Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 28, 2007

Old     (monkey)      Join Date: Oct 2002       10-10-2007, 10:16 AM Reply   
In our new '05 Nautique 211, we've discovered a small oil/fluid drip. It seems to be coming out near a nut and bolt that faces downward, under the V-drive, right near where the dipstick meets the unit.

I did a search, and I have to admit, I'm a little confused by what I'm reading. The fluid looks like motor oil. It's not red like transmission fluid, and it seems like people are posting that the transmission and the V-drive are 2 separate units. One takes 30 weight motor oil, and the other takes transmission fluid. Some people seem to be saying that it's important to fix leaks, and others are saying it's not. I'm confused. Help! Is the V-drive unit different than the transmission. Is this something that I need to fix, or should I just put something under it to catch the drip, because these things always leak?
Old     (sanddragon2004)      Join Date: Jul 2005       10-10-2007, 10:25 AM Reply   
the v drive unit is a seperate unit from the trans,

the trans has internal clutchs and uses ATF type gear oil.

the Vdrive units job is to basically take the output of the trans and turn it around. basically why its called a v drive. (hope that makes sense)

they usually run a seperate heavier gear oil, much like a rear end in a car. I would think a leak like this should be covered on a 2005 naut?
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       10-10-2007, 10:39 AM Reply   
Tim, Tbe PCM v-drive uses 30 wt motor oil. I've never seen on leak. I'm sure some develop leaks but it would come from the seals around the input and output shaft. Should not leak from a bolt in the housing or cover. The PCM in my Centurion comes with a 3 year warrenty, I would think it would be at least that long in a Nautique.

A small drip would not destroy the unit if you check often and keep full but it will make a mess in the bilge and get into the lake when the bilge pump runs.
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-10-2007, 10:48 AM Reply   
Tim, the unit should be a Walters V-drive and like others have stated, it uses 30 wt for a simple gear bath, there are not clutches or anything in there.

If it's under warranty, take it in. Otherwise you have to decide how bad the leak is and if it's worth your time and money. My 02 210 has a leaky V-drive. Only once in 4 years have I really needed to add oil. I keep a quart of all fluids in the boat, engine oil, tranny, V-drive.

It's fairly common with the Walters V-drive, usually the bottom gasket or a fitting. If it's the seals around the shaft, that is another issue that could get worse with time. If it's under warranty, take it in.

I decided to live with it until it get's worse. Periodically checking and filling as needed. No biggy to me...yet.
Old     (monkey)      Join Date: Oct 2002       10-10-2007, 10:51 AM Reply   
In this thread:
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65921/329515.html
Read the 2nd post. He's saying his was fixed once and then replaced, but still leaked. He thinks it's a design flaw.

I bought the boat used from a private party, but my mechanic is friends with the dealership owner and called him. The warranty was only good for 2 years, apparently. I've heard elsewhere that the Correct Craft mechanical warranties are only good for 2 years, so that seems consistent.
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-10-2007, 10:58 AM Reply   
That thread is familiar.......
Old     (monkey)      Join Date: Oct 2002       10-10-2007, 11:19 AM Reply   
Ha, you started that thread... go figure.

I was busy writing my post before yours popped up, actually, but thanks for the new input. I'm thinking that I'll go with the let it drip method, for now, since it's out of warranty. Have you had any other issues?
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-10-2007, 11:46 AM Reply   
Nope. It leaks a bit, I know it, I check it, I fill it when needed. I have a V-drive oil pressure light on the dash, so if it stays on past the stated RPM, it needs fluid, that helps.

Other than us dinging props and degrading trailer tires, everything else is fine. The boat runs great with a ton of weight in it and I maintain it myself.

I know it's a pain and certainly not optimal, but if it's only a drip, that is fine if everything else runs good.
Old     (monkey)      Join Date: Oct 2002       10-10-2007, 12:14 PM Reply   
Do you put anything under it to catch the drip? I've heard of something nick-named a boat "diaper", but I don't know where to find one.