Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 15, 2006

Old     (elduche)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-14-2006, 7:34 AM Reply   
Does anyone know what kind/size of hose I need to connect a gas can to the water separating fuel filter outlet? what sort of connection does it need to have?

Sorry, i would just look myself but the boat is out at the cottage and I need to buy the hose before I head out there this weekend.

I am going to be following this procedure to winterize my boat:

http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Bullet/01/01_15.pdf

with respect to fogging, you will see it states:

1. Disconnect and plug boat’s fuel line from Water Separating Fuel Filter inlet.
2. Connect remote outboard fuel tank (with the fogging mixture) to the inlet of the Water
Separating Fuel Filter

If anyone knows it would save me a drive out and back.

Thanks!
Old     (trash)      Join Date: Jul 2001       09-14-2006, 9:59 AM Reply   
if you haven't changed out your water separator filter yet, empty 1/2 of it out and fill it up with 2 stroke oil. Then run your engine for a minute or 3. After you shut the engine off, spin off the old separator and put on the new one.

This is what it says to do in my Merc winterizing manual.

Trash
Old     (jorellz)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-14-2006, 10:00 AM Reply   
Duncan,
I actually don't have the boat here to check the size of the hose, so it may be a couple of days before I can get that 4 you. So let me know if you are still lookin in the next couple of days.

As far as fogging etc. my service guy has went through his procedure with me a few times. And fill the tank full and put a bottle of fuel stabilizer in the tank. ( Less then a full tank can produce moisture. ) Remove the water/fuel seperator and pour out the fuel into a clean container. Mix approx 1:10 ratio of Merc oil into the fuel and pour it back into the filter. Put the fuel filter back on and run until the a couple min.

I am not sure if anyone has any other procedures, however this is what I was told and how I have done it on other boats in addition to regular winterizing activities.

Hope this helps and feel free to correct and add!

Jase

(Message edited by jorellz on September 14, 2006)
Old    brodster            09-14-2006, 1:21 PM Reply   
What about removing the flame arrestor and spraying a fogging spray in while the engine is running, and shutting off just prior to stalling. This is what I was told works well, so I did this last year and it seemed to work. Also added the fuel stabalizer. If there's down-sides to this, I'd love to hear them....

Thanks,

Barry.
Old     (yooper)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-14-2006, 5:34 PM Reply   
The only downside occurs if your boat is fuel injected. You (for whatever reason) shouldn't spray fogging oil into the intake on a fuel injected motor.

That said.... I do, and it hasn't been a problem.
Old     (daddydoo)      Join Date: May 2006       09-14-2006, 7:37 PM Reply   
why no to fogging a fuel injected motor, i was taught how to winterize my boat last winter by my dealer rep, and we fogged the motor directly into the intake. fired right up this spring with no issues at all. did this for years on old boat (with carb)and could see no difference to new boat(5.7 merc fi).any reasons why before i do boat again this fall??
Old    brodster            09-15-2006, 7:41 AM Reply   
Dale. Did you buy your boat from Mike Piche? I see your on Kal lake. I love that lake! We spent a week there last Summer. I looked at the Merc manual that came with my boat and it gives the same instructions that Duncan Purvis posted. Perhaps the spray can fowl up the injectors??

Barry.
Old     (jorellz)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-15-2006, 9:56 AM Reply   
Dale, Barry...if we are all around the area we should get together for a good session? Any takers??
I am not the best rider...but I love to be out there and up for meeting some new people!?

Jase
Old     (daddydoo)      Join Date: May 2006       09-15-2006, 10:54 AM Reply   
barry, i did get it from michael, and we too love kal, there often as possible, and where are you from, what boat do you have.jase, love to hook up, other than family not alot of interested friends in to watersports.on holidays now for ten days and hope to get out ,e mail me and we can try to meet up.
Old     (elduche)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-15-2006, 1:24 PM Reply   
allright, enough with your BC riders love in! back to boats! I think I am just jelous cause its about 2 degrees here today and I'm likely going to have to bring the boat in this weekend due to freezing temps. Too bad, we are sometimes good to Thanksgiving, but not this year it looks like.

In case you guys didnt know, Jason owns the best little Sanger dealership around! He helped me with my boat last year, and I love it!

The method I posted is found in my manual, but Jason's method seems to be more straightforward. I guess my only question is amounts. the manual would put about 1.89 litres of 2 stroke oil and 20 litres of gas in the engine, while I would venture that the fuel filter only holds about a litre or so total?
Old     (daddydoo)      Join Date: May 2006       09-15-2006, 1:30 PM Reply   
its not alot better here in kelowna, about 12 degrees and not real nice, maybe tomorrow.as far as fogging goes, guess i will try to do the new method, it sounds a little more complicated as to amounts and ratios, but nothin worth doing right comes easy.
Old     (boarder_x)      Join Date: Mar 2006       09-15-2006, 1:39 PM Reply   
2 degrees .... 12 degrees ....

