Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 30, 2008

Old     (lffreak)      Join Date: Jan 2008       06-10-2008, 5:33 PM Reply   
Is it possible to do a backroll behind a 18 foot outboard or am i just scared. How did all you guys learn it?
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-10-2008, 5:36 PM Reply   
i landed it (after 6 tries) behind a 98 air nautique (direct drive) w/ zero ballast, if that helps.
Old     (dppaneig)      Join Date: Feb 2008       06-10-2008, 5:51 PM Reply   
I did behind an 18 foot nitro (bass boat with tower) Keep trying
Old     (lffreak)      Join Date: Jan 2008       06-10-2008, 5:53 PM Reply   
How long did it take you? I can never seem to get enough air to complete the rotation.
Old     (hawk7)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-10-2008, 5:56 PM Reply   
It is possible to do a back mobe with no wake. the answer to your question is yes. I personally cannot do a backroll, but it is deffinately possible.
Old     (dppaneig)      Join Date: Feb 2008       06-10-2008, 5:57 PM Reply   
It took awhile but I was not edging right. I just rode behind a sea ray with a similar wake and hit it fine. Make sure you edge all the way through, then roll. When I did that I started hitting them. I rode 70' behind the sea ray and that was plenty. I hit it hard and didn't get much air.
Old     (monkey)      Join Date: Oct 2002       06-10-2008, 6:17 PM Reply   
17 foot bayliner sequence (has tower)
Upload
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-10-2008, 6:35 PM Reply   
I've done Tantrums and Backrolls off a jetski and a pontoon.
Old     (monkey)      Join Date: Oct 2002       06-10-2008, 6:43 PM Reply   
things that worked for me back when I rode behind a little boat:

I liked the shorter rope and slower speed because the upward angle of the rope added to the lift factor, and the wake seemed steeper and bigger closer to the boat at a slower speed (trimmed up a bit).

I liked to load up the line as much as possible right before release because it would give me that extra whip/pop factor.

I would look up over my left shoulder, stand tall as I left the wake, give the rope a little tug once airborne, and then tuck and roll to increase my spin rate.

I would let go of the rope with my rear hand once I felt like I had enough height and rotation to get around.

I learned by trying all of this at a very slow speed, to where I wouldn't hurt myself but knew I couldn't make it. People were very patient with me trying over and over again until I was comfortable, because it was my boat
Old     (bvanhemmen)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-10-2008, 7:38 PM Reply   
Back in the day, i learnt tantrum, backroll, backroll to revert, scarecrow, ts front, ts back and off axis 5's behind a 16 foot bass boat. it didn't have a tower but had a 3 foot tripod. my buddy learnt raley's behind the same boat. it can be done, it just depends if you wanna try or not.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-10-2008, 11:34 PM Reply   
I've done several behind one of aramark's rental boat's

18 footer boston whaler boat, no balast, 2 people in boat and only a ski pylon... not even a full pylon, and a first time boat driver with a season breaking wake run for me ;P BUT I had my slingshot recoil board to make up for the difference! and my way kool customized wakeworld jersey for luck and my custom fitted hand made helmet.

here is a vid even!... or later when i can get it loaded. both youtube and google are givin me fits now

remember the pros back in the early 90's? they did raileys and such with directional boards behind simple boats.
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       06-11-2008, 5:42 AM Reply   
Brett, how far "back in the day" could it have been at the ripe age of 23?
Old     (trickyboarder08)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-11-2008, 6:47 AM Reply   
it's possible I've done a backroll and a tantrum behind a jetski.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-11-2008, 8:45 AM Reply   
damn dude!

how's the boat?