Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (jfisher03)      Join Date: May 2008       03-30-2011, 2:04 PM Reply   
I recently bought a honda 2000i generator and was wondering if anyone has ever used one of these to keep their batteries charged while running their stereo? My plan in theory is when I pull my boat up to shore, set the generator off the boat and run an extension cord to a battery charger and let it charge the batteries. The generator is super quiet so i dont see it interfering with the music but im not sure what I would need to set the charger at for it to keep up with what my amp is pulling, or if it even would keep up. ive seen a picture on here of a couple guys using the same generator for the same purpose, but i just want to make sure i got all my bases covered before i go out and try this and find out it just wont work or if im missing something. thanks for the help!
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       03-30-2011, 2:30 PM Reply   
I think that generator will do the job fine. We have several at work and use them to power computers through UPS battery backups and they can keep up with 3+ full desktop computers.

The charger would depend on your power setup. I have the smallest battery tender and it can keep up with my "200 watt" amp and the factory receiver.
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       03-30-2011, 4:18 PM Reply   
Seems overly complex to me. Why not just run 2-3 batteries with an isolator and start the boat every now and again?
Old     (alindquist)      Join Date: Mar 2004       03-30-2011, 4:29 PM Reply   
We run one every now and again and it works great, was able to run my system for 8+ hours at a party last year with out missing a beat and was still able to start the boat at the end of the day... Not sure what model it is but I know it's a small Honda.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-30-2011, 5:18 PM Reply   
I believe this is Hyperlites boat (I snagged this pic fron G's Bump Party pics):
Attached Images

Old     (chris4x4gill2)      Join Date: Sep 2009       03-31-2011, 11:30 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadunkle View Post
Seems overly complex to me. Why not just run 2-3 batteries with an isolator and start the boat every now and again?

This is what i was thinking, would it not be easier to run the boat motor for 10 minutes every couple of hours?
Old     (tims72)      Join Date: Apr 2008       03-31-2011, 12:13 PM Reply   
starting the boat every 10 min wont work. running the generator works great. i put in a progessive dynamics converter in the boat next to the four batteries. run it all day while the stereo is playing and all night to top them off for the next day.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       04-01-2011, 8:36 AM Reply   
I've done this before...seemed to work ok ( boat started at the end of a 10 hour day, lol) , I used a charger that only put out 15 amps.....I know the stero was pulling way more than that. FYI...it's a very ineffecient setup.
Old     (chris4x4gill2)      Join Date: Sep 2009       04-01-2011, 11:39 AM Reply   
your batteries only last 10 minutes with the stereo on? guess i'm way outclassed o nthat front then, Granted I have a mild stereo but on only 1 battery I can play it most of the day with no worries.
Old     (factorykitted)      Join Date: Jul 2009       04-01-2011, 3:13 PM Reply   
I think the correct way to do this is a power supply and not a traditional on board battery charger
Old     (MattSherman55)      Join Date: May 2012       06-01-2012, 7:07 PM Reply   
What size converter did you use??
Old     (pprior)      Join Date: Jan 2012       06-01-2012, 9:07 PM Reply   
Umm, keep in mind that you are talking about running 120V current from a generator through an extension cord over the water and into your boat? Safety wise, that sounds like a potential disaster, especially if partying and drinking is involved. Big difference between the 12V on your boat and a generator, especially if you're spanning water. I think a far better choice would be to upgrade to larger capacity batteries and make sure they are fully charged at the end of the day/overnight with a larger alternator on your boat as a good option as well.

Maybe I'm off on this, I defer to those of you with far larger and more complex audio systems than me, but water, alcohol and 120V current just doesn't seem like a good mix to me.
Old     (mendo247)      Join Date: Mar 2005       06-02-2012, 9:51 PM Reply   
I keep a generator on the boat to power the onboard charger after a day of beating up the batteries. I throw it in the bow and let it run till it runs out of gas. Once we even fired it up during the day so my buddies son could play his game boy lol
Old    bigdtx            06-03-2012, 6:46 AM Reply   
The generator has a built in battery charger but I've also seen people plug a xantrex charger into the 120 outlet on the generator - supposedly the xantrex is more efficient.