Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 15, 2005

Old     (centralcali)      Join Date: Jan 2005       01-16-2005, 1:17 PM Reply   
I have been looking the last couple weeks for a boat and have seen a lot of Ski Centurions for sale. I am hoping to stay in the $12-$15k range. I would like to know if anyone has any feed back on the quality of these boats and what kind of wake they throw. I would also appreciate any pics of seating on the Vdrives (early 90s, 94 if possible).

Thanks
Trevor
Old    linus8103            01-18-2005, 3:50 PM Reply   
I just bought a 96 elite V-drive for 15,900. I have only test driven it but the wake was decent without weight. scroll down on the discussion board and look under 96 centurion elite V, and you will see a pic of the wake someone took for me.I had ?'s too and i got some good responses. The wrap around seating in the 96 is awesome...plenty of room to party.If your budget is 15K then you will have a hard time finding a V-drive. The Ski Nautique excel (91-93) was a V-drive and I have ridden behind it. They throw a decent wake and are in your price range also.
Old    jzwake            01-19-2005, 5:46 AM Reply   
There are not many V drives that old. As Kris said, nautique Excell is really the only V drive availible from the early 90's. Mid 90's Centurions can be had in the teens. Heres a link to my local dealer (way too far from you) with a few V drive centurions. Most are listed around 20, but they'd take 18. Again, just trying to show you some stuff, with pics.

http://www.chessiemarine.com/usedboats.htm
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       01-19-2005, 10:42 AM Reply   
OT, but this seems like a really bad way to store a boat. i know some dry docks pick them up like this, but i wouldn't want mine left that way in storage.

swayback
Old     (centralcali)      Join Date: Jan 2005       01-19-2005, 1:03 PM Reply   
I have seen 2 centurion falcon Vdrives (91 and 93 I think) on line in the $12-$14K range. I was just concerned about the kind of wake it would throw. I know they where made for sking and are on the shallow side. But I guess any boat you get from the early 90s will be. Both boats where closed bows, which made the Vdrive nice because of the extra room. However, I would sacrafice room for performance and a good wake. I have been doing some research on this sight and am now considering an old Nautique 2001 model.

I appreciate everyones feed back!

Trevor
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-19-2005, 1:20 PM Reply   
Buy a Sanger DLX and be a very happy man. It's a direct drive, but has plenty of storage and is really easy to weight for a killer wake. They have had that hull since the mid nineties if I'm not mistaken and you should be able to pick one up inexpensively.

Not to bang centurions, but I know too many owners that complain about the quality and the wake. Just keep your eyes open for other boats too. MC 205 prostars are killer too. If you are price limited I wouldn't limit yourself to a V-drive boat. There are too many good D-drives out there to be overlooked.
Old     (centralcali)      Join Date: Jan 2005       01-19-2005, 1:34 PM Reply   
I agree. I have heard that d-drives are fine and handle better that v-drives. I only brought up the falcon v-drive because it seemed like a good value for a v-drive. Most of the centurions I have looked at are d-drives. I was more concerned with the wake than the engine.

Evan- What about the MC 190s? I have seen a couple of those (early 90s) for around 10k.
Old    linus8103            01-19-2005, 3:22 PM Reply   
Trevor, I just sold my prostar 190 because the wake was too small. Trust me...the 190 is too small and the beam is very narrow. The 205 is a much better buy, but it is a pain in the ass to step over fat sacs all day in the boat. I lost a decent amount of money because I bought a DD then realized that a V-drive is what I really wanted.
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       01-19-2005, 3:31 PM Reply   
"I lost a decent amount of money because I bought a DD then realized that a V-drive is what I really wanted."

You and me both. I bought a 92 PS205 in january and rode the hell out of it all year. It produced a great wake, but I hated having to step over sacks all day. Ended up trading it in for a v-drive a couple moths ago. I wish I could've gotten over the sticker shock of a new boat and just made that purchase first, but live and learn I suppose.
Old    matt_w            01-19-2005, 9:01 PM Reply   
Ski Centurion Falcons where not designed for wakeboarding, V-Drive or not. These boats are built for skiers that ride in smooth water, and they are ok for pulling a tube. Trust me, I own one.

Unless you are a hardcore slalom skier or barefooter I would stay away.

Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       01-19-2005, 9:26 PM Reply   
Personally I think the Falcon was the biggest mistake Centurion ever made. My buddies direct drive wouldn't even go past 38mph. To pull 36mph shortline in the course we had to floor it then start backing off as we passed 1 ball, huge PITA to drive in the slalom course. Goofy tracking too, maybe he had a bad one. Very wet inefficient hull IMHO.
Old     (centralcali)      Join Date: Jan 2005       01-20-2005, 2:38 PM Reply   
Thank you! That is exactly what I needed to know.

Trevor
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       01-20-2005, 2:44 PM Reply   
I had a mid 90s Sport Bowrider. Was a nice boat, inexpensive, interior left a little to be desired. "If you get a mid 90s it will probably have been replaced by now though" Ran great though and yes not a wakeboarding boat. I paid 20K new back then for it.

Was a little on the small side though 20 foot and an 86 inch beam. My current boat has a 102 inch beam!! LOL Not much storage in the Sport Bowrider and rough water it felt like you were riding on a piece of plywood! LOL
Old    jzwake            01-24-2005, 6:37 AM Reply   
Trace, they detail the boat like that and then put it back on the trailer. I'm sure it is OK for the boat.
Old     (millah)      Join Date: Apr 2004       01-24-2005, 4:48 PM Reply   
yeah listen to Matt those boat are worthless for wakeboarding. My buddy had one.