Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Tigro)      Join Date: Sep 2012       09-20-2012, 8:24 AM Reply   
Hey all, I am about to pull the trigger and buy my first pair of tower speakers. I think I am going to go with Exile, but I wonder which speakers to get. We use the boat 50/50 for wakeboarding/wakesurfing. Anyone have experience with both speakers? What would you recommend?

Thanks!
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-20-2012, 8:44 AM Reply   
I have had both... I have the surf speakers now. Nice clean sound and certainly better for my budget. You can hear them wake boarding, but not nearly as loud and crisp as the horns at the end of the line. Just depends what you are after. Have you thought about running the hybrid set up? Give Brian a call at Exile. He is super helpful and will not try to upsell you, but will help you get what works best for you.
Old     (spencerwm)      Join Date: Feb 2009       09-20-2012, 9:05 AM Reply   
Clark,
It all depends on how you use the boat. I have had experience with both Exile speakers and I would go with the surf speakers for three reasons.

1. We ride on the river and there are houses on both sides. I would rather not piss off the neighbors who could legally stop me from riding on that stretch.
2. A lot of our crew enjoy sitting on the back seat and with the horn driven speakers that I have previously owned including Skylon Deafcon IV's, Skylon Deafcon V's, Wetsounds Pro 80's, and the Wetsounds Three Some I got complaints.
3. We mostly surf now and the HLCD's suck at that distance.

With this said you could go with a combination of both. If you are going to start with something I vote for Surf's.
Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-20-2012, 11:21 AM Reply   
Tigro - my preference of those two would be the Surf Speaker but I think that you need to throw two pair up there in order to get a strong sound and good look.

Not to introduce another brand but their some newer HLCD's on the market that have harnessed the ability to sound great in the boat as well as out out of the boat. 18mo's I would totally agree with the statement that HLCD's sucks at close range...not the case any more.

You ought to hit Bryan up for a couple demo set's. Rumor is they look as good as the new with big savings on cost.
Old     (Tigro)      Join Date: Sep 2012       09-20-2012, 11:44 AM Reply   
Murphy, I have zeroed in on the Exiles because they seem to be the best bang for your buck. Are any of the "newer HLCD's on the market" comparable?
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-20-2012, 12:19 PM Reply   
Clark C,
Yes, to answer your question directly there are other 'new' products worth considering.
The new Wetsounds REV series speakers are HLCDs but are much, much smoother in response versus the first generation Wetsounds HLCDs. IMO, these new REVs are the smoothest of all HLCDs both when auditioned and when measured with an RTA (real time analyzer).
There is a Wetsounds REV8 which is an 8-inch HLCD just like the 8-inch Exile XM9. Then there is the Wetsounds REV10 which is nearly 50 percent larger than either. And larger means deeper midbass response, a warmer balance and more output with greater ease. Fewer larger speakers are often preferred over more smaller speakers.
There is also the Wetsounds Icon8 'surf' speaker that is the identical size in cone surface area as the Exile XM9 HLCD and nearly double the surface area of the Exile SXT65Q 'surf' speaker.
So considering Wetsounds build quality, cone material, cast stainless steel collars and more, the Wetsounds REV series and Icon series represent a very good bang for the buck.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (Truekaotik)      Join Date: Jun 2012       09-20-2012, 12:44 PM Reply   
I agree with Murphy and David... Not much else to say beside.. Go demo both brands side by side and you will see and hear the difference in price good luck!!
Old     (brianinpdx)      Join Date: Aug 2009       09-20-2012, 1:20 PM Reply   
Clark - Thanks for inquiring about Exile speakers. Looks like most of the guys that chimed in on this thread have some direct experience with what your asking about. From your profile, I wasnt sure where your located, but you can try any of our gear for 30 days and see how you like it.

If you do decide to take the Exile plunge, make sure you speak with one of our techs to help you setup and tune the boat properly. Doing so, will really help make the system operate at peek performance acoustically.

We also have a national sale going on thru the end of the month that will give you a free ZLD preamp line driver with any Tower package. You can call us at the office or visit an authorized retailer for details. But in simple terms it will save you 250 bucks.

Hit me up if you need any information.

