Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through January 18, 2008

Old     (deltariderscom)      Join Date: May 2007       11-27-2007, 9:36 PM Reply   
I just recently had one of the proto-type speed volume control units installed in our boat. I have to say it is the most valuable part of the stereo system. The no brain operation is way to convenient and I had no idea on how much I would like the fact that I don't have to worry about turning the stereo up or down while towing riders. One of the biggest features I think the public will find is the safety factor it brings to wakeboarding. How much more I am able to pay attention to the rider and surroundings when I don't have to worry about turning the stereo down. No more worry about forgetting to turn it back up when I pull a rider back up.
Yeah I could reach for a mute button when and if the stereo has one (mine does) but now I don't have to think about it. Before I am fully powered down the stereo volume is cut and back on when the rider is getting up to speed.
The final version will be available to the public soon and will be debuted at the P-Town boat show. I won't have a system without it in the future. If nothing less check it out.
Here is a picture of what the final product will most likely look like.

Upload

check out the best tower speakers on the market also at www.hsetrident.com
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-27-2007, 9:50 PM Reply   
Good to see it coming alog. Congrats to Jimbo for making a dream come true.
Old     (_jason_)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-27-2007, 9:59 PM Reply   
Thats great. Thanks Jim! I know ill have to get one in my boat for sure! Ill be spreading the word. Great Work.
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-28-2007, 5:51 AM Reply   
Price?
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       11-28-2007, 6:04 AM Reply   
Nice work Jim, send us up a couple of stickers when you get time, well spread the love up north.
Old     (gdog)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-28-2007, 8:52 AM Reply   
The volume speed control is a must have feature for every stereo. I've driven and rode behind Jim's (HSE) boat with the "early" version of the volume control and it makes boat driving a breeze. I don't know a person that doesn't turn down the stereo when picking up a rider. With the volume control no need to mess with the volume just "crank" it up let the volume control do the rest!!!
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-28-2007, 9:02 AM Reply   
holy cow gdog is alive.

(Message edited by twakess on November 28, 2007)
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-28-2007, 9:17 AM Reply   
so how long till these hit the streets?
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       11-28-2007, 9:20 AM Reply   
I had a taste of the early moldel too, when it was just a bunch of electronics stuffed into a plastic, tuperware-like box.

Definitely looking legit now! Congrats Jim. Go make millions!
Old     (cheeseman)      Join Date: Oct 2005       11-28-2007, 11:35 AM Reply   
Jim is the man. He is brilliant and can do one mean raley. Good luck Jim!
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-28-2007, 4:48 PM Reply   
I agree on this bad boy. I had the pleasure of riding with Jim a bunch early in the season and I can't imagine a boat without it in the future.
Old     (joe_crawley)      Join Date: Jan 2007       11-28-2007, 4:52 PM Reply   
How do you tap into the tach or throttle? Is it mechanical or does it measure RPMS.

Good idea, by the way! I have something similar in my boat I made last year that uses a mechanical switch when the throttle engages, it would be tough for me to imagine my boat without it now, especially when I'm not driving it.
Old     (wakeprodigy)      Join Date: Oct 2002       11-28-2007, 6:04 PM Reply   
gangstar

This device uses only electrical sensors. So to answer your question, it measures RPMs and is fully adjustable on the fly to any RPM level for any engine with a tach signal.
Old     (ccryder)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-29-2007, 8:06 AM Reply   
The Evolution of the Revolution:
Thanks for the positive feedback and here's some pics of the volume control from J-Rods comment to the production unit.

A MECHANICAL ENGINEERS FIRST ATTEMPT, JUNE 2004
Upload

MORE COMPONENTS, MORE FEATURES, JULY 2004

Upload

RADIO SHACK ASTHETIC IMPROVEMENTS, DECEMBER 2004.

Upload

The above picture was posted about a year an a half ago looking for some electrical engineering help. WakeWorld once again came through as a resource and I hooked up with Tom Simpson from Dallas. We discussed the project in May of 2006 and he made the trek to Cali in October with his first attempt the EE way.

MICROPROCESSOR CONTROLLED AND SIGNAL GENERATOR FOR BENCH TESTING

Upload

We spent the day boarding and changing the code on the microprocessor fine tuning the operation and decided to proceed to develop a product and work as a team. The next generation which is currently being tested in four boats with hundreds of hours of flawless operation.

Upload

The production unit with more options and on the fly adjustments.

Upload

Features:
Two inputs with line driver capability for each input. Mode selection between either Main-(stereo head unit) or Aux-(Ipod or MP3 player) input. Programming switch for RPM set point and variable attentuation level.

