Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-20-2012, 8:06 AM Reply   
Hey Everyone,

My Fiance' is running for Miss Wisconsin in a few months (then hopefully Miss America) and as part of the program they fundraise for the Childrens Miracle Network.... one of her events will be a silent auction of "Baskets" for different types of lifestyles/activities.... the auction is being held at a bar/restaurant (on the lake I live on) on Memorial Day Weekend ... I was thinking of putting together a wakeboard/watersports basket for her to auction off and figured I would see if anyone out there has anything they would be willing to donate to this. We live in an area full of lakes so I would guess it should do fairly well.

With or without donations I'll probably try and throw together a wakeboard setup, rope, handle, life vest, board shorts, etc etc etc etc.... basically everything you would need to get out behind the boat for someone.

So if anyone has anything (doesn't have to be new, just in really good shape) they would be willing to donate I would appreciate it...then write it off at what its full MSRP is/was. I can certainly cover shipping or anything like that.
.... also if any place would be willing to do discounts or something that would be great.

Please let me know,
Thank you for reading!
Nick
715-213-4240
tomsyckn@gmail.com

**Also David - if you feel this takes away from your Toys for Tots fundraiser just pull the thread and sorry! **
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-20-2012, 11:30 AM Reply   
Got the first donation .... they would like to remain in the dark.... you know who you are, and thank you very very much!
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-20-2012, 12:35 PM Reply   
Another one, Thank you CIRE!
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-21-2012, 12:01 PM Reply   
Another one came in last night

- Thanks again everyone!
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-24-2012, 5:55 AM Reply   
Cire shorts showed up last night -. Thanks guys!
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-08-2012, 7:45 AM Reply   
Update -

Big thank you to the following who have helped out
CIRE Boardshorts for donating multiple pairs of boardshorts - Hopefully all the winners go out and buy 5 more pairs after they see how awesome they are! Thanks guys!

CWB and Will Christien - Thanks Will and Jay @ CWB for donating a full setup - excited to see the buzz this will bring, and this is my first time trying on hinge boots (had to slip my foot in once, it was too tempting not to)... they're awesome. I think I see a pair in my future.

One other big donation that I would love to praise for their help, but they would like to remain in the dark... because of this "mystery" giver we'll be able to provide 15 C.G.A. life vests to men, women, and a lot of children!.... seriously over like $1,000 worth of gear. You know who you are, again thank you again!
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-23-2012, 3:22 PM Reply   
Last big THANK YOU !!!!! To all those who donated... My fiance's fundraiser is this weekend so lets hope for good weather for her event.... I'll post up after and let everyone know how she did. Lots of amazing baskets put together so we're hoping for $3k+ to come in for her.

We'll have a few water/watersports baskets with the following items that were donated:

Wakeboard package- wakeboard/bindings/two life vests /handle/board shorts/gas can + gas card/System 2.0 pass/1 hour lesson from me (for what thats worth -ha)

Ski package - Combo Skis / two Life vests (mens and womens) / board shorts / gas can + gas card / handle + rope / 1 hour lesson from a local 3-event master

Boat package - gas can + gas card, bumpers, winter indoor storage for 1 year, winterization from local dealer, cooler, life vests

....then a there will be a bunch if individual life vests as well as vests in with water toys/fun baskets (squirt guns, floats, etc etc etc).... more geared towards pools or just lake fun and not so much wakeboard.

Again, huge thanks to all those who donated, My fiance and I really appreciate it and hopefully she'll win the CMN donation award at Miss Wisconsin (as well as the title).... then I'll buy everyone who donated a beer or five if you meet up with me in Vegas for Miss America.

Thanks again, despite how crazy/nuts the forums can, everyone in the wakeboard community is awesome! Thanks so much for the help
Old     (nuckledragger)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-24-2012, 5:59 AM Reply   
We will take you up on the beer in Vegas if it comes with a backstage pass for the pageant! Tell her good luck from us!
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-24-2012, 6:59 AM Reply   
Quote:
We will take you up on the beer in Vegas if it comes with a backstage pass for the pageant! Tell her good luck from us!
If there is enough beer backstage will happen, whether we're allowed to or not.

Thanks again guys @CIRE - BTW the 4-way shorts I just bought are the single most awesome things I have ever worn.... a few buddies have seen them (superfreak fans as well) and in the next week or two I'm plkacing another order for all of us..... they're just perfect.
Old     (MrPeepers)      Join Date: Aug 2011       05-24-2012, 7:07 AM Reply   
I think a couple pics of your Miss Wisconsin would really get things going. It's for the children!
Old     (nuckledragger)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-24-2012, 8:00 AM Reply   
Thanks Nick, you share the same opinion of many others who have tried our 4-way.. Enjoy.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-24-2012, 10:23 AM Reply   
Only thing I could find not blocked by work - her and two pageant friends
she is the one in the middle

Last edited by sidekicknicholas; 05-24-2012 at 10:29 AM. Reason: broken image link - I'll try again
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-24-2012, 10:29 AM Reply   
Her talent is Opera - so here she is doing that:
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            05-24-2012, 10:48 AM Reply   
Damn if thats what Wisconsin girls look like...I'll deal with the winters and relocate from FL! Congrats on your gaterings for the fundraiser.

