Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Girls Who Ride

Old     (beachbum22)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-14-2007, 10:20 AM Reply   
Hi!!

Well, I’m new here, I’m a “noobie” to wakeboarding, I’ve only been riding for about a month and I have a couple of questions for anyone who has the patience to answer them haha =)

First off, I’m not very big - 5’4, 105lbs - and I’ve been riding my husband’s board, which is an older (2002 maybe) Hyperlite 143. I’ve read that people ride larger or smaller boards depending on what riding style they like. So, I’m wondering, how can you tell if a board is too big for you?

Second, what difference does riding with or without fins make? Is one way easier or harder?

Third, when I come back in the wake from either side (especially the right side (toe side) my board goes wobbly from left to right, like I’m on ice. How can I become more stable when coming back into the middle of the wake?
Old     (sonironi)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-14-2007, 6:53 PM Reply   
Hi there,

I'm also new. last year was my 1st time going, this year my boyfriend was nice enough to get my gear for me. I'm 30, 4'8" and 100 lbs. I wear kids shoes w/very narrow heels so finding binding was the hardest. he found liquid force bindings that are just like adult sizes and lace up so I can sinch my feet in. I have a Liquid force Angel board, 130 and I love it. it's light weight and so much easier to learn how to manuever than bigger boards. if you really like the sport, it may be worth the $$$ to invest in your own equipment. I've been told by more experienced people that getting an intermediate board is better than a beginners cuz you can "grow" w/it. Also, what I've seen and again have been told, w/o fins can make you squirely and for some, i've heard they found it to be harder w/o the fins. i don't know if that's just a personal preference or not, but I can understand the engineering w/putting the fins on. do you ride goofy (right foot forward)? from what I'm learning, when we feel like we're on ice, it has to do with learning how to control the board and how we manuever our bodies, etc. 1 step at a time. for me, I finally am able to stay behind the boat, now I want to go back outside the wake and learn how to come back in...so many things I want to learn. Just enjoy the exercise and have fun!!!
Old     (beachbum22)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-15-2007, 4:41 AM Reply   
Hi!!

I've been dying for my own gear, but haven't been able to afford it just yet. I'm definitely looking for a smaller board, new or used I don't care =)

I'm goofy foot, but I'm going to try regular/switch. I want to get used to it as early as possible. Like Shawna Hoffman - I have no idea which foot is her lead cuz she switches all the time haha =)

Another question - how do you girls hold the handle? My hubbie holds it like a bat. I tried it and although its comfy, I find I have more stability when I hold it with both palms down. What's your preference?
Old     (hgaugh)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-15-2007, 11:20 AM Reply   
hey there Melissa- Welcome to the site and to the sport. You will love it...you are asking some good questions and I am sure you will get lots of good advice from folks. The following is my opinion only...:-)

- Size of boards is dependent on your riding style; but I would recommend getting a board that is more fit for your style and entry into the sport. Wrong sized gear with new riders can lead to some bad habits to form early on to compensate for the size of the board. i.e. Leaning in too much on your edge or incorrect stance. With your size you probably are more around a 132 - 135. I think Criswb might be on this site and I think she is relatively tiny too...she rides a Jett (I think) there are a few others. I am 150 and 5'7" I ride a 135 LF Diva. So you can see a smaller board might help you out.

- On the fins, this is really about preference. The fins help with tracking in the water. Sometimes I ride with and sometimes without. Without fins on my Diva it is alot looser and opens up more when I am doing surface tricks. While I have been boarding for 4 yrs...I am a low key rider...no major air for me...so beyond hopefully some of the intermediate/pros can tell you more about the fins. but at least that is a start!

- Holding the handle, proper form is important. Placement of the handle should be around your hip with both hands gripped palms down. This is in your normal riding stance. Grip will change as you do/learn other tricks but also people develop their own style and personal preference.

Hope that helps girl!
Old     (kylielogan)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-17-2007, 6:07 AM Reply   
welcome melissa! usually near the end of the season board shops have "swaps" where they sell their demo gear and other people bring gear in to sell. maybe check around your area to see if those are going on so you could buy some good gear for less money. i agree with wakechick - correct grip is both hands palms down. the point is to keep the handle low, which is hard to do consistently with one palm pointing toward the sky.
Old     (beachbum22)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-17-2007, 11:02 AM Reply   
Ok, I just bought a new board – O’Brien Blindside Flower, 132 – I couldn’t find any reviews on this board, but since it was in my price range I figured I’d give it a shot. It should be better than my husband’s old board anyway, and if I don’t like it, I can always sell it. Unfortunately it’s being shipped from AZ to MA and it’s going to take awhile to get here. =(

Anyway, this weekend I’m going to try riding switch and see if I can learn how to do a surface 180. I had a dream the other night that I was riding switch and doing surface 180’s like it was nothing. Hopefully it was a premonition of this weekend =)

By the way, thanks for all the advice girls! I really appreciate it.
Old     (tcluv85)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-17-2007, 9:31 PM Reply   
Hey Melissa - Welcome!

What year is the Flower? I rode an 04 Flower for my second board. It is a good board.

http://www.wakeworld.com/boardguide/getboard6.asp?ProductID=2793

http://www.wakeworld.com/boardguide/getboard5.asp?ProductID=2379

http://www.wakeworld.com/boardguide/getboard4.asp?ProductID=1861

Have fun out there.
Old     (finleym)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-17-2007, 9:41 PM Reply   
Welcome to the sport Melissa. The 132 is a good size for you with your weight and height. I agree with the wakechick. I would keep my fins on unless you are wanting to learn some surface tricks first. I have been riding for a few years and I keep my fins on....it gives alot more traction when you land so you don't feel so out of control. I am going to try to learn some inverts soon. I can clear heelside and toeside w2w and am getting better at riding switch. Good luck and I hope that you enjoy you new board!! :-)
Old     (hgaugh)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-20-2007, 8:46 AM Reply   
Hey Melissa, curious out your weekend went...did you have a ball on your new board??!!
Old     (beachbum22)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-21-2007, 4:25 AM Reply   
Hi!

Unfortunately my new board hasn’t arrived yet, so I couldn’t try it this weekend. However, I did ride a lot on my husband’s board. I learned how to catch pretty good air coming in and out of the wake, but I can’t go w2w yet, and I learned how to stabilize myself after landings (it really helps to have your elbows bent!) My husband told me that one time I got pretty high and some guys on the shore were clapping!! Nice! Haha!

bsflower (tcluv85)To answer your question, I believe the board is a 2005, but I bought it new. Here’s a link for it: http://www.wakeworld.com/boardguide/getboard6.asp?ProductID=2793
Old     (hgaugh)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-21-2007, 7:50 AM Reply   
that is a BIG step girl...awesome to hear that you are catching some air!!! W2W will come...and the biggest thing is to HAVE FUN.

Can't wait to hear how your new board rides!
Old     (wakerider143)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-13-2007, 2:34 PM Reply   
melissa, its definetly better to hold it two hands on top. If yo look at any of the pros thats how they are holding it. Im guessing you husband used to(or still does) waterski.
Old     (beachbum22)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-17-2007, 4:32 AM Reply   
Yes! He used to water ski for years!

I've suggested to him to try holding the handle the other way, but he says it isn't comfortable. I find I have more stability when I hold it palms down...