Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003 > Archive through September 24, 2004

Old    milo_lite            08-15-2004, 12:34 PM Reply   
MY DAD wants to get a house boat or mini yacht, the yacht about 50 ft. tha thing is that he doesnt have to much of hours behind the wheel. I think he just wants one because he sees them all over the lake and thinks it might be easy to have one. Ive convinced him to first try it out then buy one if he really likes it. The problem is that i havent found a place that rents out any yacht, iam talking about sundancer that type. Does anyone know where we can lease a 50 ft. for a day or two. my home lake is lake travis, in austin tx. any good info or tips on this will be helpful ..thanx..
Old     (512boarder)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-15-2004, 1:13 PM Reply   
i think vip marina next to volente beach renta a 50ft sundancer? either that or that is just a costomer boat
Old     (98_searay)      Join Date: May 2004       08-15-2004, 2:03 PM Reply   
dude get a house boat there a lot better there better for parties and stuff
-alex-
Old     (salmon_tacos)      Join Date: Jan 2003       08-15-2004, 2:04 PM Reply   
There's a Sundancer 410 for sale through Sail and Ski in Austin (www.sailandski.com). It's not quite a 500 but maybe your dad could arrange a "test cruise" and see if he really wants a boat that big or bigger.
Old    milo_lite            08-16-2004, 2:32 PM Reply   
THANX GUYS WILL CHECK THESE OUT..YEAH I KNOE HOUSE BOATS ARE BETTER FOR PARTIES...BUT ANYHOW..
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-16-2004, 10:12 PM Reply   
I have had both.....

For about 9 years I had a 36 Carver. It was a great boat, but as the kids grew larger the boat grew smaller. We could sleep 8, but it was crowded and couldn't really go beyond that. The advantage of the yacht, at least in my area, is that it was sea worthy. Since my home water is the California Delta that meant I could (and did) cruise on down to the bay or even out into the ocean.

I bought a 55' houseboat a year ago and now we can fit a whole lot more people than I care to be with! :-)

The boat sleeps 8 in beds and you can throw sleeping bags everywhere, or pitch tents on the roof. We have had 14 people for a long weekend. Obviously, being able to accomodate lots of people is a big advantage of a houseboat. Another big advantage is that, foot for foot, a houseboat costs a lot less than a yacht would.

A yacht is actually easier to drive than a houseboat, and they can be faster. If the lake is big and/or can have major storms the yacht is much more likely to handle them.

If you (or in this case, your dad) enjoys cruising in the boat, he will enjoy a yacht much more. If the pleasure of boating is to drop the anchor in a favorite spot and sit all weekend a houseboat will serve him much better.

Rod
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       08-17-2004, 7:16 AM Reply   
We looked at a 55ft Azimut yacht a couple of years ago. It had a price tag of 1.5M and cost about $5K in gas everytime you want to take it out. Needless to say, we settled on a 55ft cat.