Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 16, 2005

Old    dusty            04-30-2005, 11:04 AM Reply   
Hi all,

I do'nt post that much on this board, but I was hoping someone here could help me out a bit. In February I separated my shoulder snowboarding...it still bothers me and my range of motion won't even let me do a pushup. It is my right shoulder and I am left foot forward. Is it going to be really risky to ride this summer?? Is there anything I can (exercises, etc) that will lower my risk of injury??

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

-dusty
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       04-30-2005, 12:23 PM Reply   
Not knowing exactly what is wrong, I would suggest going to a physical therapist and asking their oppinion. I have had alot of shoulder problems torn biceps tendon and rotator cuff tear. I did not want surgury so they gave me several exercises to do. It has helped atleast 75-80 percent but not 100. godd luck shoulder injusire can drive you nuts. Just take it easy and don;t over do it.
Old     (grimlock)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-30-2005, 2:11 PM Reply   
There are a number of exercises to do, and you don't need to use more than 5 pounds to make them effective. If you can barely do a push up, then you have torn something in your rotator cuff. You can still function, but your shoulder will seperate with any jerking motion. You should be able to ride, but if you land with only your right hand on the handle, keep it as close as possible. Best bet is to get it checked by and orthopedic surgeon, he can clue you in on what is really up, and give you all the exercises to help strengthen the surrounding muscles to help stabilize the shoulder.
Old     (parkgirl)      Join Date: Nov 2001       04-30-2005, 3:13 PM Reply   
I also seperated my shoulder in february, snowboarding. It was only a first degree, but I went to the doctor, wore a demobilizing brace for three weeks, worked it out with 2 and 5 pound weights and did the stretches he gave me for like an hour EVERY day. I was back on the hill in 3 weeks, and have already wakeboarded a bunch, And it doesnt bother me. The key I think was stretching and lifting light weight, you can go to a physical therapist or ortho., but I just went to a regular doctor and he took care of me and gave me a sheet of all the excersises I needed to do. Good luck:-)
Old    mcculloughrg            04-30-2005, 10:27 PM Reply   
Dusty, I know what your post says but sometimes people confuse the 2. Did you separate or dislocate your shoulder? A few years ago, I seperated my shoulder snowboarding, it was a class 3 seperation. I went through 9 months of straight therapy using no more than 3 pounds working my way to 5 pounds. I came out good. I did turn down surgery 3 times. I went through steroid treatments which helped out quite a bit. I do have chronic arthritis and only about 80% mobility. I got heavy into lifting for about 3 years after that, at first I noticed the weakness difference and the pain. Half the time the pain felt like I was reinjuring it again, so you should watch yourself. I wakeboard all summer and it has no effect on me now. Just minor pain from arthritis but it's something I got used to. If you are thinking about jumping back into boarding soon, I would talk to a doctor or therapist. Find out what class of seperation, 1-4 if it's a 1 or 2, I thing you'll be fine, hit some light weights and stretch alot. You don't want to reinjure a seperated shoulder twice. There is a chance you could end your boarding all together. AC joints are not something to gamble with. Like I said, talk to a doctor, cause I'm not one. Good luck, hope you get to riding soon.
Old     (wakescene)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-01-2005, 12:07 AM Reply   
dusty,
I second what Rich G said.
Get a professional analysis first, then go from there. You still have time to fix things properly before the heavy riding season kicks in.

I torn my Bicepital tendon in my left arm in two places in the same summer...I was stubborn and ignored it and kept riding. MISTAKE! After the season ended I could really tell something was wrong. I did therapy 3x a week for 3 months. After that it felt great...and strong. I can now tell exactly when I have not excersized or stretched it and need to. I do have chronic pain in the gym jsut as Rich mentioned...but after the workout it always feels better.
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-01-2005, 10:02 AM Reply   
Shoulders suck. Tore the bicep tendon May before last, knew it was not working right, finished the season, damage was bad enough, they connected to the top of my humerus. Almost good as new, does require more warm up now.
Old     (davidbouvier)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-01-2005, 5:14 PM Reply   
i've had both shoulders surgically repaired in the last year and a half. no one mentioned the labrum. it's very easy to tear from an impact, such as landing on a shoulder or catching yourself in a fall with an out stretched arm. labrum will not repair itself, because their is too little blood flow in the shoulder. strengthening will make the shoulder feel better, but it will make you feel like you have arthritis, especially with heavy weight or reaching across your chest. i injured my shouldrs years ago doing other sports and they never fealt right. therapy made them feel ok. finally wakeboarding finished them off. 1.5 years later the first shoulder feels 100%. the other shoulder 3 months out from surgery feels 80%. you need to get that shoulder looked at. it's sucks just after surgery, and rehab, but way worth it in the long run.
Old    dusty            05-01-2005, 8:39 PM Reply   
thanks for the advice guys, i will go see my doctor this week!

i hate joints, they always seem to rain on my parade...
Old    dusty            05-01-2005, 8:45 PM Reply   
and by guys i mean girls too :-)