We are planning on displaying at some boat shows with a simulator to demonstrate the operation without having to be in the boat. The feedback from the boat shows will determine our first production run quantities and we plan to have units available prior to May of 2008. Pricing to be released at the boat shows.
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-29-2007, 8:30 AM Reply   
jim thats sick. hello $$$$$$$$$$$$. i'm sure once this gets into the hands of the right ppl that this will eventually become standard equipment in wakeboats...awesome idea. i hope it all works out for you.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-29-2007, 8:49 AM Reply   
Jim, looks great! My main question is for those who are running a bunch of amps. How do all the inputs and outputs work? Typically I think most are running three pre-outs from the deck, it looks like there are only two sets of RCA's and out and an in?

I am sure you have this figured out, but I am just curious. Thanks.
Old     (ccryder)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-29-2007, 9:01 AM Reply   
Matt,
Thanks for the comment... Most multiple amp systems have an EQ so this would be installed between the head unit and EQ, or an EQ can be added. On my first system, I had the amps daisy chained which worked for that system. Other methods are also under development.
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-29-2007, 9:05 AM Reply   
Jim it was fun watching it all come together.
Old     (drewsy)      Join Date: Mar 2003       11-29-2007, 9:15 AM Reply   
Congrats Jim, I can't wait to get one.
Old     (load)      Join Date: Jul 2003       11-29-2007, 9:30 AM Reply   
Jim that is great, congratulations!

Now I just have to tell the wife
Old     (deltawake)      Join Date: Sep 2004       11-29-2007, 11:34 AM Reply   
We have the prototype in our boat. I don't know why anybody would put a stereo in their boat without one of these. It's a must have in my book. Way to go Jim. We're hoping for great things for you.
Old     (ccryder)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-29-2007, 1:07 PM Reply   
HSE is looking for some artistic marketing help. If you are creative at cartooning or comic type art, I am interested in using a comic strip type description in a tri fold brochure. The comic strip would either take up 1/3 or 2/3's of a page of the flyer. The idea is to have a rated G comic that shows and describes the HSE Revolution Volume Control working in a boating/wakeboarding setting. Whether male or female, eight or eighty years old, once they look at the comic, they know what the device does. The flyer will have general information, but this is to catch their attention and educate the person without having to read a half page of text. If your artwork is used, you will receive a FREE HSE Revolution Volume Control when available. You may submit the images either via email to sales@hsetrident.com or by fax to (209) 238-9052. If emailing please have as a jpeg or bmp format. The deadline is December 5th 2007.

Thanks for the help and looking forward to peoples creative ideas. If submitted artwork is used, it will also be posted to inform the entrant and let other WW people check it out.
Old     (audiopro74)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-30-2007, 3:00 PM Reply   
good to see this thing coming along so well . It has been great watching it grow.
Old     (2007_x2)      Join Date: May 2007       12-03-2007, 9:28 PM Reply   
hey jim, i have a few ideas to run past u for the comic strip! i cant wait to get one in my boat!
Old     (2007_x2)      Join Date: May 2007       12-03-2007, 9:29 PM Reply   
What are other peoples slogans? lets hear them guys!
Old     (2007_x2)      Join Date: May 2007       12-03-2007, 9:36 PM Reply   
heres one of mine "Accelerate your amp"
Old     (robert_t)      Join Date: Feb 2005       12-03-2007, 10:13 PM Reply   
Good job Jim.
Old     (deltarat)      Join Date: Mar 2007       12-03-2007, 10:47 PM Reply   
what a great idea. i can see a day when this is a standard item on boat stereo systems.
Old     (ccwhite)      Join Date: Jul 2004       12-04-2007, 9:30 AM Reply   
...when is it for sale?
Old     (2007_x2)      Join Date: May 2007       12-04-2007, 9:43 AM Reply   
get one free Chris look here:http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/1/524365.html?1196787504
Old     (brick)      Join Date: Nov 2003       12-05-2007, 9:06 AM Reply   
Nice job Jim. I got to experience the volume control this last weekend. I was really impressed the function and ease of operation!
Old     (bflat53212)      Join Date: Mar 2003       12-05-2007, 9:57 AM Reply   
Not putting anything down, because this is very cool, but hasn't this already been done? This is already in car stero's for when you pull up to a stop sign with your windows down. I must be wrong, but I guess I thought this already existed.

Good work, it's definitely a necessity in my eyes.
Old     (ccwhite)      Join Date: Jul 2004       12-05-2007, 10:08 AM Reply   
Mike - I saw that but I am not an artist so it won't be going into my hot little hands.

As for when it will be for sale I realize I must have been blind not to see the 'Coming Spring 2008' on the picture above.. duh.

Will it work with a standard boat (read, no amp or uber speakers) stereo?
Old     (joe_crawley)      Join Date: Jan 2007       12-06-2007, 6:21 AM Reply   
Skubz- Who cares if its been done, nobody offers it commercially for boats as a stand alone unit right now as far as I can tell?

Great idea guys

Chris- you will need an amp though