Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       01-30-2010, 3:51 PM Reply   
I've read all the tint posts. It seems like everyone loves it when it done. It also seems like people are split between the 20% and 35%.

So here's what I need to know.

Does anyone wish they hadn't gotten the tint done?

Does anyone with 20% wish they would've gone with the 35%?

Does anyone with 35% wish they would've gone with 20%.

I've never seen it in person, so I really don't know which tint to go with.

Thanks, Joe
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       01-30-2010, 5:20 PM Reply   
I'm in the same situation as you Joe. David from Earmark Marine made a good point that most of us don't think about when deciding on tint. Most of us associate the dark tint with how dark it looks on cars/trucks. However, the closed interior of the car also adds to perceived darkness of the tint. In boats we don't have enclosed interior so the darkest car tint is not that dark on a boat, plus we only see one layer of the tint whereas in a car you get the effect of seeing two windows (the side you're seeing and then the opposite side of the car) which kinda combine the darkness. I don't boat at night so that's not an issue either. The lake I use is very large and not too crowded with boats either because there is a safety issue with tint.
Old     (davez71)      Join Date: Oct 2007       01-30-2010, 5:44 PM Reply   
Joe,

I was stuck in your position for a while before I finally got mine done. I went with 20% cause on a boat its not as dark as you think. To be honest I kinda wish I would have went darker sometimes but the 20% is great. Another good thing about 20% is that to me you can still see through it in the even time. I would recommend it to any one. It is by far the thing I have ever put on my boat.

Upload
Upload
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       01-30-2010, 5:49 PM Reply   
Nice pics, thanks David
Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       01-30-2010, 6:13 PM Reply   
I have 35% and wish I had 20%
Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       01-31-2010, 11:04 AM Reply   
I just had my windows tinted with 35% last month. First recommendation, make sure you find someone that can actually do boat windows. Boat windows are very difficult and require a skilled tinter. It took three different tinters to finally find someone that could do it to my standards. I have no light gaps, fingers or bubbles in my windows. The shop that ended up doing it last removed the windows from the frames and they turned out perfect. I would highly recommend at minimum remove the windows from your boat.

The first tinter put 20% on my boat and it was a little dark for me, The pictures attached are 35%. The 35% has a little better visibility looking outward, we do a lot of early morning and late evening skiing. If you are in the Sacramento area, ACME Stereo and Upholstry is where I had it done, Ben will take care of you. They do a great job and have excellent customer service... I highly recommend them. If you have any questions drop me a line.
Upload
Upload
Upload

(Message edited by fman on January 31, 2010)
Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       01-31-2010, 7:12 PM Reply   
Travis that looks sweet. I do think the 35% has
a little more classy look to it.
Old                01-31-2010, 7:44 PM Reply   
+1 for the 35%
Old     (elc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       01-31-2010, 7:45 PM Reply   
I have 20% on my boat now. The day I buy my next boat I will put 20% on it again.
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       02-01-2010, 6:31 AM Reply   
Thanks guys, I'm really leaning towards the 35%. Now I just need to find a good installer.
Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-01-2010, 9:29 AM Reply   
20% here and wouldn't change a thing.

Upload
Old     (wakedoctor)      Join Date: Dec 2004       02-01-2010, 11:23 AM Reply   
My biggest factor was driving at night. Therefore, I went with 35%.
Old     (davez71)      Join Date: Oct 2007       02-01-2010, 4:21 PM Reply   
Lets see some pics
Old     (calexan)      Join Date: Dec 2008       02-01-2010, 10:34 PM Reply   
Add me to the 20%er list.... Wouldnt change it if I could!

Upload
Old     (rwb_xstar)      Join Date: Nov 2008       02-03-2010, 11:11 AM Reply   
I have been debating doing mine...not to hijack this thread, but what is everyones option and is anyone good at photoshop to give me a feel for how it may look now that I'm going to keep it for another season or more:

Boat Pics here:
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/8/741370.html?1265003964
Old     (jmuck)      Join Date: Jan 2010       02-04-2010, 12:47 PM Reply   
I have limo(5%) on mine and love it.

Upload
Old     (soundbox)      Join Date: Oct 2007       02-06-2010, 10:41 AM Reply   
Here are pics of Travis's windows before and after. One of the previous tinters trimmed the rubber gasket to much so the only option was to remove the glass from the frame to have the least amount of light gap.

