Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 21, 2005

Old     (centralcali)      Join Date: Jan 2005       07-02-2005, 8:35 PM Reply   
I've been wakeboarding for a few years and have always owned Hyperlite. My first board was a 02 Premier DNA 140 with 02 Parks bindings, my current board is an 05 Parks DNA 140 with 05 Parks bindings, my wakeskate and wakesurf are both Hyperlite....so, me saying this kind of makes me feel like a trader...Buuuttt..HOLY CRAP, Liquid Force Bindings are VERY nice! I have never ridden Liquid Force before, but rode some Sphyxs today. Wow! I couldn't believe how comfortable they where. To me, they were easier to get in and out of, more supportive, and more plush feeling than my Parks. Don't get me wrong, I still like my Parks. However, I guess I was pretty nieve to think that Hyperlite was the only company that made the high end, products.

I think one reason I really liked the Sphyx is because of how nice they were on my injured ankle. A couple months ago I hurt the thendons that run over the top part of my right foot/ankle. With the Sphyx, getting in and out was very easy. They also felt more supportive, or stiffer, than my Parks (which is a good thing with a sore ankle).

I did not start this thread to start a Hyperlite / Liquid Force battle! I am just stating my opinion and am wanting to let people know to try different brands. I am sure there are other bindings out there that I would also like.

I do have to add that I also rode a LF Team board today and didn't care for it too much. It tracked ok but didn't have nearly as much pop as my Parks. I REALLY like the 05 Parks board and will probably hang on to it for a wile. But, isn't it illegal, in some states, to put Liquid Force bindings on a Hyperlite wakeboard?
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-02-2005, 8:52 PM Reply   
I'm glad to hear that you like em a lot, because i just bought a new Byerly 142, and i was thinking about buying either some of the LF Sphinx, or the LF Teams, what you said pretty much sold me.
~Tyler~
Old     (ttuclint)      Join Date: Sep 2003       07-02-2005, 10:34 PM Reply   
LF ownz the HYPErlite.
Old    lovin_the_sport            07-03-2005, 10:31 AM Reply   
Hey there I just bought some sphinx yesterday... Some good stuff!

Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-03-2005, 10:39 AM Reply   
Comfortability.....LF over HL!!

Durability.......from what I hear HL over LF,tho I tell you in a year,just bought some transits!
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-03-2005, 11:17 AM Reply   
Hey, it's all about personal preference, just like boats. They are all nice (well, almost all), and there is something for everyone.

As far as being illegal, I figure laws are made to be broken, so I have an Absolute and a Parks, both with LF Transits. I love being a rebel! I have tried some CWB's and HL's, and for "me", none of them are anywhere close to being as comfortable as the LF's. As far as durability, one of mine are 04's (which I have heard of had problems - but none for me), and I have a new pair of 05's. Very nice. No problems.

