Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 12, 2006

Old     (lakeguy77)      Join Date: May 2002       07-04-2006, 8:39 AM Reply   
Will this get the job done?

http://www.lepage.com/products/detail.asp?catid=21&subid=54&plid=277

I'm using these instructions to do some repairs to a board...

http://www.wakeworld.com/articles/2004/fixadent.asp

Seems very straight forward and they're nicely outlined instructions. Anybody have any advice for someone doing this for the first time?
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       07-04-2006, 8:44 AM Reply   
Or this.
http://www.rainbowfins.com/accessories/index.php?id=12
Old     (lakeguy77)      Join Date: May 2002       07-04-2006, 8:59 AM Reply   
I'd love to get the kit, but nobody locally has it (called around) and I need the board fixed for the weekend as I'm going away for 10 days and the board is comin' with me.

Either way, last time I buy a used board off eBay. Got an 03 TFD 142 that the guy claimed had never been used on sliders, all edges were good, fins were perfect, etc. Well, a corner of one of those aluminum A-wing fins was bent (straightened it fairly easily so not too mad about it) and multiple dings on the edges. None are huge, but a couple on the tips are delaminating and there are a couple others that will if I don't do something about them. And the bottom is scratched up pretty damn good. I'm taking it and my 01 Drifter on the trip, and unless this board rides like an absolute dream, it'll be relegated to visiter status on the boat after I'm home from vacation. I got it cuz I've become a little too heavy for the Drifter and the landings are getting awful hard, but I love the ride and everything about the board. This is just making me regret looking for a replacement.
Old     (lakeguy77)      Join Date: May 2002       07-04-2006, 10:50 AM Reply   
Anybody have an opinion or try an epoxy that worked well? If not I'm going to give it a try and see what happens. I need to get workin' on this today so I can have the board ready. Thanks for any advice anybody can lend.
Old     (lakeguy77)      Join Date: May 2002       07-05-2006, 5:28 AM Reply   
Just to let people know, I just peeled the tape off of my first patch, and that LePage epoxy works AWESOME. It's rock hard. Haven't started sanding yet, I'm going to patch a couple more spots on the board that need help then do all the sanding in one evening (probably tomorrow night), but just wanted to give you guys a heads up that the stuff I used worked beautifully.
Old     (waterboy3)      Join Date: Feb 2006       07-05-2006, 6:00 AM Reply   
Tommy, i used Loctite epoxy on mine that i found at Lowe's. they have an extensive variety of epoxies. i simply layed in over or into cracks to seal them up. the only thing to make sure of is if there is an air bubble, pop it. the epoxy usually shapes well to the board and i would only sand any sharp corners. keep sanding to a minimum to keep strength. A little raised dab of epoxy wont affect the way the board rides. i made my concern fixing the board right and not worrying how 'pretty' it looks cuz thats just pointless IMO. goodluck with the rest
Old     (lakeguy77)      Join Date: May 2002       07-05-2006, 11:08 AM Reply   
I actually work for the Canadian division of W.W.Grainger, so I've got access to a wide range of industrial epoxies at well below wholesale cost. :-) I just pulled out a bunch of application charts and this lepage one seemed to be the most applicable. But I didn't even think to check loctite. I've worked with the Loctite rep on several projects with my company, can't believe I didn't think of that one. But I have to buy more anyways for a couple more dings. Maybe I'll try the loctite one and see which holds up better. What part number did you use? I'm pretty sure they've got more than one in their catalog.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-06-2006, 7:06 AM Reply   
If you're not hitting sliders then any kind of epoxy should do fine. There is also something called "Suncure" that drys just by exposing it to sunlight.

http://www.thesurfdepot.com/single.php?itemNumber=5102&PHPSESSID=3d70982fe9270 f4f4777d941fca9a623

If you are hitting sliders then you need something more resilient than epoxy (or Suncure), which will crack on impact. I use boat Bondo, which is Bondo permeated with shredded fiberglass.
Old     (lakeguy77)      Join Date: May 2002       07-06-2006, 11:21 AM Reply   
No sliders here, just water. :-) I'm pretty much done, just have some sanding left to do. Not that hard, just waiting for it to cure is a pain.