Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 15, 2009

Old     (ldebbold)      Join Date: Jun 2006       02-05-2009, 4:37 PM Reply   
So it looks like a new boat is not happening for us. I've seen discussions from folks who have installed custom ballast with automated thru hull pumps but I KNOW I'm not that handy. We have been using fat sacs for the past couple of years and have gone thru a few pumps, sacs and a lot of stumbling around in the boat dealing with them. Does anyone know of a shop that will install a dash operated, plumbed system in an 05 Malibu 23 LSV.
Old     (blake_hughes)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Weatherford, Texas       02-05-2009, 4:52 PM Reply   
That's a fun project... I recommend you do it yourself! There's not much to it, after the thru-hull is installed.

If you're unsure about installing the thru-hull fitting(s)... Take it to your dealer. My buddy had one installed by the dealer, because he couldn't stomach the thought of him messing something up. From there we did the rest... And like I said, it's a fun project.

I've been considering taking on a similar project myself. I want to replace the factory hard tanks in my boat with larger low-profile tanks... More weight, still have storage (without concern of damaging bags), no clumsy bags!
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-05-2009, 5:02 PM Reply   
Call up Paul at Bakes Marine. They do these quite often and can get you everything you need.
Old     (my_malibu)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-05-2009, 5:25 PM Reply   
second nubu
just did this upgrade simple and easy install
Paul's the man
Old     (crowmobe540)      Join Date: Mar 2004       02-05-2009, 6:20 PM Reply   
Everyone is scared to drill holes the first time. It is a great rush. The thing is if you mess it up it can always be repaired. Just go for it man.
Old     (ldebbold)      Join Date: Jun 2006       02-08-2009, 10:24 AM Reply   
Thanks for the info. I've heard good things about Bakes. I guess I left out that I live an hour North of San Francisco. My dealer closed this fall, and there is a lot of consolidation of shops going on now. I really can't take this job on myself. I just work too many hours and the crew (my teenage boys and their friends) are enthusiastic but unskilled accomplices. Any Northern California dealers or mechanics have any experience with this upgrade?
Old     (sacmule)      Join Date: May 2007       02-08-2009, 12:50 PM Reply   
Les-
Try calling a couple of local boat dealers, nautique, mastercraft, etc, since Malibu is not currently in the area, and see who they recommend or if they can perform the work; they likely can. The repairs to gelcoat and fiberglass can be expensive depending on the damage. Standard wood drill bits are too aggressive and will destroy/ chip the gelcoat in the area if the hole. Drilling in reverse can eliminate this problem. I recommend having a local licensed shop with experience install the thru-hull fitting (at a minimum), a lot cheaper to do it right the first time.
Old     (michaelspsp)      Join Date: Sep 2007       02-08-2009, 1:25 PM Reply   
i had my shop do the install on my x-star. they did a very clean install.im handy and dont think i have the time or skills...tome it was worth it.
Old     (gwnkids)      Join Date: Nov 2003       02-08-2009, 10:46 PM Reply   
Les
I have an 07 but easy to do the hard part was finding the remote besel the had the 2 switches I added 750s to each locker for surfing 2 pumps per bag and works from the drain plug under the engine that I have never removed.
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (ldebbold)      Join Date: Jun 2006       02-09-2009, 9:54 AM Reply   
Bryan, that looks really sweet! Looks like a T fitting thru the drain under the V drive unit. The piping looks like flexible 1/2 inch or 3/4 plastic? What type of pumps do you use for it. You said two per bag, both reversible or one each? Where are the pumps and how do you keep it from leaking at the connection to the bag? Those always seem to leak on my launch pad bags.
Old     (davomaddo)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-09-2009, 10:14 AM Reply   
Good idea - tapping into the thru hull which is already there. No need to drill more holes.
Old     (spherren)      Join Date: Aug 2005       02-09-2009, 10:17 AM Reply   
OK, I have a question. I have 2 v-drive fat sacs but there are only 2 openings on the top. How does everyone set up these for auto ballast. There would be no way to drain them with a pump unless you install it in the top?
Old     (gwnkids)      Join Date: Nov 2003       02-09-2009, 7:42 PM Reply   
Les,
Its 1" tubing I used 1250 GPH pumps and they have the 1" discharge. You can see the 2 fill pumps but the 2 discharge pumps are right under the seat, also with the quick connects for easy bag removal to dry out the carpet or to use as storage for a long day trip. The switches are the 3 way and now point the right directions.

Scooter - these bags have 3 holes 1 ontop to fill, 1 on top to vent, 1 on the bottom end to drain. I just tee to the existing vent and drain holes with check valves.
Old     (spherren)      Join Date: Aug 2005       02-10-2009, 10:50 AM Reply   
Bryan, what type of ck valves do you use?
Old     (phenom_1819)      Join Date: Jan 2008       02-10-2009, 1:44 PM Reply   
I just finished a ballast install on my boat over the weekend... a Fly High integrated bow sack under the seats of my 2007 Supra 22 walkthrough (without the playpen). I liked the idea of pulling off a thru-hull that's already there, until I heard of people starving their intake and running up the thermostat. I didn't like the idea of that at all...

I had never done this before, had no idea what I was doing, but worked through it slowly... once I got my hands dirty, it took about 15 hours by myself. Having a buddy would have probably cut that in half, if not more.

I wanted to do it right, but my god was it expensive... I used a reversible Jabsco Ballast puppy pump, reinforced tubing, 3 check-valves, brass and real stainless-steel thru-hulls, and brass elbow and ball valve. Flipped the switch for the first time yesterday afternoon and everything worked. But it cost $550 before bags.

I would be very curious to know what a shop would have charged me... it would have been worth a lot to me. But that being said, the project was very easy once you get into it.

I dewinterize in 2 weeks... can't wait to try out 2200 lbs of plumbed ballast!!