Not trying to start a debate either. Just agreeing with Trevor and Hannah.
Old    vcamper            07-03-2005, 11:50 AM Reply   
Trevor, may I suggest also riding some CWB boards/bindings? Hyperlite does have a strong lineup of shapes but other companies have boards and bindings that are just as good or even superior to Hyperlite. (ahem... CWB Absolute, LF Substance, Blindside Blade)and in most cases substantially cheaper.
Old     (hymaeringo)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-03-2005, 12:01 PM Reply   
lf kicked the crap out of hl this year and has forced the industry to reengineer their binding styles and processes for next yr. look for soft shell closed toe.
Old     (centralcali)      Join Date: Jan 2005       07-03-2005, 12:49 PM Reply   
Can anyone tell me what the difference is between the Sphynx and the Transits? They look like they lace the same, but they must be different somehow? I was looking on line last night and am thinking about getting a pair of Transits (because I think they will go better with my board) but want to make sure they are as good as the Sphynxs.
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-03-2005, 1:06 PM Reply   
One thing I noticed is that the Transits are a bit taller on the ankle.
Old     (tige_n_it)      Join Date: Nov 2004       07-03-2005, 2:13 PM Reply   
My transits are cutting a hole in the side of my leg. Must be soft skin.
Old     (bmfb)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-03-2005, 3:34 PM Reply   
buzz is right on, transits wrap higher. sphynx have more foward lean.
Old    cwbabsolute1080            07-03-2005, 4:13 PM Reply   
Heres my thoughts... Liquid Force bindings are unbeliebable in comfort and hold. From what I have seen and heard, they don't hold up that well after some hard use. I talked to a rep who said pros are getiing new ones as much as twice a mounth. But they are still sick bindings!! I will say that LF has to play catch up in the boards section... compared to the Parks, Premier, Byerly, Era, Absolute, Marius, and Transcend, liquid force can't really compare. The only board that does compare is the substance and that board is sick. Pros on the liquid force team arn't even riding their own pro models. They are riding the substance with their graphics on it. I here next year LF is stepping up again with more pro model bindings and boards... Phil Sovens board will be absoloutly sick. Also I here hyperlite might be leaping ahead with some really sick designs including a cloed toe boot. Just what I have heard... don't know if its true.
Old    yearling            07-03-2005, 5:15 PM Reply   
Yeah ive got lf bindings on my hl board. My suggestion is just dont do it. Ive gone through 3 different sets of screws. They always strip out and now my board threads are showing it. I thought that a pair of bones would fix the problem. But they didnt and now 38$ down the hole. Has anybody else had this problem?
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       07-03-2005, 9:53 PM Reply   
Tried the LF teams a few weeks ago, nice bindings, but made me even happier about the CWB Zeus's that I own.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       07-03-2005, 11:09 PM Reply   
mike (tige n it) do you have 04 or 05 transits, because if you have the 04s... the rivets are exposed that dig up your leg, they did it to my friend, on the 05s, that problem is fixed... I suggest some silicone on the rivets to solve that problem...
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-04-2005, 6:52 AM Reply   
I have gotten a new pair of Parks for the past 4 years... and this year in addition to them I picked up a pair of Sphynx... They were definitely a little more comfy... then I slipped on a pair of O'Brien Argons... and wow... the footbed was incredible.

I have always had problems with Hyperlite's binding overlays ripping...

My Sphynx seem to be separating in various areas of the boots...

At first thought on the O'Brien bindings was... big and bulky... but after riding them... I love them... I didn't think I would...

So now my Parks and Sphynx are used for guests.

The O'Brien Bindings... FIT HUGE... I found 2 sizes different!
Old     (hymaeringo)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-04-2005, 7:45 AM Reply   
william waters: im not tryin to rip on HL but I will. the byerly blows ass and the parks is not suited for all riders. His name and graphics sell the board not the shape! many lil punks come into my shop and are set on the parks because they are surfacy in their decisions. If you know jack at all then you would know LF has some of the most influencal and pioneering members that do their shaping. Mr. Redmon makes some of the best and also most copied shapes and LF is a rider driven company with function and and expertise that go into their shapes and molds. I know your post begins w/ "here are my thoughts" and you are entitled to them but the fish, team, substance, subjekt are all pimp ass boards that I would buy before any parks or new byerly. the 03 byerly was the epitome of the shape. no diss on the prem though.

