Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (kgarr1986)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-06-2011, 10:49 AM Reply   
I have a 99 crownline BR202. Stock it has 2 6.5 speakers under the captains console and passenger console. I was checking to see if anyone has done anything with one of these boats or if they have any ideas. I would like to put 2 - 10" subs, and 2 - 6x9's along with some tower speakers. The question is where to put the other speakers. Any ideas?
Old     (mrt111)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-06-2011, 1:32 PM Reply   
Can you take some pictures of the boat?
Old     (boardnxtx)      Join Date: Jun 2009       07-07-2011, 5:41 AM Reply   
Check out Earmark's online guide to installations they have completed on Crownline's. You might find what you're looking for there.

http://www.earmarkcaraudio.com/insta...ne_gallery.asp
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       07-07-2011, 6:54 AM Reply   
Get an inboard! You're never going to be able to get the stereo sounding how you want it on an I/O. Ha!

BTW that was a joke.
Old     (doc1)      Join Date: May 2011       07-07-2011, 2:25 PM Reply   
Definatley another pair of good 6.5" or 7" in the rear is the first thing I would do. Then another pair in the bow. Then a Subwoofer and lastly some REV8's or REV10's on the tower! We have an 18'6" Larson outboard with 6 in boat speakers and a 10" free air subwoofer. The rear of the boat is running off of a 5 channel amplifier. The front two speakers are run off the deck.

Last edited by doc1; 07-07-2011 at 2:27 PM. Reason: Added
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-07-2011, 2:37 PM Reply   
Maybe replace the stock 6.5's with a couple subs/boxes, put a pair of good 6.5's or 7.7's in the bow and under the back seat and do Rev8's or 10's.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-07-2011, 2:49 PM Reply   
Or some xm9's, they sound really good.
Old     (Silverbullet555)      Join Date: May 2010       07-07-2011, 3:47 PM Reply   
It doesn't take much to get decent sound. The cost gets exponentially more expensive. We have 2 speakers in the bow and 4 in the cabin of our 22 foot bowrider. We also had 1 12" sub at the suggestion of Wetsounds (was going to do to 10's). To the tower we put to kicker pods and 2 double pods with Polk DB651 speakers. I went cheaper on the speakers since I don't want to freak out when they die and I have to replace them. The sub is in a sealed enclosure in the storage area under the dash. I am still working on that.

Anyway, add 2 speakers in the bow and a couple more in the cabin. Then pick your poison for the tower and wire it all up.
Old     (kgarr1986)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-07-2011, 4:45 PM Reply   
Thanks for the suggestions. The sub placement is my main concern, I saw in that earmark car audio link all they were using were 8" bazooka tubes, otherwise it looks like a custom box under the dash would be the next approach. Thoughts?
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-07-2011, 4:53 PM Reply   
Custom box is what I would do. Don't go the shortcut bazooka tube route, it will never sound as good.
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-07-2011, 5:37 PM Reply   
Karl,
Bazooka tubes are tricky in that they don't perform in every application. The self-powered models are anemic by any standard and the 10s just lack midbass punch. But the marine passive reference 8-inch model does a pretty good job in the model of Crownlines as shown. They are very efficient and will run off low power. In those applications you will notice that the bass-reflex tubes are boundary-loaded in a nice cavity/corner, the woofer and port are spaced sufficiently away from the hull and that they are in an open environment rather than concealed in the seating or other consule. They tune differently and you have to know this product well to make them sound good. Also good when trying to hit a lower system price point.
Certainly a custom built enclosure with a good 10 or 12-inch and more power will be a big improvement. Unfortuneately it isn't as straight forward in your Crownline as under the driver's helm in most inboard towboats.

David
Earmark Marine