Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 21, 2006

Old     (3puttwilson)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-22-2006, 7:30 AM Reply   
I know this has been talked about many times. I did a search but couldn't find a thread that explained how to hook up a second battery in my boat. I mean I couldn't find a thread that I understood....I have an 03 X2 with a basic sound system that consists of 2 amps, a sub tower speakers and interior speakers. I remember seeing a diagram in a thread once of how to hook this up but I couldn't find it. If anyone could explain this to me with the parts I will need or give me a link to an old thread, I would greatly appreciate it. My single battery died over the weekend and I was hauled back home behind a pontoon...not good for the old ego....and something I never will let happen again...thanks
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       05-22-2006, 7:36 AM Reply   
The switch is wired the same regardles of boat. do a search under "dual battery". your switch should come with instructions. It's very simple.
Old     (boarder_x)      Join Date: Mar 2006       05-22-2006, 8:04 AM Reply   
This was posted somewhere else, by I don't know who. however, it is an EXCELLENT pic. .... Just use what you need for your specific application.

Upload

(Message edited by boarder_x on May 22, 2006)
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       05-22-2006, 8:42 AM Reply   
This picture shows the wiring for an isolator not a battery switch, just FYI.
Old     (boarder_x)      Join Date: Mar 2006       05-22-2006, 9:11 AM Reply   
Yes, I understand that. I have decided my next install will be with an isolator, not a switch. Like you said before though, the Perko instructions are very good. Just replace the isolator with a switch, and then apply the Perko instructions..... The main differece should be the location of the ignition wire, and the negative wires. Also Wilson may not be using a fuse block.

Thanks for keeping me honest though Adam.

Robb
Old     (3puttwilson)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-22-2006, 10:50 AM Reply   
Thanks for the info so far...Is the opinion that I need a second battery for sure? I could keep a spare on hand in case of emergencies but is hooking up a second battery actually necessary with the stereo system I have?
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       05-22-2006, 10:56 AM Reply   
Wilson, you said yorusefl you had to be towed in by another boat b/c your battery was dead. Even a basic sound system can zap a battery fairly quickly. you need a backup. wheather it be a hardwired backup or just a jumper battery box.
Old     (boarder_x)      Join Date: Mar 2006       05-22-2006, 10:56 AM Reply   
Why would you want to bring along a second battery for emergencies? It would be MUCH easier to just wire it. Then you can charge it with the alternator. Otherwise you will need to take it out when you get home, hook it to a charger, and then put it back in when you go out again. Way too much work. Wiring with a Perko switch took me about 45 min. And that's because I was really nervous about messing it up. Really took my time. Should take about 20 min.