This is 35%

Upload
Upload

This is also 35%

Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       02-06-2010, 3:36 PM Reply   
Is it a big deal to remove the windows?
Old     (soundbox)      Join Date: Oct 2007       02-06-2010, 4:03 PM Reply   
More time than difficulty. The Supra frame has 4 rivets that need to be drilled out to remove the glass. Most are just screws.
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       02-06-2010, 5:42 PM Reply   
So what does it cost to it this way Ben? Just curious.
Old     (dan_lorenze)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-09-2010, 8:49 AM Reply   
I have an excellent tinter that quoted me $400 for the job. He tells me that it's a difficult job because of the wrap around pieces are hard to get perfect. I'm tempted to do it myself.. Has anyone done the job themselves?
Old     (texasmoombav)      Join Date: May 2009       03-09-2010, 9:33 AM Reply   
Thanks for the pics guys. I have ben on the fence also. Those pics helped alot. I am gonna go with 20%
Old     (wade_lewark)      Join Date: Jan 2010       03-19-2010, 4:43 PM Reply   
Bummed,
The tint guy showed up at my house to tint the new boat, but the 20% he had was not tall enough, arghh! I guess the Axis' have tall windows? He had 35% that was tall enough, but I figured after all of the comments in this thread, I would go with 20%. So, he will return next week to get it done, after he gets more stock on the 40" - 20% film. I think the darker tint will look better on the boats colors. I will post a pic once it is completed.

before tint:

Old     (elc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       03-19-2010, 4:49 PM Reply   
Hey Wade - Here is a pic of my boat with 20% for your reference. It actually appears a little darker in the pic then it does in person. IMO you made a good choice!

Old     (wade_lewark)      Join Date: Jan 2010       03-19-2010, 8:32 PM Reply   
kool Ed, thanx for the pic. Looks good and dark, cant wait!
Old     (calexan)      Join Date: Dec 2008       03-19-2010, 10:15 PM Reply   
Yea I'm ready to see some pics...... Good Luck!
Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       03-19-2010, 10:22 PM Reply   
Be careful with mobile tinters, I had terrible results from the guy that did mine, there was dust particles all over the window. The shop that did a great job has a special "clean" room with no dust particles. Just something to think about.

BTW, Your Axis 22 is a great looking boat, have yet to see one on the lakes around here in Nor-cal but I am sure it will happen sooner than later. Its going to look great with the windows tinted.
Old     (scottnaz)      Join Date: Feb 2008       03-20-2010, 3:23 PM Reply   
I pulled my windshields off this morning, pretty quick and painless job on my Supra.
Dropped them off @ tint guy #1, and after 2 hours, he gave up.
Getting ready to call tint guy #2 for scheduling.
And searching for tint guy #3, just in case.

If I end up having to pull the glass from the frames, do I need to wait a few days before reassembly?

Crazy thing is I left messages with probably 10 window tint companies in PHX, some of which advertised boat tinting, and have only gotten return calls from 2. I just may have to drive out to Sac Town.
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       03-21-2010, 6:38 AM Reply   
Scott, I'm pulling the windows from the frames today on my Supra. I know a guy that owns a tint shop and he said that's the best way. Not sure about how long you have to wait, but he said to pull the seal and put it on the window, then install it into the frame after you lube it up with some soapy water. Awesome thing about the guy I'm using is he backs his work with a lifetime warranty. That's confidence in your work.
Old     (scottnaz)      Join Date: Feb 2008       03-21-2010, 8:52 AM Reply   
Randy, please let me know how difficult it is to remove the glass from the frames. I took a look at it last night, and doesn't seem too bad. A few rivets, some silicone to loosen, and a little gentle strength should get the frames apart and the glass out?

General question - how much of the warranty/guarantee comes from the tint manufacture, and not necessarily the tint guy? Tint guy #2, that I'm scheduled to see tomorrow, says he has a lifetime warranty on limo tint, but only 2 year on the 20% film. I don't want limo, and am a little reluctant to go with this guy and only a 2 year warranty on 20%.
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       03-21-2010, 9:07 AM Reply   
Will do Scott. Not sure if he warranties his work only for life or the tint also. I told him I was going with 20%. I should be dropping them off tomorrow, so I'll ask and let you know.
Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       03-21-2010, 2:04 PM Reply   
according to PCMW who makes the Supra windshields....

Be careful removing the frames, if you bend or put to much pressure on that glass it can shatter into pieces. Use a rubber mallot and a block of wood to gently break the frames from the glass. I would not bother removing the end cap piece, its not necessary and very difficult to get back on.