And yes...I value my CIRE boardshorts more than any of my wakeboard setups combined!!
Old     (MrPeepers)      Join Date: Aug 2011       05-24-2012, 11:58 AM Reply   
Solid.
Old     (nuckledragger)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-24-2012, 12:41 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by LR3w8kbrdr View Post
Damn if thats what Wisconsin girls look like...I'll deal with the winters and relocate from FL! Congrats on your gaterings for the fundraiser.

And yes...I value my CIRE boardshorts more than any of my wakeboard setups combined!!
WW needs a LIKE button on the forum!
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-24-2012, 1:22 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckledragger View Post
WW needs a LIKE button on the forum!
there is a rate bar at the top
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-29-2012, 3:15 PM Reply   
Welp, the weather sure didn't cooperate this weekend but we still did well.

I think when it was all said and done the fundraiser brought in just under $3k... like $2896 or something.
My brother happened to win the Wakeboard package (he put $60 worth of tickets into that basket), he said all he really wanted was a new life vest, new board shorts, and the handle.... so we will be selling the board and putting the money towards the cause too - to hit the $3k mark.

... I ended up winning the "Golf Basket" so I got a few free rounds of golf out of the deal.

All in all it turned out great and another big THANK YOU! to all those who helped.

Thanks again!

Here is a shot from the sh*t weather on Saturday.... Sunday was great here in the Midwest though.
Old     (SDEndurance)      Join Date: Sep 2011       05-29-2012, 11:37 PM Reply   
Congrats on your sucess. Any tips for me for a similar fundraiser?
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-30-2012, 6:10 AM Reply   
She ran it in the following fashion:

All of the baskets were placed out and had a little ticket bucket in front of them.... she sold tickets $1=1 $5=6 $20=30 and then people would put their name/number on the ticket and place it in the bucket/basket of the items they wanted. We collected tickets for 3 days (Friday-Sunday), then on Sunday at like 10pm when the band that was playing at the venue took a break she got up and pulled the names out in front of everyone.... people who were there claimed their stuff, those who were got a call and have two weeks to make arrangements or they will go to a backup name.
Throughout the nights she also had 50/50 raffles for just straigh cash.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-12-2012, 6:16 AM Reply   
She left this Sunday for the competition..... and as of yesterday she is over double the donations of any other girl in the competition - Thanks wakeworld for that !

The girls go the Sunday before and participate in a bunch of lunches/dinners/events leading up to it all, today she'll do her interview with the judges, and the live part of the competition starts tomorrow.... not that anyone cares, but I'll keep updating this with how things go.

Here are all the ladies before/after some dinner they had - she is towards the upper right corner.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-14-2012, 6:10 AM Reply   
Update from last night's part of the competition (again, not that anyone cares)

The competition is laid out in the following way:
Half the girls compete in "Lifestyle health and fitness competition --- lets just call it Swimsuit and On-Stage question on Wednesday, then Talent and evening gown on Thursday
The other half of the girls do talent and evening gown on Wednesday, and then swimsuit and on-stage question on Thursday
.... then top 10 are selected first thing on Saturday and all compete again, in swimsuit , talent, and evening gown.... then they pick a top 5, then the top 5 answer a question on stage (usually a loaded political/touchy issue) and that is how they pick the winner.

Katie (my fiance') did her on-stage question and swimsuit..... the question she knocked out of the park as far as I was concerned. Also each night they give "Preliminary Awards" in swimsuit and talent, she won the swim suit award ! She it totally on pace to win this thing, since all that is left for her is really talent, which is her bread and butter. So from the other group a talent award was given, which went to the small Asian girl in the front row - her name is Stephanie Kok.

Here are the first night Prelim winners:

Last edited by sidekicknicholas; 06-14-2012 at 6:13 AM.
Old     (ScottR)      Join Date: Aug 2011       06-14-2012, 7:16 AM Reply   
Nick - Tell her well done. I always thought whoever won the bathing suit should win anyway! Ha Great job fundraising and helping out someone you love man.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-14-2012, 7:24 AM Reply   
Thanks much! I'll pass on the love to her. She seems to be in really high spirits about the whole, thing....so hopefully that is a good sign, or that she has just said F***k it!

a slightly better swimsuit picture ....
Old     (ScottR)      Join Date: Aug 2011       06-14-2012, 7:28 AM Reply   
Damn Nick...lol Don't turn this into the boat bun thread.. She would fit though....

Last edited by ScottR; 06-14-2012 at 7:29 AM. Reason: cuz