Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 08, 2008

Old     (tobs2)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-24-2008, 1:47 PM Reply   
I am in the process of buying a u-dock style Hydrohoist and have never had to move one before, I will not be towing it far,,,just from one dock to another about 10-15 minutes away from each other but wanted to know if I have to cap anything specific? I know there are 2 hoses I believe for the air that need to be plugged or something but is there anything in the back of it or any trick to this? Thanks in advance.... Tobin

P.S. it is being towed in Disco Bay / Delta Area...
Old     (tj_in_kc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       04-24-2008, 2:01 PM Reply   
This is how they brought mine by water. Essentially a pontoon boat w/o the seats and stuff.

(Message edited by tj_in_kc on April 24, 2008)
Old     (tj_in_kc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       04-24-2008, 2:09 PM Reply   
There should be an air shuttoff value on top of the tanks. probably just turn that and keep the hoses on there, and remove the hoses from the motor on the dock. Have you figured out what you are going to use to move it? Those are heavy as hell.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (fast355)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-24-2008, 3:39 PM Reply   
I was told that some guys run a generator while towing to supply 110v and keep the pump running to compensate for the potential loss of air from the bottom of the tanks while moving it!

Not a bad idea if you have a good spot to place the Gen.

Also, I think some Mfg's have plugs for the bottoms of the tanks for moving them...

Both good ideas when faced with the thought of the hoist sinking on you. I'd at least tie a line with a bouy / slalom ball to it in the event you lost her!!
Old     (airagain)      Join Date: Jun 2006       04-24-2008, 5:44 PM Reply   
Tobin,

I have moved mine a couple times. You really should be careful. First if you close all the valves and tie the controller to the bunks that will be fine. Most importantly you need to locate some 'diapers' for the holes on the bottom of each pontoon. These are usually metal pieces with rubber to make a seal that you cinch with a chain around the pontoons. These will keep the air in the pontoons. It can float okay without, but if you get the front of the hoist pointing down at all you will start to let out air and let in water. Not a good thing believe me. I had this happen while adjusting my hoist at the dock while I had the two rear arms unattached. Water rushed to the front and the rear of the hoist went up in the air. If it was not attached at the front it would have sunk. Instead my boat ended up sliding over the front and hitting the dock. Luckily there was not damage put it took a lot of work to get every back as it should be. Be careful...
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       04-24-2008, 5:48 PM Reply   
Go by Fat Cat Sales at the marina and ask to borrow or buy some plugs for the tanks. They are just keep the air in the tanks if they tip forward. It's pretty tough to tow it without the tanks tipping forward and filling with water. You may want to add some load to the back of the tanks? Just keep in mind water flows downhill...