To re-install the windows use a soapy solution to get the glass to slide back into the window frame. Just be careful and take your time. Rivets you will need are #66 stainless, 2 1/8" long.
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       03-21-2010, 6:20 PM Reply   
Finished pulling the windshield a little while ago. More of a job than I thought. I don't understand the one nut on each side of the lower frame and the rivets instead of screws. The seal on the upper an lower frame separated fairly easy considering the boat is 4 years old and been baking in the sun. However, the end braces, the dividing brace by the wing window and the sides of the walkthru window were a royal pain in the a$$. It was more like 2 sided tape than a seal. That took some serious work and careful manipulation so the window didn't shatter. I'm going to talk to my tint buddy tomorrow to find out what he recommends to replace the tape seal. I do have the glass totally removed from the frame. It will be modified so it is not a hassle in the event that it needs to be removed again.
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       03-24-2010, 8:07 AM Reply   
Travis do you know of anyone that sells the glass seals other than PCMW? The smaller seals were baked and are completely destroyed. Also, can't you just substitute the stainless rivets with stainless screws like what is used for the rest of the windshield?
Old     (sammm724centurion)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-24-2010, 8:43 AM Reply   
20%er club and luvin it! I would go with the limo tint if I had an all black boat.
Attached Images

Old     (wade_lewark)      Join Date: Jan 2010       03-24-2010, 7:41 PM Reply   
just joined the 20% club!
turned out great... will post some better pix, once we hit the water-

Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       03-24-2010, 8:46 PM Reply   
Wade, Thats a great looking Axis!
I just left the 30%er club and joined the 20. The 30% tint from last year was starting to peel so I made them re-do and having them put on 20%. Will post pics when I get the glass back.
Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       03-24-2010, 11:23 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudeman View Post
Travis do you know of anyone that sells the glass seals other than PCMW? The smaller seals were baked and are completely destroyed. Also, can't you just substitute the stainless rivets with stainless screws like what is used for the rest of the windshield?
Dont know about the seals, possibly your dealer??? but I think PCMW would be your best bet... I have called them before and they are very easy to deal with. As far as the screws, you probably could do it, but the rivets in my opinion look so much cleaner. PCMW will send you some rivets if you give them a call, thats where I got mine from.
Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       03-24-2010, 11:29 PM Reply   
I went to a nut and bolt supplier for the ss pop rivets. They were $5 for 50.
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       03-25-2010, 8:03 AM Reply   
Just got a call back from PCMW and I can get the gaskets. Downside is they said it cost $60 to ship UPS to NC from BC. Man, that's a huge shipping cost for gaskets.
Old     (sammm724centurion)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-25-2010, 9:22 AM Reply   
WADE
What length is your boat? Does it take up the entire 3 car garage? I used to have to manuever my boat into my two car garage like you, the first few times it took about twenty minutes with at least ten back and forths until I got it right. Then I finally duct taped my garage floor around the tires when it was in the garage and after that I just backed it in and out with no problems. Just a suggestion, dont know if you needed it or not?
Old     (norcalmalibu)      Join Date: Jun 2004       03-25-2010, 9:35 AM Reply   
the 20% looks a little to dark for my taste..most of my ride time is at sunset on the delta which is log city! 35% looks to be the ticket or a little lighter?
Old     (wade_lewark)      Join Date: Jan 2010       03-25-2010, 9:50 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammm724centurion View Post
WADE
What length is your boat? Does it take up the entire 3 car garage? I used to have to manuever my boat into my two car garage like you, the first few times it took about twenty minutes with at least ten back and forths until I got it right. Then I finally duct taped my garage floor around the tires when it was in the garage and after that I just backed it in and out with no problems. Just a suggestion, dont know if you needed it or not?

The Axis is 22', (25' including the swim platform) it only takes up 2 bays diagonaly in the garage, my wife would kill me if she had to park her Audi outside! I knew when we got this boat, that it would not fit straight into the 3rd bay, as our Regal did before, so I have to park my Tahoe outside, in order to get the boat and Audi into the garage. YES, getting it into the garage the first time was a bitch! Also took about 10-12 jockey's back/forth to get it in. But now have done it enough to just back it in with Tahoe most of the way, then unhook and push straight back. I can jack knife it it pretty good, so it's just a straight shot back. No marks on the floor, just know by clearance of garage door, when it's back far enough... Now I want a 4 car garage!!!
Old     (viking)      Join Date: Sep 2009       11-11-2010, 8:11 PM Reply   
anybody use colored tint? thinking about going with a red tint and it's about 20%. buddy is a professional installer so he'll be doing it. i just have to decide what I want.