Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (andrewjet)      Join Date: Jan 2003       08-09-2011, 3:42 PM Reply   
Hey guys. I know there is a BIG thread on here about the led testing, but I have read so much about all of them is I cant make a decision. Who makes a decent pair of led's (Red) for under $300?? I only need it to light up about 10' to match the interior and for the coolness factor because you cant surf behind my boat. What did you buy? How much? And how bright?? Thanks Jet
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-09-2011, 4:03 PM Reply   
Regardless of brand I am not a fan of how the 'red' bandwidth transmits underwater. Its okay close to the surface when underway and illuminating the wash behind the boat. But thats about it as compared to white, blue and green underwater lights. We sell them but its something you should be aware of in advance.
We carry ShadowCasters, Abyss, Mako and Malibu OEM underwater lights. ShadowCasters and Abyss are the best of what we carry. And they happen to have larger offerings.
Spes are decieving because they are generally unqualified and very inconsistent from brand to brand. All underwater LED lights are high efficiency and similar in this respect. You can get a better idea of brightness by the amperage the fixtures pull.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       08-10-2011, 7:10 AM Reply   
IMO if you have red interior LEDs and are wanting to do underwaters, check out this thread.

http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=716011

Grant did 3 Shadow Casters (which is way over-kill for the normal person, but just looks awesome) in blue. Some of the pics he shows are with his in boat LEDs red and personally, i think it looks awesome. a lot better than red would anyway.

The Shadow Casters are not cheap (~$500 each) and if you are on a budget, i would suggest looking elsewhere. i have two Lumitec Sea Blaze 3's in green on my boat, they were like $210 each and im very happy with the light output. i can see the whole wave surfing at night, and get about a 15-20' halo in pretty dirty water. the cleaner the water the further the light will project..
Old     (V237TX_Nate)      Join Date: Jun 2011       08-10-2011, 11:07 AM Reply   
I am going to add these this winter. I looked at alot of different lights and I think these are a good deal.
http://www.rebel-designs.com/products.html
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-10-2011, 12:45 PM Reply   
Someone posted this link in another thread and they look pretty cool: http://www.theliquidlite.com/
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-10-2011, 12:56 PM Reply   
Don't get too caught up in the number of LEDs per dollar. That may not have anything to do with the actual brightness and effectiveness. There are underwater fixtures with 4 LEDs that are brighter than others with 12 LEDs. And there can be a huge difference in construction quality. Everyone is joining the party now...many are unproven and many are not suitable for experienced installers. Some are simply designed for internet sales appeal.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (sailing216)      Join Date: Oct 2007       08-11-2011, 6:45 AM Reply   
Listen to what David has said. It's true, do not go by specs. I too have a Red interior boat but went with Blue Lumitec underwater and have been very happy for my wants. If you are running in dirty water, you'll be pissed the degraded penetration of Red compared to a boat next to you with blue or white.
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       08-11-2011, 6:57 AM Reply   
these are my 2 Lumitec's. sorry for iphone pics.. they aren't the best, but you get the idea. it was still somewhat light outside and the water is pretty dirty, so this is what i consider "minimal light output" for these. like i said, the cleaner the water the further they project.
Attached Images

Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       08-11-2011, 7:46 AM Reply   
I've read these are one of the best output per dollar LED's

http://www.coastalnightlights.com/