Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 01, 2007

Old     (pconnor)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-09-2007, 9:00 AM Reply   
It's been 7 yrs since I last dug into this and now I'm looking at a new boat.

I've seen the 06 Malibu VLX and the 07 Tige 22ve and both seem very nice.

What are people's opinions on these boats specifically and these manufacturers?

Seems like Tige used to be a little lacking on the quality front, but I've noticed an improvement on their new boats.
Old     (rson)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-09-2007, 9:20 AM Reply   
How are the dealers in your area?

Construct of VLX is top notch and the wake is Excellent.
Old     (nickypoo)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-09-2007, 9:50 AM Reply   
If your concerned about Tige construction quality, don't. Tige's are built like tanks. You won't find a stronger boat.

The dealer is a huge part of the purchase. Drive both. Check out the wakes for all disciplines (ski, board, surf). Find some rough water. No, find some really rough water.

If I was pulling the trigger on one or the other right now, Tige hands down. Bu dudes will tell Bu, Tige guys will tell you Tige. I've been in, driven and ridden both and they are both nice. I feel Tiges are a stronger, better handling boat.

Just my $.02
Old     (cawakeboarder12)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-09-2007, 9:53 AM Reply   
VLX all the way
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-09-2007, 10:04 AM Reply   
If you're concerned with getting a good wake without sacking the crap out of your boat go with the VLX.
Old     (entrustclothing)      Join Date: Jul 2005       04-09-2007, 10:07 AM Reply   
as someone that has never ridden in either of them and just based on reputation and looks, malibu for sure!
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-09-2007, 10:13 AM Reply   
I'm a 2006 Tige 24Ve owner (see profile for pic of boat) and you will hear alot of people say this boat is best or that boat best. Just find out who the better dealer is and ask the right questions. Both of these boats are probably good but you will need to test drive them. (No, I don't sack my boat at all and get a very nice wake.)

(Message edited by dabell on April 09, 2007)
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-09-2007, 10:34 AM Reply   
Looked at the Tige's in 03, went with VLX and have not looked back, moving on to my 3rd VLX. Stock wake is great, throw some bodies, pure greatness, tap the power wedge, and it's up and out even for suck ass riders like me.
Old     (wakeboardaddy)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-11-2007, 3:58 PM Reply   
sweet tige, David, love that color combo. have you ever been to lake don pedro with that beauty. I cant wait to get mine. probably going with the RZ2. back to the subject, Paul I am a welder/fabricator, have owned malibu. when I build something for my customers, it's built to last, FOREVER. I've done a lot of research and Tige's construction is definately superior to malibu, not as much fancy fluff, but most of that is covering up poor construction design. grab malibu's seat bases push and pull on them, you'll see the difference. Tige has the lifetime REPLACEMENT warranty on their hull and laminated parts. no one else offers that. Good luck
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-11-2007, 4:15 PM Reply   
We have been to Rollins Lake towards Colfax, CA and Folsom Lake, CA for the most part. But, would like to try Lake Don Pedro sometime in the future. I hear you on the warranty on the Tige. It's the bomb!!!!!
Old     (jaxboarder)      Join Date: Dec 2001       04-11-2007, 5:58 PM Reply   
My parents owned a 2002 Tige 23v and I loved that boat. The ONLY problem I had with it was that the wake would wash out if the Taps wasn't set perfect for how much weight was in the boat. But from what I've seen, the new hull is much, much better. Their warranty is awesome. We had someone rip the Clarion 6 disc out of the glove box one night, broke a few hinges, and made a mess of stuff...Tige sent us a whole new glove box and a head unit for next to nothing, when it wasn't even a warranty claim. That is customer service.

On the other hand, the Malibu will throw a more consistent wake that can be incredible if you like that type of wake (I like a peaky wake like Tige), and the VLX has the bling factor...if you're into fashion of function.
Old     (nickypoo)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-12-2007, 9:51 AM Reply   
I'm with JL on this one, that's why I bought a Tige.
Malibu transom:
Upload

Tige transom:
Upload

Do the research, go to the dealers and poke around every nook and cranny you can get to. Tiges are beasts, Bu's are pretty. Actually, I like the Bu interiors the best of all new boats. Super comfy. Their lay outs are the chit. However, when push comes to shove and the seas are angry, put me in a Tige.
Old     (rson)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-12-2007, 10:05 AM Reply   
That is a misleading picture. The holes you are looking at are exhaust outlets and have no bearing on the structure of the boat.

Also the boats are created with 2 totally different methods of construction.

Malibu: 10-step ArmorCote gel coat process. It is then backed with an exclusive, pure vinyl ester barrier coat and 3 oz. skin coat prior to starting the complete hand laid fiberglass procedure.

Tige: Hand Laid Fiberglass and Resin over Gelcoat.

Marketing....all marketing.
Old     (kevin_lsv23)      Join Date: Oct 2006       04-12-2007, 10:56 AM Reply   
Both good. Just drive them both and buy the one YOU like better!!!!!
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-12-2007, 11:08 AM Reply   
Great point Kevin. I couldn't agree more.
Old     (nickypoo)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-12-2007, 11:11 AM Reply   
All right, I'm bailing out. I've seen where this thread goes from here and I'll be getting of at this stop. Sorry if I am responsible for starting a pissing match, not my intention.

Paul,

Go kick some tires and have fun with the whole process. After all, fun is what boats are all about. All I can do is urge you to look beyond the bling, and dig into the guts of the boat. You can bolt accessories onto anything.

