Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 28, 2007

Old     (elduche)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-29-2007, 5:09 PM Reply   
I have a mercruiser black scorpion engine. I bought a drain plug hose and was going to install it when I changed the oil at the end of the season.

Well, its the end of the season, I am out at the lake right now trying to install this drain hose (thank goodness for blackberries). Anyway, the threads on the hose aren't the right size. I call the place I bought the hose from, give them my engine serial number and they tell me I have the wrong part! It would have been nice if they had given me the right part to begin with.

I am going to have to go in on Monday and get the one with the right size threads, but my question is, can I leave the engine with the drain plug out and without any oil in it until next weekend when I can come out with the new part? I don't really see why not, but maybe is there a problem with allowing it to dry out or allowing too much air in the engine? Sorry if this sounds like a silly question, I just thought I would ask in case I am missing something.

Thanks for your advice, any help would be appreciated.
Old     (luchog)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-29-2007, 5:36 PM Reply   
be sure to not crank it!
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       09-29-2007, 5:51 PM Reply   
No Problem, Just disconnect the battery and leave a note on the cable so you don't forget.
Old     (elduche)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-29-2007, 6:42 PM Reply   
Yeah, I certainly won't turn the engine over, I've taken the key. Thanks for the reply Art, its good to have the peace of mind. I'll leave it as is until I can get the new hose next weekend.

Thanks again,
Old     (dirtyjerz)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-29-2007, 7:11 PM Reply   
Put a rag or something over the drain plug so nothing gets in there (insects, dirt, debris).
Old     (sanddragon2004)      Join Date: Jul 2005       10-01-2007, 10:34 AM Reply   
I wouldnt recommend it,

or else your next post in the spring might read like this.

"I FORGOT TO PUT OIL IN OVER THE WINTER DO I NEED A MOTOR?"

lol insurance do it right the first time and dont worry about it in the spring when its 75 outside and u wanan ride.
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-01-2007, 1:47 PM Reply   
The dude is coming back next week. If he cant remember to put oil in before he statrs it the next time he should definitly NOT be on the water. Duncan your fine all winter with no oil in your engine. It sits in the crankcase while its not running anyway so your fine. I would put a piece of paper with "NO OIL IN ENGINE" on your key ring.
Old     (jayc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       10-02-2007, 12:40 AM Reply   
Having accidently started a motor with no oil (no damage done luckily!) I would take the key out the barrel and tape it to the dash with a big sticker saying no oil!
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-02-2007, 2:10 AM Reply   
So Jay what does it feel like when you hear the lifters making THAT noise and then realize......OH NO, no oil!
Old     (headhunter)      Join Date: Jun 2007       10-02-2007, 6:30 AM Reply   
Leave the oil in...without some sort of lube, condensation builds up in the motor, and causes rust. I would turn motor over once twice a month, so oil gets to top of motor. Why take a chance on memory.
Old     (dansmith)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-02-2007, 6:49 AM Reply   
Haven't you guys seen those Castrol commercials? He can run that thing for at least 5 hours w/ full ballast before he has any problems.
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-02-2007, 8:05 AM Reply   
Bear Grils (spelling) would just pee in it.
Old     (waterfreak)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-02-2007, 8:14 AM Reply   
Les Stroud > Bear Grylls

Bear is a fake.
Old     (headhunter)      Join Date: Jun 2007       10-02-2007, 8:17 AM Reply   
Agreed..Les is the real deal.
Old     (waterfreak)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-02-2007, 8:18 AM Reply   
Bear Grylls roughs it in hotels and then goes out to film....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=470155&in_page_id=1770
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-02-2007, 8:36 PM Reply   
uh headhunter he is only leaving the oil out for a week. You said to restart in a month?????Does anyone actually read these posts or just reply whatever comes to mind??????????????
Old     (chaser)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-03-2007, 10:14 AM Reply   
yeah, don't worry about leaving the gas tank empty. It shouldn't be a problem, right Bob?
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-03-2007, 9:21 PM Reply   
Well if its a plastic tank it shouldnt be a problem....unless he forgets to fill it prior to making a run offshore Now metal tanks, which arent used much anymore, definitely should not be left all winter with low or no fuel.