoring you. I'm just totally swamped right now (the story of my life - hahaha). I'm planning three big holiday parties right now - one for about 800, one for 60, and a small one for 30 or so people (OK, maybe more, it's snowballing). So I'm just keeping my head above water. I have no idea how wide the canal is. I want to say about 50 - 60 feet or so. We can turn our 20 foot in it, but I'll try to remember to ask my hubby. It is pretty deep. It is pretty murky, but so are most of the lakes and such here.

Lisa
Old    bevin            12-03-2003, 2:32 PM Reply   
nice to see this carrying on around the country...check us out www.wakechicks.com, we put on a girls day out each year, with a HUGE turnout, over 100 girls each year...If ya'll are interested, I can get you set up with some pro girls...just let me know
Old    bevin            12-03-2003, 2:44 PM Reply   
to :Lisa M (leslisa)
send me an email, so i can get you set up with Leslie Kent, or Cathy Williams. They are both awesome and love to get involved. LEs is in Orlando, and I may be out there in the spring. Would love to hook up & ride with the ladies
Bevin beeker9253@yahoo.com
Old     (luv2w8k)      Join Date: Jan 2003       12-04-2003, 7:40 AM Reply   
Lisa-

I bought a map picked a lake close to work and started looking for FOR SALE signs. But if you call a realtor they can pull up info on ski lakes properties for sale. Hell in 6 months I might get relocated and you could rent out my place if you want the west cost. Its an older fixer upper but I am on the canal have access to a 100acre lake etc. I get my real estate license next year so you could probably just call me up. Anyway you can check out the place on my website I havent moved in yet but I cant wait. www.oleanderbuilders.com

Bevin-
Hey girl I am living in Florida now and dont live in Texas anymore. Hook me up with some numbers of riders if you have any in the Tampa area. Hope all is well

Michele
Old    xtremebordgurl            12-04-2003, 1:19 PM Reply   
Lets get a mailing list together everyone who's interested put ur name, and e-mail addy
ie:

Bess Marine
wakegurl17@aol.com
or
xtremeboardgurl17@hotmail.com
Old    wakejunkeygirl            12-04-2003, 1:33 PM Reply   
Thanks girls! I feel very proud of myself!

Hey Michele..you are not gonna believe this..your 'magic pants' did a TANTRUM in the laundry room! THOSE things are SICK!
Old     (luv2w8k)      Join Date: Jan 2003       12-04-2003, 1:48 PM Reply   
Angi...When those pants can wash temselves then they will really be magic

Old     (ladyboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2001       12-06-2003, 6:01 AM Reply   
Hi girls, you are welcome to join the wakechicks email list and discussion board. Just go to groups.msn.com/wakechicks to sign up. I think that will work. You may meet many more girls wanting to come to the get together.
Later
Tiffany
Old    leslisa            12-08-2003, 12:49 PM Reply   
Thanks Tiffany!! I'll be a bit more proactive after this weekend.

Lisa