Peace
Old     (jovedawake)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-12-2007, 11:27 AM Reply   
"Construct of VLX is top notch..."

^^^That's funny.

"The holes you are looking at are exhaust outlets and have no bearing on the structure of the boat."

^^^Tige's transform is obviously thicker than the Bu, but why does that matter when you can get shiny chrome?

(Message edited by jovedawake on April 12, 2007)
Old     (deltadave)      Join Date: Mar 2005       04-12-2007, 12:13 PM Reply   
Hey Paul. Where do you live? Both great boats. The Tige is built like a tank and has a great ride. JL where do you live? Do you board in the Delta?
Old     (brd4fun)      Join Date: May 2002       04-12-2007, 2:48 PM Reply   
I have owned fout Tige's and now I have a BU.
Drive both, figure out which dealer you feel more comfortable with and buy the Bu. haha

Does the Bu have the power wedge? (I love the Power Wedge)
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-12-2007, 3:15 PM Reply   
Mavy I figure someone who had the cash to live in/on Charlevoix would be brighter obviously not. See ya in 10-15 years.
Old     (slax303)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Portland to Boston       04-12-2007, 5:01 PM Reply   
So the rundown is this.. If you want to take your boat into the ocean and have a smooth ride, get a Tige.. but if you want one of the best wake boarding boats in the industry, get a vlx.. If you take your boat out into heavy chop a lot, go get yourself a cruiser.. The only thing I'm not partial to about the Bu is that they're a dime a dozen.. everybody's got one, but i guess theres a reason for that as well. Not to knock tige, but the malibu is just an overall better boat.. but thats why you pay more for it
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-12-2007, 5:27 PM Reply   
Sean, it really depends upon what you want to do with the boat. IMO, both boats put our wakes but the type of way they put the wake out is different. Sizes are different and the warranty is different. You should ask yourself what you want in a boat and then go find the answers to these questions. My Tige is great and I haven't had a problem since I have had it but that isn't saying that the other boats will have problems.

I would say you pay more for a name than anything else and educate yourself with knowing the differences between the boats before making the assumption that you did. Sorry, but it's my opinion.
Old     (djustice)      Join Date: Jan 2006       04-12-2007, 6:00 PM Reply   
Just curious, has anyone here ever had a boat fail structurally from normal use. I always read about how this boat is built better than that boat, but it seams that the only major problems people have are with engines, which are not produced by the manufacturer. I am not talking about something you read about or heard about, but problems that you have had.
Old     (tanner)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-12-2007, 8:12 PM Reply   
I know of one that began delaminating here locally. Another that developed stress cracks in the gelcoat EVERYWHERE! Both by the same brand.
Old     (rson)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-12-2007, 9:10 PM Reply   
The Camo LSV runs a constant 3000 pounds. It is over 1500 hours and no structural problems.
Old     (slax303)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Portland to Boston       04-12-2007, 10:55 PM Reply   
David, actually im very educated.. Yes the tige is a bit larger.. 6 inches longer, and what? 4 inches i think wider? so yeah it has a bit more room, but as far as warranty, they're very very similar. both have a lifetime hull warranty, the only differences are, tige will give you a whole new boat if theres a serious problem, malibu will fix the boat (theres more to the warranties but im just giving a general idea).. like i said before, im not saying tige is a bad boat, i looked at them before getting an MB.. But it is the cheaper boat for a reason, not because of malibu's name.. theres nothing wrong with getting a tahoe over a hummer (a real hummer, H1).. it has its advantages, but at the end of the day, theres a reason that the Hummer is more expensive (and its not the name).. man, i never thought i would be defending malibu on wakeworld
Old     (yearroundboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2007       04-13-2007, 12:05 AM Reply   
I own a 2006 Tige' My job provides me the opportunity to see the construction methods of many builders. The reality is both Malibu and Tige build very good products. I am sure if you look too close at anything, you can find fault. I love my Tige', but would seriously consider going with Malibu for my next one. It all depends on what each builder comes up with next and what I happen to be looking for in a boat at the time. If you are looking for factors to push you one way or another, look just as close at the dealer as you do the actual boat.
Old     (slax303)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Portland to Boston       04-13-2007, 12:17 AM Reply   
definitely agree with brad... a good dealer makes a world of difference.. a bad dealer can be one monstrous headache
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-13-2007, 6:26 AM Reply   
Sean said: "man, i never thought i would be defending malibu on wakeworld"

It's all good Sean.... No worries.
Old     (bazel)      Join Date: Oct 2001       04-13-2007, 6:58 AM Reply   
We did not end up going with either bc I was not impressed with the Bu dealer in the area and I think they are a bit overpriced. The Tige dealer seemed OK but at the boat show all of the tiges had messed up vinyl. The factory rep said it was not common and would be fixed on the boat but they were all messed up where the vinyl was crunched up and looked horrible. I also found there pricing seemed high as well. This is jus my opinion but for me the dealer support and value was not there. I would hope that the interior vinyl quality was a one of issue bc that really turned me off of them.
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       04-13-2007, 7:38 AM Reply   
Paul, the reality of threads like this are each brand owner will defend and substansiate why Malibu or Tigé is better. It will eventually turn in to 90 page reply of a pissing match.

The best thing to do is demo each boat because both boats are top notch. I own an 07 RZ2 and I like being the only Tigé among the 7-8 Malibus on the lake. :-) If you have any questions on the Tigé post over on www.tigeowners.com
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-13-2007, 7:49 AM Reply   
Sean S: And just think, now you get the most technological hull Tige has to offer. That is why I bought mine!