-Brian
Exile Audio
Old     (joebob)      Join Date: Jan 2011       09-20-2012, 1:20 PM Reply   
I love how it has gone to other brands by a dealer when the origional post was about one brand, Typical....
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       09-20-2012, 1:35 PM Reply   
J Bob was thinking the same thing. Good call. To be honest I have XM9s and freaking love them! Exile CS is phenomenal. Clark call those guys talk with them.
Old     (Truekaotik)      Join Date: Jun 2012       09-20-2012, 1:53 PM Reply   
I suggest you go demo every speaker out there and make your own INFORMED decision... That's the only way to know for sure what YOU like brother
Old     (UNvisible)      Join Date: May 2010       09-20-2012, 2:26 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebob View Post
I love how it has gone to other brands by a dealer when the origional post was about one brand, Typical....
He posted a question on a general message board. If he wanted a bunch of exile hand holding, then he should have posted in the exile message board. This forum is about providing information geared towards the best for the consumer, and thats where david went with his post.
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-20-2012, 2:31 PM Reply   
Well the question WAS asked about other options by the OP.
There is so much eye-opening information to learn about other brands and other amplifier technologies that you never want to be locked into a single brand. Why would anyone want to exclude themselves from ALL their options and why would anyone want a person shut off from those options. Many would find that curious.
Believe me there are many good promotional deals to be found on most any top brand from local dealers across the country. They're just not on forums openly promoting them. Keep your options open. Find a local dealer for an audition.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (Truekaotik)      Join Date: Jun 2012       09-20-2012, 2:44 PM Reply   
Yup, right here.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigro View Post
Murphy, I have zeroed in on the Exiles because they seem to be the best bang for your buck. Are any of the "newer HLCD's on the market" comparable?
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-20-2012, 2:49 PM Reply   
I have the Exile surf speakers. Looks like they just got two more pairs in as Demo's (mine looked brand new when I got them), can't beat $375/pair shipped:

http://exileaudio.com/store/index.ph...-speakers.html

After playing with mine as just a single pair then hooked up the 2nd pair, 2 pair is a must. I would eat up the above deal before it is gone...and they will go quick as there were 3 pair availabe when I ordered mine, I got two pair and the last pair was gone the day after.
Old     (joebob)      Join Date: Jan 2011       09-20-2012, 7:14 PM Reply   
Just saying look at the post name. Exile HlCD or Surf Speakers.

Then the first post says and I quote "Hey all, I am about to pull the trigger and buy my first pair of tower speakers. I think I am going to go with Exile, but I wonder which speakers to get. We use the boat 50/50 for wakeboarding/wakesurfing. Anyone have experience with both speakers? What would you recommend?"

No hand holding here, just saying he asked a question about a specific speaker and it has already turned into a hey lets get this guy on another bandwagon cause that's the way this place rolls.

There is alot of good product out there, yes, but why steer sombody away from something that they specifically asked about? That's not sales that's preference of brand and a shady way of doing things.

And Un get off your knees. This has not been a general message board in years.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       09-20-2012, 10:13 PM Reply   
Clark,

It took me three boats to get a tower system that was "right." By that I mean, one that sounds good, clear, and yes, LOUD at wakeboarding distance, but also GOOD at surf distance.
  • First boat - Pair of underpowered Fusion speakers (ugh... waste of money and space).
  • Second boat - Wetsounds "Double Up" system (hybrid system with both cones and horns)... better than first boat, but still couldn't hear it at wakboard distance. Very dissapointing considering the cost.
  • Third boat - Four Exile XM9's with Harpoon Amp and ZLD equalizer. WOW!! What a great system, and yes we surf too. It sounds great no matter what your application.

Honestly, I dont' understand why people trash HLCD's for surfing. If it's too loud, just turn the volume down. Easy! If you are worried about houses on the river... same solution. But I don't get why you wouldn't want the power and throw of the horns for wakeboarding. I have NO use for tower speakers that you can't hear while wakeboarding. Also, I'm not audiophile, but I'm pretty sure you can tune the XM9's and Harpoon amp to sound differently for different applicaitons (Brian, correct me if I'm wrong).

Skip the surf speakers, imho.

XM9's for the win!

Old     (Tigro)      Join Date: Sep 2012       09-21-2012, 5:18 AM Reply   
Thanks everyone for the replies. I spoke with Brian at Exile last night and he was very helpful in clarifying some of my quetions and concerns.

As I do not live in an area where I have access to personally compare the difference in sound between Exile, wetsounds, bullet, etc, I wanted to hear from people that have actually owned/heard the different Exiles and their preference. Thanks DBC, nitrousbird, and those of you that gave me your personal preference. As of right now, I am leaning towards the XM9's due tio the best compromise of sound quality for surf and wakeboard. Maybe in a year I'll add a 2nd pair.
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       09-21-2012, 6:04 AM Reply   
Clark C not trying to spend all your money but your really gonna want the ZLD. Spend the extra cake its worth it.
Old     (Tigro)      Join Date: Sep 2012       09-21-2012, 6:15 AM Reply   
Tampa, I thought you said you love the 9's!?!?
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       09-21-2012, 7:29 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigro View Post
Tampa, I thought you said you love the 9's!?!?
The ZLD he speaks of is an EQ. I also recommend this...

Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       09-21-2012, 7:39 AM Reply   
Thanks DBC and yes LOVE my 9s. I just think being able to adjust sound quickly is VERY important and worth the extra cake.
Old     (Tigro)      Join Date: Sep 2012       09-21-2012, 8:42 AM Reply   
Ah, shows my ignorance!!! Just ordered A pair of 9s and a harpoon amp. Also ordered the 800 amp to power my internal speakers. It's gradually coming together!!!
Old     (Tigro)      Join Date: Sep 2012       09-21-2012, 8:45 AM Reply   
Looks like I may be getting a zld for free with the order. Gotta talk to Brian again. I put the order in early this am because a pair of 9s and the harpoon amp became available as demos. Didn't want them to disappear!
Old     (brianinpdx)      Join Date: Aug 2009       09-21-2012, 1:56 PM Reply   
Tigro - Welcome to the Exile family. It was nice to talk with you yesterday. Be sure to hit us up with questions and or tuning advice once you get into the instal going. It is not a bother at all. No question is a silly one.

DBC - Nice ZLD picture. Whats with the SUB all the way up brotha! I'm surprised you didnt break that factory 12 haha! Super glad to hear your system in this year's boat worked well for you.

-Brian
Exile Audio
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       09-21-2012, 2:10 PM Reply   
While this might come as a shock to the ridiculously brand loyal boat stereo scene, the zld works great on non-exile speakers too. Me likey.
Old     (joebob)      Join Date: Jan 2011       09-21-2012, 2:18 PM Reply   
^^^^^^like lol
Old     (Tigro)      Join Date: Sep 2012       09-21-2012, 2:19 PM Reply   
Brian- hope I didn't wake ya this morning with the text! I didn't want to risk missing the good deal, yet I didn't want them to ship till I spoke with you again! Thanks again!
Old     (tx_foilhead)      Join Date: Apr 2009       09-22-2012, 12:08 PM Reply   
Brian, since you mentioned the bass on the ZLD turned all the way up I'm now curious about how you would set it up? That looks almost identical to how I keep mine set and the master volume would move to between 12 and 2 o'clock. I run REV 10's with a JL 750/1, a JL 13TW5 on a 750/1 and some 7.7 JL coax inboats with a M 400/4 with an iPod for tunes. I gained the amps with a DMM per JL specs and then balanced the inboats and sub with music that lacks a little bass (old 80's stuff that was mixed that way). When the bass overpowers the inboats I just back the sub down a little. Keeps the sound in the boat good and I don't have a sub that can keep up with REV 10's output so no use in trying. I'll be adding a deck this winter because my HSE bit the dust so if you have a different idea I'd like to give it a shot when I retune.
Old     (brianinpdx)      Join Date: Aug 2009       09-22-2012, 12:36 PM Reply   
tx_foilhead - from your description of your setup I think your on the right track. A lot of this has to do with how much horse power you have in each zone. Your system looks to me to be fairly balanced.

Not to pick on IXE here but in his system, he wanted to upgrade the tower, substantially and leave the cabin and sub zones with the stock setup. This was due in part to cost and the fact he doesnt keep boats to long. In that given situation, you have a tower zone that can light a house on fire from a mile away but the sub will struggle to keep up. From a user point of view, I'd think his SVolume is cranked permanently to try to keep pace with his 4 XM9's on the tower.

so if you find yourself pinning the sub control on the ZLD, you need to take a look and ask yourself, do i want more more more or should I move up a level in sub to match the horsepower of those REv's. 2 choices. take the sub you ahve now and get it in a ported box so you get some more lift in the mid bass region, or move up a level on the JL sub and boost up the amp power.

In the end your system will be more balanced, and your ZLD should be less maxed out control wise.

make sense?

-Brian
Exile Audio
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       09-22-2012, 6:56 PM Reply   
Brian,

You know me too well! Yes, the factory sub isn't nearly up to the standards of the tower. I typically have the sub volume dial between 3:00 and fully cranked. On certain songs I can tell its really outmatched so I usually back off the sub frequency before I turn down the volume. Not sure if that's the best way to do it. If I were keeping this boat I'd probably upgrade the sub/amp to the Exile 1500 setup.

With that said, this boat sounds really good. Soooo much better than either of my MB's.

On my next boat my plan is to do the exact same tower setup with Exile in the cabin (i.e. factory stereo delete)
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-22-2012, 7:33 PM Reply   
What's next David? Surfgate VLX or MXZ? Maybe an SA supra? My guess is Surfgate something?
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       09-22-2012, 10:13 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarbill View Post
What's next David? Surfgate VLX or MXZ? Maybe an SA supra? My guess is Surfgate something?
Not sure yet... But you named a few from my list! :-)

Gotta get the VLX sold first before I let my imagination run too wild.
Old     (tx_foilhead)      Join Date: Apr 2009       09-23-2012, 4:50 AM Reply   
Thanks Brian. There just isn't the space for a deep sub box in ther area I was willing to give up, so while I would love more I can't make it fit.