Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (bboozer)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-19-2009, 1:36 PM Reply   
I am assuming that the 50D would be the better of the 2 since it has 15.1MP compared to the 40D's 10.1MP are they basically the same camera otherwise??? I have been reading the ohter threads and saw that everyone was saying to go with the 40D over the XSI... and I found this Canon EOS 50D Black 15.10 MP 3.0" 920K LCD Digital SLR Camera w/ 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Lens for $1319 with free shipping at Newegg.com

I was wondering if this was as good of a deal as it seems to me... Since I am thinking of taking the plunge for a DSLR too... I have a new baby and really want to take good quality wake pics too}
Old     (merrion13)      Join Date: Aug 2007       01-19-2009, 2:13 PM Reply   
I'm a Nikon guy but one of my good friends is a Canon dude...from what I hear from him and his fellow Canonites, buy the 40D and spend the cost savings on good glass. But there are lots of Canon people here who have much more knowledge on this topic.

As a side note, its never about which camera has more MPs, lots of other factors make a good camera!
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-19-2009, 2:14 PM Reply   
are you gonna print out poster size prints?
Old     (hunterw)      Join Date: Mar 2008       01-19-2009, 2:24 PM Reply   
I to have heard of going with the 40 over the 50. Some are having computer issues with the 50. As for the printing of pictures I have a 40 and just recently printed 18x24 pictures and they came out very nicely. It will be interesting to see where this thread goes but I would probably say it will be more for the 40.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-19-2009, 2:28 PM Reply   
it was actually a sarcastic question. my point is that if you're going to print out posters, then the more the mps, the better. other than that, i'd look into the other differences.
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       01-19-2009, 3:13 PM Reply   
I have a few friends that recently went the 40D route after comparing it to the 50D at a local shop. There are a few differences (new sensor and bigger LCD on the back, etc) but in the end both friends went with the lesser expensive body and put the money that they saved into some better glass.
Old     (bboozer)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-19-2009, 5:04 PM Reply   
Actually the 50 was $20 cheaper than the 40 with the same lense on that particular website, which I thought was very strange.... That is why I was asking the 50 was on sale and the 40 was not
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       01-19-2009, 5:16 PM Reply   
I would actually go for the 40 D over the 50 D

Honestly unless you are shooting for a billboard the Megapixels wont matter
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       01-19-2009, 5:22 PM Reply   
Newegg is a legit retailer. If the price is good and they have what you want, do not hesitate to buy from them.

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Newegg
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       01-19-2009, 6:07 PM Reply   
Haven't used the 50-D but am very happy with my 40-D. I think Rich Dykmans has shot with both, Rich?
Old     (skull)      Join Date: May 2002       01-19-2009, 6:50 PM Reply   
The LCD on the 50D is MUCH MUCH better than the one on the 40D. Compare the two side by side. I actually bought a 50D on 1/6/09 from buydig.com for $1069 w/a free memory card. The site said it was in stock but it never showed up. I called and it was on backorder. This whole time it said "in stock" on their web site. After the date for shipping got pushed back a couple times I canceled the order so now I am looking for a 50D also. Check B&H... I did notice both Buydig and B&H raised their 50D's by $100 this weekend (I think a Canon rebate expired or something).
Old     (1boarder_kevin)      Join Date: Mar 2007       01-19-2009, 7:20 PM Reply   
fyi bhphotovideo.com has the 40d for 970 (or so) and they are a very reputable dealer that most on here use. Just bought a 40d for 950 before christmas and are very happy. didn't look at the 50d because I actually started looking at a cheaper camera and upsized to the 40d. couldn't justify 2 upgrades and from what I read the 50d has advantages, but they aren't huge (to me anyway). I am basically a rookie so I won't get into detail
Old     (skull)      Join Date: May 2002       01-19-2009, 7:27 PM Reply   
Be aware of these scum bags... they have a lot of other phony other name. B&H is great from what I hear.

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Broadway_Photo
Old     (skull)      Join Date: May 2002       01-19-2009, 7:30 PM Reply   
Both the 40 and 50D are really BIG cameras. If I am going to be walking around with a camera all day I'd rather use my XSi with a 50mm f/1.4. I will buy a 50D for wakeboarding pics and other stuff.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       01-19-2009, 8:46 PM Reply   
"Both the 40 and 50D are really BIG cameras."

Jeez you ought to shoot a 1 series if you think those are big!

My advice on the 2:

If you're going to shoot primarily long focal lengths and need the extra cropability afforded by the 50D and all those tiny pixels, that's the way to go. Nature shooters are loving that body.

For everyday stuff and sports like wakeboarding stick with the 40D as you don't need the extra pixels.

Also the 50D will stress even good L lenses sometimes given all the detail that sensor can resolve. Shots that look good with that 28-135 on a 40D are going to look not as good on the 50 especially if you pixel peep.

I also think the 40D has more under exposure leeway before noise rears it's ugly head.

AF speed/accuracy appears to be a draw based on what I'm reading out there. I thought the 50D's AF was pretty good.