Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 12, 2008

Old     (kneeboarddad)      Join Date: Sep 2005       04-25-2008, 4:02 AM Reply   
This is the judging format. This is a great system and should make contest much better. Good job BIsh. Way to keep the sport evloving and improving.

KING OF WAKE JUDGING AND SCORING FORMAT:

Pro Men
Juniors will use traditional 3 judge WWA system

Judges will be assigned a category from the following and will only be responsible for tricks from that category.

Air = 15% of score
Raley based tricks, including raleys with 180 (krypt, blind judge)
Grabs
Straight airs, tweaks, pokes
· 180’s
This judge will take into account:
D difficulty
R risk in the run
I intensity
V variety
E execution
Spins = 20% of score
· All spins (360+)

D difficulty
R risk in the run
I intensity
V variety
E execution
Tech = 25% of score
Flips
Rolls
Flips or rolls + 180 (crow etc)
Raley + 360 (313, s-bend etc)
· Mobes (flip or roll + spin)
D difficulty
R risk in the run
I intensity
V variety
E execution
Rails = 20% of score

THE KICKER IS NOT SCORED IN THE RUNS THIS YEAR. ONLY FOR BEST TRICK AWARD OFF APPARATUS.
D difficulty
R risk in the run
I intensity
V variety
E execution
Overall Impression: = 20% of score

This judge will ignore the actual trick but will judge intensity, execution, grabs and overall look of run.
This judge will note on the score sheet:
The intensity of every trick.
How clean each trick is.
Every grab the rider does.
· Overall look of run: how well the run flowed?

Explanations:

D difficulty
R risk in the run
I intensity
V variety
E execution

Difficulty:
Number of rotations
Combos (combining tricks, adding spins, grabs etc)
Frontside or backside (blind)
Switch v regular
Handle pass v landing wrapped
Grabbed or not

Risk:
Where in the run is the trick performed?
Was there a ‘safe’ alternative?
Linking difficult tricks

Intensity:
Wake to wake v out in the flats
Grabs held

Variety:
Were the tricks all based on the same trick? (roll, roll 2 rev, roll 2 blind, kgb = similar)
Were the grabs different?
Were the rails slid differently? (boardslide v lipslide, heelside v frontside)

Execution:
Were landings clean?
Were grabs legit?
Did the rider customise or adapt tricks…make them their own?

General:
Judges will only score tricks successfully landed. Falls are simply a missed trick and course time is lost. You will not be judged down for falls, but this can take away from the overall look and flow of a riders run. Riders are allowed 2 falls. The run ends on 3rd fall.

A double up is judged according to the trick performed. (Spin = spin judge etc) Pro Men will have double ups. Pro Women will not have double ups.

The Kicker will only count for the best trick contest off the apparatus. Riders are encouraged to hit the kicker. The kicker will be placed out of the way of the actual run, but in a prime location for the crowd to view.

The number of tricks performed in each category is up to the rider, but if a rider does not do a trick from a category, they will receive NO POINTS FROM THAT CATEGORY. This is to encourage a well-composed run, with a variety of tricks.

A separate judge will be assigned to each of these categories. When 5 judges are available, they will be assigned one category each. When 3 judges are used, trick categories will be doubled up and 1 will judge Overall Impression.

Scoring:
Each judge will award a score out of 10 for each category, taking into account the D.R.I.V.E criteria. The score out of 10 is for only the tricks in that category, the number of tricks does not influence the score. The score provides a ranking only.

Ties will be broken by placements. The first tie breaker will go to the rider with most first places. Second tie breaker will go to the rider with most second places and so on until the tie is broken.
Old     (hoosairboy)      Join Date: Aug 2005       04-25-2008, 2:06 PM Reply   
I like it
Old     (caseman1322)      Join Date: Sep 2007       04-25-2008, 2:17 PM Reply   
think this is definitely a step in the right direction for our sport. Wakeboarding is the only sport where the competition is based on doing tricks and the style of the trick doesn't seem to affect the score. Hopefully this will change that. I would love to see guys like randall Harris and Keith Lyman move up in the king of wake ranks without having to change the way they ride. Maybe this way they will get more appreciation in competitions by doing what they do best...Going HUGE.
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-25-2008, 4:03 PM Reply   
I watched it this weekend, it really levels the playing field.
Old     (da_kamp)      Join Date: Jan 2008       04-25-2008, 4:08 PM Reply   
Finally they incorporate some more style and air into the comp.

and since lyman can take a couple mobes pretty huge he's def going to be much higher in the ranks. Unfortunately if you read Vandalls last thing on the home page he's going to still be pretty low in the standings.
Old     (deltawake)      Join Date: Sep 2004       04-26-2008, 10:54 AM Reply   
If I understand correctly, this does not apply to Jr. men's and lower divisions- only pro divisions?
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-26-2008, 6:01 PM Reply   
Peter, you are correct, apply's to pro men & pro women for 08. Jr. men's will ride under last years 3 judge scoring format.