Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (GoBeavs85)      Join Date: Jul 2015       03-13-2018, 9:27 PM Reply   
I had a dealer tell me today that the boats with a convertible rear bench seat rarely get used in the “rider watching” position. He claimed people use that feature once or twice and then kind of give up on it. He mentioned this while showing me a boat that did have it so I don’t think we was trying to make an excuse for a feature he didn’t have.

What has been your experience? Do you love flipping that seat around to watch the rider or would you prefer to have that under seat storage of a fixed bench?
Old     (Smoothie)      Join Date: Feb 2018       03-14-2018, 3:02 AM Reply   
Cool concept, but never use my Buddy's. There are enough seats where you can see the rider, and we aren't judging him or assigning points for trucks, so we don't need to be that diligent.
Old     (Mike88)      Join Date: Aug 2016       03-14-2018, 4:41 AM Reply   
I like the concept too. It’s kind of «*the new thing*».
When I bought my 2017 I wished it have the option but it doesn’t (I bought an end season deal).
Perhaps I have 2 side rear view seats and I definitely prefer that over the convertible rear bench.
Neighbor friend have the bench option in his Moomba craz and loved that option. I found it a great pos and use it pretty much all the time. His little kids love it.
That’s why I wanted one in mine. But after using it the side option are much more comfortable and pleasant. Kids would definitely prefer the bench tho.

It’s really a personal preference.
Some rear view option is a great plus but not a necessity, really depends if the option price worth it.

Here’s my rear view setup :
Starboard side have a complete removable cushion and port side is the seat that locks open to create the same.
Attached Images

Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       03-14-2018, 5:38 AM Reply   
It was a option on our new boat and we passed on it. The idea is cool but it does not work for how we use our boat. In my opinion it chops up interior space and makes a 23' boat feel small and isolates the driver .
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       03-14-2018, 7:19 AM Reply   
I've been a Malibu guy for a long time, worked with the local dealer on tons of demos and shown the rear facing seats a lot. The rear facing seats only work in the biggest boats, IMO. Anything smaller than a 24-25ft boat and it gets crowded fast. They are a lot of fun for party time surf sessions, but in general you are crowding too much weight toward the rear considering people are already sitting on the back seats and sun-deck.

I don't order it on my boats because I won't use it, but I might on my next one because everyone thinks they want it. So I assume there are some fans of it out there.
Old     (YYCBoarder)      Join Date: Apr 2013       03-14-2018, 7:35 AM Reply   
I find it depends on how many people we have on board. When there are only 4 or 5 of us we don't use it much but if we have more we use it all the time. There is a bit of climbing over seats but it beats having a cramped neck. I'd never buy another boat without it.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       03-14-2018, 10:31 AM Reply   
I bought he Axis with the rear facing seat and we used it every time out. We typically rode with 4 people (wakeboarding only) and found it much more comfortable for watching the rider, and especially for filming and taking photos. In the Axis, the pull out seat does not have a back rest, so stepping over the pull-out seat isn't an issue. If you roll with a lot of people it would certainly take up space.
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       03-14-2018, 12:50 PM Reply   
Yep, it chops up the interior. But we use the heck out of it in both my buddies axis and in my g21. It allows people to not have to crane their neck sideways. Which is very nice. And invariably we have one guy in the middle of the rear facing seating and he can scoot or lean right or left to clean up the wake.

It very much depends on how many people you have in the boat, where you sit people, and how much of a clean wake diva your rider is.
Old     (onlyinboards)      Join Date: Oct 2014       03-14-2018, 1:02 PM Reply   
I've had it on multiple boats and haven't used it one time.
Old     (dakota4ce)      Join Date: Oct 2015       03-14-2018, 1:12 PM Reply   
Have never used. Too difficult to climb over/around for us.
Old     (kmayotte)      Join Date: Aug 2010       03-14-2018, 1:29 PM Reply   
Have it on our G23. Use it all the time. Yes it makes moving from the front to the back more difficult. But that's only during rider changes. Underway it's awesome.
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       03-16-2018, 12:27 AM Reply   
We have it on our X30 and use it all he time for wakeboarding. I think it’s a feature that is better or more useful for watching wakeboarding than surfing.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       03-16-2018, 3:31 AM Reply   
You won’t get under seat storage really, that’s where the vdrive sits.

Better To have it and not use it.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       03-16-2018, 2:02 PM Reply   
We use it ALL THE TIME.
Also much easier to balance the boat (left/right) when you have someone sitting there.

Everyone on my boat is Rear facing, except the driver.
Attached Images

Last edited by migs; 03-16-2018 at 2:07 PM.