Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 04, 2006

Old     (sdmarty)      Join Date: Feb 2006       07-07-2006, 2:14 PM Reply   
So here is the deal. I wakeboarded for 9 years before selling boat and moving to San Diego.(90-99) (surfing ever since)Recently, I have been gettting back into wakeboarding and I have tried a couple newer wakeboards and I am not diggin them. My board is an older double-up Nelson. I love it due to its smooth feel, great pop, soft landings and NO DRAG!!! I make look like a barney carring it to the boat but not ripping it! haha I have ridden a Hyperlite premier and some other board and they feel like there is some sort of drag and is very slow.... what is up with all the crap on the bottom of these boards now days? channels, built in fins etc... Has anyone ever heard about less is more? Do any of you have some suggestions on current boards that are fast and have no drag?
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-07-2006, 2:43 PM Reply   
Look at the Krown shapes. Their Elite shapes are very quick. They have two detachable fins on each end but other than that the bottom features are relatively mild. Most people like the slower more poppy shapes of the day, more up than out. Even Nelson designed a multiple finned board...
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-07-2006, 2:57 PM Reply   
You're going to laugh, but try a CWB Sol out. It's an older Absolute shape ('02). It's really loose without the center fins and super fast. I liked it with the .5 Absolute fins. It's a total rocket. I got onto that thing after riding the '05 Absolute for most of the season and was amazed by the lack of drag.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       07-07-2006, 3:02 PM Reply   
More rocker = More drag slower in speed. The boards of today have more rocker in them. Not as fast but bigger pop and softer landings.
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-07-2006, 3:20 PM Reply   
take a look at the HL Drive. Might be what you're looking for.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       07-07-2006, 3:48 PM Reply   
if you like the board you're on, don't change.
Old     (lakeguy77)      Join Date: May 2002       07-07-2006, 9:25 PM Reply   
One thing about the Premier, it's got a 3-stage rocker which will be slower in the water. I tested out the original Premier a few years ago and hated how it didn't like to accelerate on edge...it just felt slow in the water. Gave lots of kick off the wake, but it was a straight-up kind of pop, no distance. Look for something with a continuous rocker. I just picked up a used 03 Hyperlite TFD that has a continuous rocker, with a bit of a 3-stage style "kink" on each end that's supposed to provide more 3-stage-style pop with continuous-rocker speed. The newest version of that board is the 3DS, might be worth a look.
Old     (madchild1)      Join Date: Mar 2005       07-09-2006, 3:55 PM Reply   
try a 3ds or a jstar rusty. continuous rocker, soft landings, and fast.
Old     (sdmarty)      Join Date: Feb 2006       07-10-2006, 6:00 PM Reply   
3ds? man I used to know all the current boards but I have been a cave for awhile surfing!!!
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-14-2006, 5:34 PM Reply   
Screw the 3DS, Get a TFD!
Old     (derby)      Join Date: Nov 2005       07-14-2006, 5:47 PM Reply   
Marty I just went though a bunch of boards trying to find the one for me.

I ended up with a PS3 because I thought it was fast and tracked really well. It will also kick you up and is easy on the knees.

I would give it a shot as well as the others mentioned above.

Have fun!