another difference between sphynxs and transits is that transits are all soft material on the inside and sphynxs have regular rubber like traditional bindings on the inside of the tongues.
Old     (centralcali)      Join Date: Jan 2005       07-04-2005, 4:45 PM Reply   
Well...I may have been to quick to give the cold shoulder to my parks bindings. I rode the Sphyxs today again, this time on my Parks board. When riding I was once again amazed by the comfort and entry/release ease. Super comfy and supportive on all jumps, grabs, 180s etc...then everything went WAY wrong! On a heal side backroll I landed just a little tale heavy and my right foot (the foot with sore tendons!) almost came through the toe area of the binding! My toes were hanging out of the front of the binding by atleast 4 inches! Luckally one of my friends in the boat jumped in right away with some lube to help pull me out. Even with his help, and even the help of a second friend in the boat, it still took about 10 minutes to get out. I have heard horror stories of people having to cut bindings off of their feet to get out. I was starting to think we may have to pull the knife out (either for the bindings or even my foot!). Because of the already sore tendons across the front of my ankle, it was one of the most pain things I have experienced when wakeboarding. I don't know what would have happened if I landed the same way in my Parks, but I have to think that the option 2 wouldn't have let that happen. As stated before, I have always rode Parks bindings (first pair in 02) and I have never had that happen before. I don't think that the bindings were to big. I wear an XL with HL and the LFs were also XL. The LF bindings felt as sung while riding as my Parks do. These bindings can obviously handle technical moves and harsh wipe outs - they are rode by many people way better and more advanced than me. I was just woundering if anyone else had this kind of problem?
Old     (magellan)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-04-2005, 8:25 PM Reply   
Agreed on the LF boots. They look awesome, fit awesome. I also have heard many durability concerns from several friends.. The toe hardware is blowing out the side from what I hear. I've ridden mine ten times with no probs but they are last years.
From what I hear from a couple shops, CWB's 06 lineup of boots is rediculous. I guess they have some patented deal coming out that they wouldn't tell me what it does. Anyone heard of this?
Old     (sanger215guy)      Join Date: Oct 2004       07-05-2005, 7:40 AM Reply   
Trevor;
You’re killing me, turning your back on HL. You'll never get any where with the Tantrum or the Backroll crossbreeding your setup (LOL). So when you going to come over to the CWB crew (LOL). Brick will never let you live HL down since you own a Nauti. That Parks board was shaking in the rack on Friday. You know my Parks has taken a permanent spot on the garage wall of shame. Next time out, try my Zeus bindings. The best binding I have ridden. But then I have never tried the Sphyxs. It looks like Wed. is on for an evening set.
Old     (bigpapaf1f)      Join Date: May 2005       07-05-2005, 8:58 AM Reply   
I have a pair of transits. I rip my first pair after two weeks. The inside of the right boot ripped up from the plate. I send them back, Last wednesday two and a half weeks later I get a brand new pair. So sunday I look and they are startin to do the samething. They only last 5 days!!!!! Thats crap!!!!!!!!!!
Old     (detonate69)      Join Date: Apr 2001       07-05-2005, 9:29 AM Reply   
I love my Sphynx's. I've rode them about a dozen times so far and no problems. They are the LE's, I don't know if that makes a difference in construction but they are super comfortable. Oh and they do have the lycra lining inside but only on the heel side, the toe side is a very soft foam like most other bindings.
Old     (bigpapaf1f)      Join Date: May 2005       07-05-2005, 9:41 AM Reply   
I have been thinkin about switch to the sphynx. A few guys I ride with ride sphynx with no problems. David how long have you had them?
Old     (detonate69)      Join Date: Apr 2001       07-05-2005, 9:44 AM Reply   
I've had them a couple months. I sold my transits to get these and I like them a lot better than the transits. They seem to hold my foot better and also aren't as stiff which I like.
Old     (iamnathanhudson)      Join Date: Dec 2002       07-06-2005, 8:29 AM Reply   
does tha moose sell bindings...if so i bet they are HOT!!! HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!
Old     (wakescene)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-06-2005, 9:19 AM Reply   
been riding HL with LF bindings for 5 years now...it's all about comfort for the rider. Keeps the competition healthy!
Old     (ak4life)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-06-2005, 5:19 PM Reply   
Trevor, I'm surpised you didn't totally take my binding apart with how far you stuck your fat @ss foot through.. Just kiddin, man, hope your foot feels better.... that was a scary situation there for a while....
Old     (ak4life)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-06-2005, 7:02 PM Reply   
Since someone mentioned HL durability, thought I'd post pics of the binding screw connection points ripping out of the Roam this past weekend.

I love the Roam to death and can't wait to get it replaced, but I'd be hardpressed to call the board high quality or durable..

Old     (ak4life)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-07-2005, 1:17 PM Reply   
Hey Trevor, HL heard about your foot and decided to introduce closed foot binding for 2006. Man, you got pull...
Old     (stevev210)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-07-2005, 6:57 PM Reply   
Hey Alain your right Trevor does have some big @ss fred flinstone feet Im surprised he got his foot out.
Old     (ak4life)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-07-2005, 7:09 PM Reply   
Not without about a gallon of lube and two grown men pullin Trevor and board away from each other.
Old     (centralcali)      Join Date: Jan 2005       07-07-2005, 7:53 PM Reply   
hey...hey...I was afraid of this turning into a HL / LF bashing...not a Trevor Bashing!! Besides, not everyone can pull off the Flinston feet as incredibly sexy as I can!

I guess next time I will keep the backroll to under 10 foot of air and try not to land so far out in the flats...oh, wait a minute...next time I will be wearing my Parks...nevermind.