We are still sitting in the mid 80's.
Old     (elduche)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-15-2006, 2:09 PM Reply   
BAH!
Old    brodster            09-15-2006, 11:10 PM Reply   
Dale. I live in Chilliwack, and we spend most of our days at Cultas. I bought a 2005 Tornado from Mike. I'm curious to know why it's O.K. to run 2 cycle oil through the intake, but not fogging spray. I thought the main reason for doing this is to coat the cylinders for an easier start up in the Spring? My Brother-in-Law removed the plugs and sprayed directly into each cylinder of his boat. I think I'll fire off an email to Merc and see what they say about it all.
Old     (daddydoo)      Join Date: May 2006       09-16-2006, 9:26 AM Reply   
hey barry, i am still a little puzzled as to why this new way and not the way ive always done it, fogging directly into the intake. im still looking for answers to this before we have to put our babies away.was at cultas once and what a gong show.lots of boats.how you like your boat?.
Old    brodster            09-16-2006, 10:04 AM Reply   
Cultas IS a total gong show. You have to be first on and last off to get the best water, and get the hell out of the way in between! We always look forward to going to the interior for holidays. As for my boat. It's been great! I'm a skier by trade so it gives me nice wakes for that, and with ballast and extra people, were able to surf behind it. I was very happy with the 'crossover' abilities of it this year. I just got a wakeboard for myself this season, so I'm still pretty green at it. I updated my profile with a pic. I waw your in your profile. Great looking boat!
Old     (daddydoo)      Join Date: May 2006       09-16-2006, 9:49 PM Reply   
thanks, really enjoying it, we mostly surf and some wakeboarding,rarely ski anymore,kids are great surfers this year, they pick it up so easy.do you go through october skiing, or do you shut down earlier,i try to stay out till early nov, but family starts complaining long before then
Old    brodster            09-16-2006, 10:08 PM Reply   
I hear ya! My family is fair weather as well. My oldest is only 7, but I have some fearless teenage nieces that will go any time. We've been out as early as Feb (Water was a cozy 44F) and into November to. I sent an email to Merc regarding the fogging methods. I'll let you know the outcome. My boat has to go in for some warranty work soon so I may have my new dealer do the winterizing this year.
Old     (elduche)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-17-2006, 7:36 AM Reply   
Please do let us know what merc says. it got to -4 here last night so i had to put mine away yesterday. I usually like to try and ride until at least thanksgiving!

I used the method jason suggested, and it worked very well. Again, the only concern i had was amounts. The fuel filter method only puts a couple hundred mls through the engine. I let it run for about 5 minutes (enough time to run all the antifreeze through the engine) and when I took the fulter off, the fuel was still a little blue from the 2 stroke oil. I'm just glad I got the antifreeze in prior to the freeze. I may try fogging, or the remote tank method next weekend. I'll be interested to hear what mercruiser has to say. Is it tough to get the flame arrester off?
Old     (elduche)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-17-2006, 7:37 AM Reply   
oh, and BTW, the anser to my question is simply a half inch rubber hose attached with a hose clamp!
Old    brodster            09-17-2006, 8:41 PM Reply   
Duncan. The flame arrestor is easily removed. Single nut in the middle, and it should slide right off. You need two people for this method though so that the boat can be shut off right before it stalls. That way you know there's fogging spray in the system. At least this is how I was told to do it!

Is there anyone else doing this or am I totally off base!
Old     (jorellz)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-18-2006, 8:37 AM Reply   
Duncan,
As far as amounts, there really isn't a difference. I talked to my service guy today and he said really, it will all burn off, it will just be, how much you smoke in the spring! ( Remember this is second hand, not out of my head so take it as you will ) Also he showed me that that method of fogging comes straight from the service maual for winterizing sent to all service shops from Merc. I will see if I can get a copy and send it to you!

Jase
Old     (jorellz)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-18-2006, 8:40 AM Reply   
Duncan,
Also drop me an email and let me know how things are going! As well any pics you have of recent! And as for being here...well then I guess you should come out for a weekend eh? ;-)

Jase

P.S. Thanks for the plug!! lol I hope I can keep that opinion with everyone a Sanger goes to!
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-18-2006, 9:37 AM Reply   
Come on Jase. You should provide everyone covered heated storage so that we can use our boats any time. Okanagan Lake was glass all weekend... ahhhhh what a ride!!!!
Old     (jorellz)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-18-2006, 1:12 PM Reply   
lol Hey I know! I was out on it! Well for a short run anyway! I got called into work just after I got out! Grrrrrr