Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 21, 2006

Old     (bigbird1031)      Join Date: Jun 2006       07-09-2006, 5:20 PM Reply   
Any suggestions?
Old    mendo247            07-09-2006, 5:31 PM Reply   
its a complete toss up with me.. towing with cover is nice cause boat is clean and helps protect the boat obivously rock chips, dust etc, but it also tends to rub on the gel coat and leave rub marks.. ive only known a few guys that would get 0 rub marks or chaffing while towing with cover.. i usually tow with it off for the fact i dont like it rubbin on my gel coat.. however today i had to tow a 12 mile dirt road and towed with it on the whole way home and there is a few spots where some minor chaffing went on but the inside of the boat is nice and clean! spend the xtra time to secure straps and make sure your cover is as snug as possible if your gonna tow with it on.. the less flopping around in the wind the better..
Old     (bigbird1031)      Join Date: Jun 2006       07-09-2006, 6:05 PM Reply   
i thought 70mph might not be good for carpet or upholstery.
Old    dno            07-09-2006, 6:41 PM Reply   
My old man swear's that pulling with the cover on not only rubs on the gel coat but ruins the cover as well, besid's you can usualy see better with the cover off.
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-09-2006, 8:22 PM Reply   
My dealer reccomeds towing with the cover off, as long as the weather is cooperating. As said before, stops it from rubbing the gel and flapping around.
Old     (wakespecialty)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-09-2006, 8:26 PM Reply   
it'll also f up your windshield coating - besides the cover wear, gel coat hazing - ain't worth it. one step below towing with boards in racks for me.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-09-2006, 8:27 PM Reply   
Unless I have to tow a long way down a wet dirt road behind a semi, OFF.
Old     (johnw)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-09-2006, 8:56 PM Reply   
Tow with the cover off, it saves the gell coat and your cover. A little time with a shop vac, wax, and damp cloth is well worth avoiding screwing up a cover and gell coat.
Old    ilovetrains            07-10-2006, 10:30 AM Reply   
Another reason to tow with it off:
gas mileage, the covor flapping around increases your drag.
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-10-2006, 11:21 AM Reply   
I used to tow with the cover on. I stopped.

On the plus side it kept the inside of the boat clean and dry and provided a little bit of protection for items inside, both from theft and being blown out.

If the cover is snug and tied down well then it does fine. On the other hand, if one strap is just a little loose it can flap and bang against the hull the entire trip and cause hull marks.

When the covers were new they would hold up just fine to the road trip. After a couple of years the covers would tend to rip in the high wind. Once you get the first tear the cover self destructs very quickly when you subject it to that kind of winds.

If I was starting off on a long road trip (like going to Lake Powell) and needed to carry gear in the boat then I would buy a new cover and make sure it was well secured and tow with it on. For the usual home to launch ramp trip I leave it off.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-10-2006, 11:40 AM Reply   
Two words.... Snap Covers.
Old     (ridetilldeath)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-10-2006, 12:43 PM Reply   
e.j.-i like the post!
thats what we have with our boat.
Old     (badbob13ftw)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-10-2006, 3:42 PM Reply   
I never tow with... same reasons as above.... I do cover when I stop for any period of time ;)have had a couple of friends with theft problems and birds eating thier seats
Old     (bigbird1031)      Join Date: Jun 2006       07-10-2006, 9:21 PM Reply   
snap bow and cockpit covers would have no gelcoat damage???????????????
Old     (bull)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-10-2006, 9:52 PM Reply   
For local trips to the lake I don't use a cover. But if I'm heading out of town I like to tow with the front bow cover on. It's a snap cover that has a rubber surround between the cloth and the gel coat. I've had no probs w/ that and it keeps most of the debris out as well as keeping the heater hoses in place.
Old     (peterc4)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-10-2006, 10:30 PM Reply   
I tow without the cover.
Old     (pittsy)      Join Date: Apr 2004       07-10-2006, 10:47 PM Reply   
I tow with the cover. It pulls from the front to the back and there is a tightening system in the back that makes it as snug as you want it.. no damage done to boat at all.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-11-2006, 6:38 AM Reply   
Yeah, bow covers are nice. I have a snap on bow cover that I do use for towing sometimes. It definitely helps keep road grime out and stuff from blowing out. We usually throw the boards in the walkthru, and it's good for a little peace of mind if you go in to eat lunch somewhere.

I actually use the bow cover on the trailer more than I do on the water. The only times it gets used on the water are really cold days, and we're just not stoked enough to go on really cold days much anymore.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-11-2006, 6:38 AM Reply   
I have had snap covers on both my boats. No gelcoat damage.

....and for the record, I will assume by damage people are meaning major scuffing or something of that nature... I am still trying to decide what type of damage Sunbrella is doing to gelcoat....but will assume scuffing/rubbing down????
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       07-11-2006, 7:38 AM Reply   
I think it depends what kind of cover you own. We have a Rankin which is made for towing and does great. There are no marks on the gelcoat at all and it keeps the boat clean and dry. The last two times we have been poured on towing the boat which made us glad to have the cover on!

Not my boat...but an example of the cover.
Upload
Upload
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-11-2006, 7:56 AM Reply   
Snapper........sorry, poor photo, but it is as good as I have.
Upload
Old    swass            07-11-2006, 8:15 AM Reply   
My boat doesn't leave the garage without its cover. Mine is similar to E.J.'s.

Wanna trade boats?