Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through October 07, 2003

Old    jlgwinup            09-18-2003, 10:42 AM Reply   
I'm looking at buying a drysuit to extend the riding season here in Sacramento. What are good brands or models to consider?
I want something that will last but that is not too expensive.
Anyone know of any deals going on?
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-18-2003, 11:13 AM Reply   
BARE, great price, great quality.
Old    wakeboard_iraq            09-18-2003, 11:16 AM Reply   
Cliff, is bare a brand or a model and where do you get one for a good price?
Old    aka Bradley Beach            09-18-2003, 11:20 AM Reply   
Oneill Boost is what I have it rocks!
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       09-18-2003, 11:22 AM Reply   
I am happy with my Intensity (made by OS systems for them) and I have friends who have had great success with Barefoot International.
Old     (jarabacoa)      Join Date: Aug 2002       09-18-2003, 11:52 AM Reply   
Bradley Beach, ever had any problems with your suit leaking at the neck?
Old    sickboy            09-18-2003, 1:59 PM Reply   
I love my Bare suit. Check out http://www.shuswapsnb.com/
That's where I picked mine up, great prices, and it was shipped the same day I ordered it.

mb
Old     (sbt3)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-18-2003, 2:09 PM Reply   
I have the oneill as well. It is very comfortable and easy to get on and off. I would definetly recommend it. You may get a little water in the neck if you take a bad header but nothing major. I use to have a ski warm sahara. It sucked. I was always soaking wet in it. The other one I like is the barefoot international (BFI) they make really nice suits, they are really heavy duty.
Old     (lchamaschuk)      Join Date: Feb 2002       09-18-2003, 2:29 PM Reply   
Ditto for the O'Neill. I think the O'Neill has better quality materials and zippers than the Bare, but of course you pay a bit more.
Old     (larry6)      Join Date: Oct 2002       09-18-2003, 4:48 PM Reply   
Bare all the way....
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       09-18-2003, 5:22 PM Reply   
I have tried both the Bare and oneill. It was a toss up so I got the Bare due to the price. I've only had one season on it but so far so good.

Oh yeah, order yours from shuswap (see link above). Great price and cust. service.
Old     (baja)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-18-2003, 6:22 PM Reply   
Ditto on the Bare, I had a pinhole in an older model and Mike at Shuswap exchanged it with a newer model no questions asked. I also felt the Bare was a little more comfortable at the neck line than the Oneill
Old     (wazzy)      Join Date: Nov 2001       09-19-2003, 6:12 AM Reply   
Barefoot International...the only one I'll ever use. triple thick seals...I mean come on this thing is made for barefooting so it's obviously going to stand up to wakeboarding requirements.

~Forrest
www.midwestwakefest.com
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       09-19-2003, 9:55 AM Reply   
Here's a drysuit question for you folks that own them -

What is the sizing all about? I would consider buying one to ride in Dec-Jan, but the sizing charts all list HUGE waist (42"++) and hip (47"++) measurements for my height (6'5", 240lbs, 36" waist) -

which size would you recommend?

thanks
Old     (superairdawg)      Join Date: May 2003       09-19-2003, 10:04 AM Reply   
I've run a Bare for 3 seasons and so far so good. Key to these things is regular maintenance. I've seen a few other suits that have some more cool features such as velcro wrist pulls that I don't have on my Bare, but I'm satisfied.
Old     (supraman)      Join Date: Jan 2002       09-19-2003, 10:17 AM Reply   
David,

It's not waist size, it's suit size (jacket size). You probably wear about a 46 or 48 Long? From all the charts I've looked at you are a perfect candidate for XXL.

Click here to see what I mean.
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       09-19-2003, 11:02 AM Reply   
Thanks for the input Matt - I guess what I was questioning was the second chart down on the page you linked -

If you notice, the XXXL size is for 6'2" - 6'4" height and a 48" chest (great), but for a 41"+ waist and a 47"+ hips. Do they only build these drysuits for tall guys who are fat? I don't get it.

On the first chart on the page you linked, entitled "For Ultra Dry Model Drysuits - Use This Unisex Bare Size Chart," you appear to be right on with the XXL recommendation. Thanks.

Old     (wazzy)      Join Date: Nov 2001       09-19-2003, 11:22 AM Reply   
David, I am just a little shorter and lighter then you, and my BFI XXL drysuit works great!! It' is a little big, but it is also a bag style drysuit that you can wear clothes under. Remember that your clothes add to your size, therefore the drysuit has to be a little big. Plus it is a little oversize, you won't feel constricted.
Old    wakeboardjo            09-19-2003, 12:17 PM Reply   
Most of dry suits I have seen are really baggy allowing for more movement ect. The 46" + is probably just to allow for plenty of space and all because the ones I have seen dont fit tight like a wetsuit. You really dont want them to though because in really cold water we wear wetsuits or warm clothes underneath.
Old     (supraman)      Join Date: Jan 2002       09-19-2003, 1:00 PM Reply   
David,

I've got an Ultra Dry, so I didn't even look at the charts further down - oops. For what it's worth, I recommend the Ultra Dry and second what these other buys are saying - you want this LOOSE. These are baggy suits that you will be wearing clothes under. I think the least important measurement given is the waist. The length of the suit and the size of the seals is a much bigger factor in your comfort. Good luck!
Old     (wazzy)      Join Date: Nov 2001       09-19-2003, 2:17 PM Reply   
there are tight ftting drysuits out there...fit like a wetsuit only made of closed cell neoprene. I believe Ski Warm makes one....but I tend to like the baggy style myself.
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       09-19-2003, 5:47 PM Reply   
Thanks for the input fellas.