Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 28, 2007

Old     (madvlin)      Join Date: Jun 2007       10-16-2007, 2:02 PM Reply   
what is the no teak surfing rule?
Old    nwwakerider            10-16-2007, 2:16 PM Reply   
teak surfing is when you hold onto the swimstep and the boat is moving. so your "surfing" while holding onto the swimstep. its illegal because some people died since the exhaust is only about two feet from your face
Old     (vin)      Join Date: May 2007       10-16-2007, 5:02 PM Reply   
the rule is dont ever do it or let anyone you like do it
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-17-2007, 11:44 AM Reply   
teak surfing is the fastest growning of all watersports...also, my favorite
Old     (dfizzle15)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-17-2007, 11:51 AM Reply   
Probably the dumbest thing I have ever heard. Death cannot be fun.
Old     (kcampos)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-17-2007, 11:56 AM Reply   
Nick your age shows with that comment
I'm sure you also like inhaling the exhaust from your car also
Old     (daverideswakes)      Join Date: Sep 2007       10-17-2007, 12:04 PM Reply   
Teak surfing isn't a water sport. It's a death wish.

Have fun killing brain cells, Nick.
Old     (waterfreak)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-17-2007, 12:11 PM Reply   
stupid is as stupid does.
Old     (summerobsession)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-17-2007, 12:51 PM Reply   
A lot of people seem to confuse teak surfing with wake surfing, especially in my area.
Wake surfing is a blast, but I can't imagine what the fun in hanging on to a swim platform and dragging your butt around the lake would be, but I guess some people think it's fun.
Seems like a good way to kill yourself, if that is the desired result.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       10-17-2007, 1:12 PM Reply   
Aint bad if you have sideswipe option. All depends on the boat. :-)Fun when done behind the right one every now and again, but def wouldn't recommend it behind an inboard other than behind a Centurion w sideswipe
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-17-2007, 1:35 PM Reply   
Sideswipe or Fresh Air Exhaust.
Old     (nasty530)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-17-2007, 1:41 PM Reply   
what is so fun about it?
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       10-17-2007, 1:55 PM Reply   
Can't remember which exactly... but in the end credits of Free4All maybe Harf or Sharpe were teak surfing. Comments?
Old     (joe_788)      Join Date: Aug 2003       10-17-2007, 1:56 PM Reply   
T-Bag, it's considered fun by some because when done properly, it's just like body surfing. You are about 1 foot behind the swim platform, not holding on, with the whitewash pushing you along at the same speed as the boat. Usually around 8-10mph.

It's illegal because some jackass let his less-than-12 year old kid teak surf for several HOURS with NO VEST, and the kid eventually passed out from the fumes and drowned. The genius then sued the boat manufacturer for not making it obvious that boats with gasoline engines create exhaust fumes. He won, even though he was breaking the law by allowing the child to even be on the boat without a vest, let alone participating in a watersport without a vest.

Obviously this is not an activity you want to participate in if you've got an I/O.
Old     (waterfreak)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-17-2007, 2:27 PM Reply   
Many folks have died from teak surfing not just one and of different ages. In this particular case one of the three teak surfers went under after only one to two minutes of teak surfing. http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/surveyreports/pdfs/ECTB-171-05ee2.pdf

Also almost every state that has boating has had a teak surfing fatality every year. This is why a lot of states are now banning teak surfing.

The folks that sued started the process into law. They are not the only deaths from teak surfing.

(Message edited by waterfreak on October 17, 2007)
Old     (lespaul)      Join Date: May 2007       10-17-2007, 5:38 PM Reply   
calm down guys... I'm pretty sure nick was kidding
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       10-17-2007, 5:59 PM Reply   
Teak surfing and wakesurfing are confusing to legislators. They don't completely understand the difference. Legislators have a responsibility to enact laws for the greater good. If people die from wakesurfing there’s a possibility that more stringent laws will appear.

I really enjoy wakesurfing, it’s become my primary water sports activity. I would first hate to see some uninformed person lose their life to this terribly dangerous activity. Maybe you want to try it just once. Well that one time could be your last!

I’d also hate to see broad sweeping laws eliminating wakesurfing, which IMO is a very safe activity.

Also I’m sure that the good people at Centurion would rather not see people using Side Swipe is use supporting teak surfing. I also don’t think that Larry Mann, Owner of Fresh Air Exhaust, would appreciate use of his system to promote or enable teak surfing.

Please boat responsibly.
Old     (waterfreak)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-18-2007, 6:04 AM Reply   
I love to wakesurf too and there is a big difference between teaksurfing and wakesurfing. It is similar to the life jacket debate. Last year 520 folks died from drowning. 85% of those folks that died would have been saved if they had been wearing a life jacket.

Boat responsibly.
Old     (tuneman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-18-2007, 6:44 AM Reply   
I'm wit Nick. Teak surfin' is waaay awesome. We don't got a teak platform on our Bassmaster outboard boat, though, so we just hang on a short rope. Lots a fun. We wakesirf too. Gotta be careful not ta hit da motor wit the board though. I stood on my sister once and surfed her while she was teak surfin'.

I feel dizzy....have you seen my sister?
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-18-2007, 12:14 PM Reply   
In no way was I saying that FAE makes it okay nor do I even Teak surf to begin with I just saying that it does eliminate all exhaust from the rear. It has made a huge difference on my boat for surfing.

How about we have this discussion week after week again.
Old     (waterfreak)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-18-2007, 12:44 PM Reply   
ok next week 2:30 pm sound good for you?